Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

Tax season is approaching, and Social Security has made replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier. The Benefit Statement is also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S. Now you can get a copy of your 1099 anytime and anywhere you want using our online services.

A Social Security 1099 is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return.

If you live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and request an instant, printable replacement form through your personal my Social Security account.

A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you already have a my Social Security account, you can log in to your online account to view and print your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document on your computer or laptop or even email it. If you don’t have a my Social Security account, creating one is very easy to do and usually takes less than 10 minutes.

If you receive benefits or have Medicare, your my Social Security account is also the best way to:

  • Get your benefit verification letter;
  • Check your benefit and payment information;
  • Change your address and phone number;
  • Change your direct deposit information;
  • Request a replacement Medicare card; or
  • Report your wages if you work and receive Social Security disability insurance or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

If you’re a noncitizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S in the mail. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

With a personal my Social Security account, you can do much of your business with us online, on your time, like get a copy of your SSA-1099 form. Visit our website to find out more.


1,116 thoughts on “Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

  1. I would like to receive by e-mail a copy of my 2019 SSA-1099 Social security Statement for tax purposes in Puerto Rico.
    Ñame: Aurea del Rosario Valcarcel Cervera
    SS *** – ** – ***.
    60 Street BC 16
    Hill Mansions
    San Juan PR 0092

    I have failed in my attempt via My SS.

  2. Reset code did not work again!!! This website is unprofessional and annoying!!!

    I know my password and my answers to my questions, however, I am still unable to get into my account.

    Website does NOT show or state anything about reset code even though I received one in the mail.

    No one answering phone. This is now the 4th time I am locked out!!!

    Fuck Republicans! Fuck Trump!

    • Hi John, thank you for using our blog. We are sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with your my Social Security account. When you sign in with your username and password, it will then ask if you received a reset letter. You select “Yes, let’s begin” . The reset code is issued when you need to change the second factor authentication method associated with your information.

      If you forgot your password, and the password reset questions didn’t work, we can send a temporary password in some circumstances. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to retrieve or change your username or password.

    • Eric, thank you for using our blog. For your security, we do not have access to your overpayment information in this venue. Our Overpayments factsheet offers information on options for repaying as well as appeal and waiver rights. For further assistance, please call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  3. How do I obtain a copy of a 2017 FORM SSA-1099 for my mother-in-law for whom I have been designated as an agent of Power of Attorney She has Alzheimer’s Disease and cannot establish her own “my Social Security Account”.

    • Hi Glenn. Because of privacy and security concerns, you will not be able to conduct Social Security business on behalf of your mother-in-law unless you are her representative payee. Having a power of attorney, being an authorized representative, or having a joint bank account with her does not authorize you to access information on her Social Security record. If your mother-in-law does not have a representative payee and she is not capable of managing and directing her Social Security benefits, someone should consider applying to be her payee. To learn more about becoming a representative payee, you can read our publication, “A Guide for Representative Payees” or visit our Representative Payee webpage.

      You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or your local office to inquire about applying to be your mother-in-law’s representative payee.

  4. I Marietta j koch need a replace of my 1099 income for 2019 so I can do my taxes.
    808 Gilly ave
    Bethlehem,pa 18015
    610 8677790
    Birth day. Oct.24 ,1936
    Last four social security number

  5. I need a copy of my cost of living letter that was issued in November 2018. I have been unable to use the Social Security website to obtain a copy. It seems I can get the letter for November, 2019 but not for November, 2018.

    • Hi, Joseph. It sounds like you are referring to the SSA-1099, tax form Social Security mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. For years prior to the last year, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. to speak to one of our representatives for assistance. You can also contact your local Social Security office. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this helps.

  6. I have tried numerous occasions to set up my own online account but have been denied each time. Why is this?

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *