Special Events

Getting Married Soon? Give Social Security Your New Name

June 2, 2016 • By

Wedding-SeasonEvery year, June marks the beginning of two busy seasons: summer and “wedding season.” With joyful expectation, many of us have already marked our calendars and started wrapping up our plans for the vacations, ceremonies, and honeymoons. While the betrothed work out the details, Social Security wants to remind them about one detail that’s extremely important: the “record” Social Security keeps of your life’s earnings.

For many people, a wedding often means a name change is in order. If you are legally changing your name, you need to apply for a replacement Social Security card reflecting your new name. If you’re working, also tell your employer. That way, Social Security can keep track of your earnings history as you go about living your wonderful new life.

If you have reported income under your former or maiden name, and didn’t inform us of a change, we might not have received an accurate W-2 and your earnings may have been recorded incorrectly. This is easier to fix now — when you first change your name — than years from now when you retire, when it may cause delays in receiving your benefits. This is important because we base your future benefits on your earnings record. So, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber, or call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), to find out what specific documents you need to change your name and to apply for a replacement card.

Last year, the Supreme Court issued a decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, holding that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry regardless of where they live within the United States. As a result, Social Security recognizes more same-sex couples as married for purposes of determining entitlement to Social Security benefits or eligibility for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments. We recently updated instructions for employees to process claims and appeals when a determination of marital status is necessary.

With these changing rules, we encourage anyone who believes they may be eligible for benefits to apply now. You can learn more about our policies for same-sex couples at www.ssa.gov/people/same-sexcouples.

After the honeymoon, you can focus on your career or starting a family, moving to a new home, and securing a well-deserved retirement. Now, you’re all set. Let the celebrations begin!

Tags: , , , ,

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Comments

1. Kathi Brady

Need a form to complete so I can change my last name to my new married name

Hi, Kathi. In order to change your name on your Social Security card, you must show us a document that proves your legal name change. If the document you provide as evidence of a legal name change does not give us enough information to identify you in our records, you must show us an identity document in your old name (as shown in our records). It is the identity document (also known as your ID) that we will accept if it has expired; however, we still will need to see proof (legal document) of the name change. We offer the option for you to mail your completed application with original or certified documents to your local Social Security office. For more information about how and what to submit, visit our Frequently Asked Questions. We hope this helps.

2. Christine Melanie Churches

I would like to change my name to Christine Melanie Wright

Hi Christine, thanks for using our blog. If your name is correct on the Social Security card, and your name was not legally changed, there is no action that is needed with Social Security. If you need to change or correct your name on your Social Security card, check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details, including documentation requirements. We hope this helps.

3. Katharine Gravelle

I was married In March, 2020. I need to change my name and get a new social security card in order to get a new drivers license and passport, as well as to change my name on bills, credit cards, bank accounts, etc.

Since my local office was shut down due to Covid-19, in the middle of March I mailed them an application with documents. I received a letter indicating that my drivers license was not acceptable because it was notoriized but not certified. My other documents, including a certified copy of the marriage license were not returned and eventually the SS office determined they were lost.

It has now been 6 months since the office was open for in person appointments for name changes. HOW CAN I GET THIS DONE?

Hi Katharine, thanks for using our blog. We are very sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with Social Security. Please continue to work with your local office. Look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

4. Maria Stuckey Lovering

I sent in a application to have my name changed due to marriage It was sent to St Augustine FL location. Its been 3 weeks and I’ve not heard anything. Please let me know the status. Thanks Maria Stuckey 386-336-6897

Hi Maria, thanks for using our blog. Please contact your local Social Security office. Look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

5. Susan Bruso

where do I mail my in my name change information.

Hi Susan, thanks for using our blog. Use our Social Security Office Locator to obtain your local office mailing address. We hope this helps!

6. Carmen Acosta

When I sign my marriage license do I use the name I want to have on my social security card or does it matter?

Hi Carmen, thanks for using our blog. Please ask that question to the agency that is processing your marriage license. If you need to change your name on your Social Security card due to marriage, check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for the details on how to do that.

7. Ginger Orr

need a form to complete so I can change from my married name to maiden name. I am divorced since 2004.

Hi Ginger, thank you for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to change your name. If you do not want to mail in your documents, which will be returned, you may need to wait for the offices to reopen. Use our Social Security Office Locator to find your local office address. We hope this helps.

8. Nuria Hernandez

i need to change my last name. Is ssn taking appt?
    how do i make an appt?

Hi Nuria, thank you for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to change your name. If you do not want to mail in your documents, which will be returned, you may need to wait for the offices to reopen. Use our Social Security Office Locator to find your local office address. We hope this helps.

9. Samantha paunee Fernandez

I got married oct 9th would love to change my name

Congratulations, Samantha! Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to change your name. If you do not want to mail in your documents, which will be returned, you may need to wait for the offices to reopen. Use our Social Security Office Locator to find your local office address. We hope this helps.

10. Samantha paunee Fernandez