Online Services

It’s More Convenient Than Ever to Apply for Social Security Benefits

July 6, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

man and woman looking at each other and smiling You’ve worked hard your whole life, and receiving your Social Security benefits should be the icing on the cake at your retirement party. We’re working hard to make it as quick and seamless as possible for you to apply for benefits from Social Security.

Simply visit our Apply for Social Security Benefits page to get started. Through our safe and secure website, you can apply for:

  • Retirement benefits.
  • Spousal benefits.
  • Medicare.
  • Disability benefits.
  • Extra Help with Medicare prescription drug plan costs.
  • Supplemental Security Income.

You don’t have to be internet savvy to finish most of our online applications in one sitting with your computer. Or, if you prefer, we offer you the options to apply in person at your Social Security office or by telephone with one of our application representatives. Please call 1-800-772-1213 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. weekdays to schedule an appointment.

You should also call us to schedule an appointment if you wish to apply for certain family benefits, including those for surviving spouses and children, divorced spouses and dependent children, and parents of beneficiaries.

After you’ve applied for benefits — whether online, by phone, or in person — you can securely and quickly check the status of a pending claim through your online my Social Security account. If you haven’t created your account yet, you can do so today.

You can also use my Social Security to view estimates of how much you would receive in retirement benefits and potential disability benefits and how much your loved ones could receive in family or survivor benefits.

We’re with you throughout life’s journey, from applying for your first job to receiving your first retirement payment. And we’re proud to help ensure a secure future for you and your loved ones.

To learn more about our programs and online services, please visit our website.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Tracy

    Hubby is applying now.
    1. For security, SSA is asking him to recall phone numbers and addresses all the way back to infancy! If he gets one wrong he is booted for 24 hours.
    2. SSA asking him to enter digits off his driver license and one credit card. He has entered each digit meticulously correctly but is booted off for incorrect answer.
    3. A SSA rep on the phone will give him absolutely no help, guidance, or information.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Tracy, thanks for using our blog. We are sorry to hear about the difficulties your husband is experiencing. Your husband can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or he can contact his local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  2. steven r.

    dont have activation code

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Steven, thank you for using our blog. An activation code is provided after visiting a Social Security field office with identification. A representative in the office will verify your identity and issue you a letter containing an activation code. Our offices are not providing service to walk-in visitors at this time. To create a my Social Security account, click on Create New Account. We hope this helps.

  3. Alison B.

    I called SS and a rep helped me start my application process for collecting SS. They are going to call me for a scheduled phone appt next week , to finish the process. What info do I need at that time?

  4. James W.

    i began the application process recently, and signed off to obtain information. I have now obtained the Social Security account, but can’t seem to get back to completing the original application…. where do I go? I am not retiring and will not be applying to receive any benefits at this time.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, James. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  5. Margaret M.

    I would like an appointment at my local Harrisburg pa office.

    • Luis A.

      Hi Margaret. If you still would like to make an appointment at one of the Harrisburg, PA Social Security offices, please call our toll free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), from Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. You may also contact your local Social Security office directly. We hope this helps.

Comments are closed.