Online Services

my Social Security Saves You Time for the Important Things

April 30, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

Time is our most valuable resource. How you spend it is important. A my Social Security account helps free your time for the important things. What is a my Social Security account? Watch this video to find out:

Have you got a personal my Social Security account? If not, open yours today. You’ll find it’s easy, convenient, and secure.

This Financial Literacy Month, take control of your future, and see what you can do online.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Hector R.

    I Like to inform you of my change of address, my banking account remains the same.
    Hector Rosa
    Carborca Y Atil
    Condominio G-102
    Benito Juarez
    Fraccionmieto Caracoles Homes
    Puerto Penasco, Sonora Mexico 83550

    • Snarky

      You can’t change your address on a public blog site nor should you give out private information.
      No puede cambiar su dirección en un sitio de blog público ni debe dar información privada.

  2. Dorothy L.

    I have to have some minor surgery by an germatologist, they sent me a form to fill out and asked for my social security number. I never had my regular physician ask that on his form. I thought we were never to give out our number. I need to know what to do by the end of May when the surgery is to be performed. Thank you for your response about this matter. Dorothy Laigle

    • Snarky

      Ask him what he needs the number for. A germatologist, oh my!!

    • Tricia

      Medical billing goes on your credit, so yes, you need to give your SSN to medical providers.

  3. Philip M.

    How can I update my account to reduce the amount of the Medicare Part B and D monthly adjustments for myself and my wife since my 2017 income tax return shows we are no longer in the highest bracket. What will you need from me, or will you already have that information from my 2017 tax return. Also, does my 2017 self-employment social security contribution now again increase my present and future monthly benefit?

    • Snarky

      Take your copy of the return to the local office.

      • Dwight g.

        I just submitted my ssa retirement application but made a mistake regarding Medicare part b
        How can I correct the application

  4. Donald C.

    I’ve been married for 33years, it’s been a great marriage we have 2 grown children together,our age difference is 23 years. My wife is now 51 and I am 74. I have health issues that need Attention now And then. Is there any way ss could kick in early. My wife is working to supplement our income. Is there anything we can do to have her home with me in my later years,thank you.

    • Snarky

      She could work from home.

  5. Jackie T.

    I don’t have a social security account and have my check direct deposit due to the lack of security on my computer.

    • Snarky

      Good for you. I have a Social Security account and have never needed it. You may want to do something about your security.

  6. Beverly W.

    I have not been able to open my account. I’m told I have to provide the correct information. Well, what information is on file for me to know what information needs to be changed.

  7. Arun D.

    SSA keep on boasting their achievements, but can’t implement as simple things as allowing receipients to change their federal tax withholding ONLINE.

    YES, you can change Direct deposit, but not tax withholding? What a great service SSA is doing !

    • Snarky

      So, it’s too much of a bother to use the mail. phone or go to a local office? Poor baby!

      • Amanda G.

        That was rude. Why do people come here? A lot of things can be done online now. I was wondering if I could reapply online. So nobody should be nasty here. We are here to help each other.

    • John S.

      so what form is needed to change Federal withholding and where do we send it?

      • Ann C.

        Hi, John. In order to have taxes withheld or to change your withholding amount from your Social Security benefit, you must start by printing, completing and submitting an IRS Voluntary Withholding Request Form (Form W-4V). On this form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld. The Form W-4V (to withhold federal taxes from your Social Security benefits) can be returned to your local Social Security office by mail. See our Benefits Planner: Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits web page for more information. We hope this helps.

  8. Susan M.

    I hope I can remember all that was talked about in video. I would like a link to see a list of what I can do on my Social Security. Then I could paste in on refrigerator for regular reminder of the easy solutions provided at My Medicare.

    • Snarky

      Social Security has free booklets for almost any subject covering services they provide.

      • Peter S.

        I forgot my login email address. How can I recover it?
        Peter Schenck

  9. RW

    how do ya feel toward people applying for disability for chronic idiopathic urticarial which comes with no energy or sleep, lots of pain and doctors have no way of diagnosing it or helping her. she can’t keep a job she is my wife and only 42 years old it is a very bad disease.

  10. Lois C.

    I am wondering on behalf of my new Severe Medical issues that will allow me not to gain any employment i am wondering at 58 years old in oct 2018 and i am wondering working well over 14 years or more of total employment ,i am wondering if i can receive more than $550.00 a month. I gave to pay 1,000 a month in rent and i am looking at eviction. I think they have it wrong on my years i have total worked too. Because i was with A C Moore for 10 years i worked for walmart for awhile i worked at Belfast Me Renys for a few years worked I need a Social Security Attorney to help me because I am in Dire need of help and I know nothing or who to talk too,when i one my disablity Social Security I was only based on a few things I now been diognoised with ptsd ans A fibulation a heart issue which are two very severe diblitating social mental and medical has been added i just wonder if i would get more from another type of social security,but i need a social security lawyer or someone to advocate for me ,i do not understand any of this and I am in crictal need of help asap begire i am eviceted from my home. Please I need help. mi is my e mail address. Thank you God Bless You for any help that can be given to me.

    • Snarky

      You may be entitled to Supplemental Security Income or SSI. Call 800-772-1213. The amount you can receive is based upon income resources and where you live since some States supplement the federal payment. You need to also check with your county assistance office for additional help.
      Getting sicker is not material to the amount you receive.

Comments are closed.