Special Events

Getting Married Soon? Give Social Security Your New Name

June 2, 2016 • By

Wedding-SeasonEvery year, June marks the beginning of two busy seasons: summer and “wedding season.” With joyful expectation, many of us have already marked our calendars and started wrapping up our plans for the vacations, ceremonies, and honeymoons. While the betrothed work out the details, Social Security wants to remind them about one detail that’s extremely important: the “record” Social Security keeps of your life’s earnings.

For many people, a wedding often means a name change is in order. If you are legally changing your name, you need to apply for a replacement Social Security card reflecting your new name. If you’re working, also tell your employer. That way, Social Security can keep track of your earnings history as you go about living your wonderful new life.

If you have reported income under your former or maiden name, and didn’t inform us of a change, we might not have received an accurate W-2 and your earnings may have been recorded incorrectly. This is easier to fix now — when you first change your name — than years from now when you retire, when it may cause delays in receiving your benefits. This is important because we base your future benefits on your earnings record. So, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber, or call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), to find out what specific documents you need to change your name and to apply for a replacement card.

Last year, the Supreme Court issued a decision in Obergefell v. Hodges, holding that same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry regardless of where they live within the United States. As a result, Social Security recognizes more same-sex couples as married for purposes of determining entitlement to Social Security benefits or eligibility for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments. We recently updated instructions for employees to process claims and appeals when a determination of marital status is necessary.

With these changing rules, we encourage anyone who believes they may be eligible for benefits to apply now. You can learn more about our policies for same-sex couples at www.ssa.gov/people/same-sexcouples.

After the honeymoon, you can focus on your career or starting a family, moving to a new home, and securing a well-deserved retirement. Now, you’re all set. Let the celebrations begin!

Tags: , , , ,

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Comments

1. jason worrell

i have a court order to change my name and since the ss is close how do i change it. is there a way i can get a appt

2. Ruby Lee Williams

Where to mail my application to change my name I got married went to local office in Las. Vegas office closed Thank you

Hi Ruby, thank you for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to change your name. If you do not want to mail in your documents, which will be returned, you may need to wait for the offices to reopen. Use our Social Security Office Locator to find your local office address. We hope this helps.

3. Kathy A. Moore

I am 68 I would like to get married again. Will I loose my SSI for my disabilities, if I marry? I also have medicare and medicaide, so most any kind of operation, or procedure,,or therapy, it is taken care of. How would it affect me and my husband? I also need to know if we would claim any benefits as we have lived together as man a d wife for almost 43 years, Do we have any rights each others properties ,if one of us died now?

Hi Kathy, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how getting married could affect your benefits. We hope this helps!

4. Michele

I want to get marrry next year 2021.will lose my SSI and ssa

Hi Michele, thanks for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how marriage may affect benefits. We hope this helps!

5. Judy (Woerner) Wiles

I just got married July 18th and sent for a new ss card. But I’m 70 year’s old and on SS how do I let them know I’m married and my name has changed?

Hi Judy, congratulations on your recent marriage! To report your marriage, please call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

6. Deborah Castillo Starr

I need help on changing my name on my social security card to my married name

Hi Deborah, thank you for using our blog. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to change your name. If you do not want to mail in your documents, which will be returned, you may need to wait for the offices to reopen. Use our Social Security Office Locator to find your local office address. We hope this helps.

7. Vickie Young

I will get marry soon. What do with my SS check?

Hi Vickie, thanks for your question and congratulations. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how marriage may affect benefits. We hope this helps!

8. madrina23

so good

9. sabtorotbe

Today, there are various options on the table for lip happy and good for this articale trust you post again soon
    اخذ رتبه پیمانکاری