General, Online Services

Receive Social Security Benefits? Keep Your Address Up-to-Date with my Social Security

April 8, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

" "Keeping your address up to date with a my Social Security account helps us mail your important documents to the correct place. If you receive benefits, you can use my Social Security to update your address. If you’ve moved recently, updating your information sooner rather than later will help us deliver important documents to you, including:

  • Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099);
  • Important notices; and
  • Your Medicare card when you first enroll or if you need a replacement.

Even if you get your benefits by direct deposit, Social Security must have your correct address so we can send letters and other important information to you.

If you don’t have a my Social Security account already, you can open one today. This is the easiest way for you to keep your information up to date. Within minutes you’ll have access to your personal information as well as control over important documents like your Benefit Statement (SSA-1099), which can be replaced if you lose it.

While you’re there, you can also check to see if your earnings record is correct. Social Security keeps a record of how much you’ve made so that you get the benefits you deserve. We can only pay you your correct benefit if your records are correct.

Putting you in control of your future is a key part of securing today and tomorrow, and having your correct mailing address helps us get important documents and payments to you. With my Social Security, we help you receive the information you need, when you need it. Open or access your safe and secure account today.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. David S.

    I live in Spain and need to register a change of address,but the “my social security ” page won’t allow me to register as I do not have a US address. What do I do now ??

    • V.V.

      Thanks for the question, David. At this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or access your online account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet.

      We recommend that individuals living outside the United States contact the nearest Federal Benefit Unit in the area for any assistance related to Social Security programs and benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad.

  2. kenneth k.

    I cant get on line I never have a problem but the last few days I cant get on line

    • V.V.

      Hi Kenneth, thanks for using our blog. We are aware of some users experiencing difficulty accessing our online services and are working on them at this time. We apologize for any inconvenience.

  3. Vivian N.

    I need to change my mailing address. I was having my mail sent to a post office and now I want it changed to go to my home address. How can I do this on line

    • V.V.

      Hi Vivian, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to change your address. We hope this is helpful!

  4. Robert K.

    I have not received my Social Security check this month it’s due on the second Wednesday I don’t understand why I have not received it please

    • V.V.

      Hi Robert, thanks for using our blog. If you did not receive your Social Security or SSI benefit, please contact your bank or financial institution first. They may be able to determine if your direct deposit failed. If you still need to report a late, missing or stolen Social Security payment, call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

Comments are closed.