Tax Season — It’s About What You Know

a picture of stree signs that read tax season, and again.Did you know that your Social Security benefits may be taxable?

This includes your monthly retirement, survivor, and disability benefits. About one-third of people receiving Social Security benefits must pay taxes on some of these benefits, depending on the amount of their taxable income. This may happen if you have other significant income in addition to your Social Security benefits.

To find out whether you must pay taxes on your benefits, you will need your Social Security Benefit Statement (Form SSA-1099/1042S). You should automatically receive it in the mail each January. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the Internal Revenue Service on your tax return. The benefit statement is not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), as SSI payments are not taxable.

If you didn’t receive your Benefit Statement or misplaced it, you can get an instant replacement easily by using your secure my Social Security account. If you don’t already have an online account, you can create one in minutes. Go to the my Social Security page, and select “Sign In or Create an Account.” Once you are logged in, select the “Replacement Documents” tab to obtain your replacement 1099 or 1042S benefit statement. You can also use your personal my Social Security account to keep track of your earnings each year, manage your benefits, and more.

You can also obtain a replacement benefit statement by calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), or contacting your local Social Security Office. If you live outside of the United States, please contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Don’t wait. Be ready! Open your own personal my Social Security account today.


150 thoughts on “Tax Season — It’s About What You Know

  1. And isn’t a damned shame the SS money goes to general funds and that we’re taxed on it as ordinary income. Boo!

    • The Congress should forfeit all retirement benefits until such time as the SS funds are replenished and the IOU’s are destroyed.

      • The problem is that the SS system was sold to the American people as an Insurance Program (OASI).

        In fact, it is just another Federal Income Tax program with no ownership by the payers in the so-called Trust.

        There is one set of “laws” to determine how much you are taxed and another set of “laws” to determine when and how much you will receive from the federal government.

      • I agree with 125%. They have that money a lot of months now. They think that money belongs to the government. Congress get a nice pay increase every year and it was vote on by them. So they don’t have worry about it.

    • I recommend changing the Presidential Election Campaign box on the IRS Forms 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ to the Social Security Solvency box and donating the $3/$6 to Social Security. There’s way to much money from special interest groups, lobbyists and Super PACS going to election campaigns these days to warrant having the Presidential Election Campaign box any longer. It doesn’t need shoring up. “

      If the “stubborn” politicians try to derail that then just Create a box right beside it asking taxpayers to contribute $1 or more to the Social Security Fund when filling their taxes. If game playing politicians won’t fix Social Security, “We the People will”. Thank you.


        • This is so true! Politicians make sure they get their fat checks and raises, and millions are sent to our enemies without the people consenting so they can receive special favors. Generations of medicaid abusers go unchecked and get all their medical bills and medications. Those of us on Social Security who worked and paid into it for retirement have to struggle and get extra coverage for their medical bills, medicare payments, and medications that are ridiculous to pay for, especially when we are in the gap, which they manage to raise to keep you in longer. Those who abuse get everything and those who are on Social Security struggle. the government keeps those on medicaid so they can count on their votes at election time.

  2. What is even worse is that those threshold levels of income that make someone subject to this tax, are NOT indexed to inflation. In not too many years, half of all SS recipients will be paying tax on these benefits.

  3. I like to know why it is that we have to pay taxes on SS when all these years we worked and SS was taken out of our pay, and we paid taxes when we worked. This boggles my mind that we work all our lives and we have to pay for Medicare and pay taxes on SS. It is not fair to the American people. I wish someone had an answer for me.

    • It’s because of those in power, whom you NEVER see! The Corporate elite (top 1%), the ones behind the money make the “rules”, and many people are aware that the IRS is NOT constitutional! They’ve been taking from the poor and the so-called “middle class” (which there is not even a middle class anymore) for so long now that people in America are afraid. Also, Social Security would still have more than enough to help everyone, but because of government secret black-ops projects, the ones with all the power take and take and take from our Social Security, and in many other ways including taxes and inflation (which they create!), etc., and then lie to us, as if it’s because of the “baby boomers” and other “reasons” that are not true! They have been stealing from us for so long, Americans don’t even bother to fight for our rights. That’s the short of it. There is far too much to say on the subject, but until people wake up and start seeing where the power really lies, they will not do anything about it.

        • Right, Cassandra, they should let you withdraw all your past contributions “tax free” and then tax(at your rate) all the gain. But they don’t because it is NOT a 401-K or an IRA, because SS is just ANOTHER tax on your pay, in addition to what YOU have held back for the federal and state taxes!

      • our great country is being pulled down because of the greed and power thirsty few that we have placed in positions to govern. These people have to know that the people is the government not the servants we vote in to represent the mass. Changes will come to the detriment of those few greedy ones.

      • I don’t blame the rich elite, they also pay taxes. I blame the crooked and corrupt politicians on both sides republicans and democrats, they make the laws, not the people nor the rich.

        • Not so! There is a cap on how much of your income is taxable for social security. So, if you are very rich you don’t have to pay SS.

          • The rich always find loopholes to save on their tax debt. Those who aren’t in that tax bracket don’t fit those loopholes and are stuck paying full taxes

      • The government tell us that the amount of SS recipients before the “Baby Boomers” was less than today and the ones that are paying today into the system is less. They are saying there’s not enough coming in to pay the “Baby Boomers”. So what happened to the excess they paid in when they were working?

      • Rose, the elite 1% have nothing to do with why social security is taxed. The Government (congress) has not indexed the threshold for paying taxes on social security benefits since 1983. 1983, can you believe that!! At that time singles with AGI over $25,000 up to $34,000, and married couples AGI over $32,000 up to $44,000 had to pay taxes on up to 50% of their social security benefits. Singles AGI over
        $34,000 and married AGI over $44,00 have up to 85% of their benefits taxed. It has been over 30 years and they have not raised that threshold. How many middle class married couples retiring in the last few years have AGI less than $32,000. They adjust threshholds on earned income for working people, why they refuse to raise the threshold for SS recipients is very sad and leaves retired people paying a very high price to receive their benefits. If we had known we would incur big taxes after retiring we would have not had my husband work till 69. Every dollar extra he got in SS benefits for working longer goes to taxes, not sure it was worth the extra time working. What the Government gives, the Government takes away. Hopefully they will raise those thresholds in the next few years, but don’t count on it!

    • Well there are 2 answers, the conspiracy answer in which the man behind the curtain is the evil one, and there is the real answer. I’ll try best to give you the real answer. SS retirement is similar to contributory retirement plans. In those plans you pay tax on that portion received in which you made no contribution. SS taxes up to 85% of an amount over the income threshold for that reason. Of course those on limited minimal income pay nothing. In fact the entire SS payout formula is skewed to favor to lower income worker. Most of us will live beyond the point in which we get back everything we ever paid in. Now the fact that the threshold amounts are not indexed for inflation is in my mind wrong and we should lobby congress to have this changed.

      • Agree. The misleading part is that there’s no SS Fund as the Gov’t takes the funds into the general account and leaves an IOU in the SS bucket. This is a Ponzi scheme, unravelling because the number of contributors (workers) is growing proportionally smaller than recipients.

      • social security no matter what formula was devised to pay out to only those putting in money not to refugees, illegal foreigners etc.

        • I agree. illegals and those not contributing to the United States should not be allowed to get benefits like medicaid, education, etc paid medications. If we quit being so generous and they have to work and pay just like the rest of us they might not be as anxious to come here. We pay for them, their kids, those pushing drugs and everything else. Ive heard of families who have every child of theirs on a disability check for anxiety, etc just to get extra money. we need a better monitoring system for the abusers

    • my husband and i were just talking,i been getting ss.for 2years,this year i have to pay over 500.00 to the irs because i didn’t know i needed to have taxes taken out,which sems very very on fair.

    • Ha wait until you get thrown on Medicare and it costs 3-4times what you were paying for insurance! Because of Medicare , which they said I have to have, I can’t pay my bills, mortgage, grocerys!!!

      • Seriously? When you file your taxes your first amount of your reportable income is w-2 wages, if any or self employed income. Your SS taxes are based on that amount up to the maximum limit for that year. Where do you get to deduct the SS taxes withheld from your paycheck? You are mistaken sir/madam. The Revenue Act of 1934 specified that a deduction to the taxpayer in computing net income would not be allowed. Social Security payroll taxes paid by individual workers have never been deductible from income for tax purposes either when the program was first implemented or an any time since. Please go to and check your facts. Search for Social Security Changes and read the ENTIRE article in which myths are stated and debunked. The truth is that our politicians have mishandled the accounting for the trust fund but it does exist. The problem is with the law which specifies what the trust fund investments must be, US government securities including bonds which are essentially loans to the government which can then be spent on anything. When the trust fund needs to sell bonds to meet it’s obligations, that is where the problem lies because the federal government must pay the trust fund from general revenues. Since we have massive debt and budget shortfalls, the federal government cannot continue to meet these demands without increasing taxes or reducing benefits. That is the simple math of the situation. I think it is wrong for any amount of social security income to be subject to income taxes no matter what your income is. It really hurts seniors to get hit with that double taxation. Unless lawmakers successfully reduce government expenditures significantly and soon, there just will not be enough revenue to repay the bonds in full, plain and simple.

  4. My husband and I learned this the hard way. He retired on disability social security due to an injury. The social security office person told him it was not taxable because he was under the limit. He told the SS person his wife worked and she said that it did not matter. We got audited for the first year of disability and had to pay the income tax with penalties. Then we had to do amended tax returns to get everything after that corrected. I also checked with a CPA and he confirmed our mistake when filing our income tax return. He told me that changed about 1985 and he never understood how congress slipped that through the system.

  5. How did I know the comments section would be full of criticism and complaints? Because every single entry on this blog, no matter what the subject matter, gets just that – nasty, vicious, and unfounded complaints – from the majority of idiots – oops, I mean posters – who apparently don’t know how to read or can’t be bothered to do so, since their complaints are ALWAYS addressed in the article, or it directs them to the section of the SS website where they could find more information and answers to their mostly inane questions. Clearly the American national pastime is NOT football but criticizing and blaming the government for all their problems – most of which they’re creating for themselves because they DON’T LISTEN. And they always gripe most about how the government isn’t doing enough for them and it should be giving them more but they don’t think they should have to pay taxes AND they despise the government and think we need “smaller government.” You people do not deserve what you have, never mind more. No wonder the 1% call us “entitled” and “whiners.” Thats all the average American does any more is complain about the government – no matter what it does for them it’s never enough. It’s sickening.

    • You are the idiot if you think the government is on your side. It is not just the government. It is the 1% corporate elite that make the rules. Until you’ve experienced what the majority of the poor have experienced, stop judging! These are actual lives that you are pointing fingers at. It seems you are the idiot. You have NO idea what the 1% call us. They have taken what they have. They have murdered many for what they have. They break all the rules, because they make all the rules. Nothing has changed, nor will it change as long as people do not wake up and become aware of what is going on and “who” those in power really are. The wealthiest people are not wealthy because they “earned” it. They’re wealthy because they TAKE whatever they want and get others to do their dirty work. You have no idea what you’re talking about.

    • Don’t you just hate complainers? If you looked at any of my posts I offer constructive information. By the way you are complaining about the complainers.

      • The only 1% here is the US Congress (the income for life folks). They write the rules, which includes a generous retirement plan for themselves outside SS limitations.

        The corporate / private sector has no say in this system.

        • Are you kidding? Of course the corporate sector has a say in this system. Money equals power. Wealthy corporations (considered as people) contribute money to political campaigns, to lobbyists and others influencing laws. They funnel this dirty money into the pockets of members of Congress. In exchange, politicians vote in the best interests of their ‘owners’.
          Considering a corporation as a person and Citizens United must be overturned in an attempt to elect officials rather than buy them. Until that happens, those with the most money control Congress. Wealthy corporations hold the most money which makes them the most powerful. As long as the powerful with most of the money control Congress, they control the law.
          The puzzle is how to erase corruption while Congress makes the laws. Terms limits for Congress would be one way to solve the problem. But, as long as they make the laws, that’s not happening.

        • Don’t kid yourself. You really believe that the corporate sector has no say in the system? Where is that rock located that you have been living under? This is the United States of Corporate America.

    • if the politicians didn’t suck us dry they would have more to give. the government is supposed to be by the people and for the people, but those in power abuse that and stuff their own pockets

  6. And the year my Mother died and I inherited a small amount. I had to pay tax on the inheritance, my SS income, and they increased the amount I had withdrawn to pay for Medicare

  7. Another year without COLA!
    Whoever decides we do not need an inflation adjustment does not grocery shop or pay medical bills

    • The cans of food are getting smaller. The rolls of toilet paper and paper products are getting smaller and the sheets are getting thinner. Who do these consumer products vendors think they are fooling? These are inflation contributors and should be taken into account when COL adjustments (i.e. increases) are to be made!

  8. Someone has to get the attention of Congress to do something about this unfair taxation of SS benefits up to a total of 85% of middle class income. There has been no inflationary adjustment to these amounts taxed and they would be much higher right now if they had been adjusted for inflation since they taxes were imposed. Another crime is the money they collect from these taxes don’t go to help the SS budget at all so Congress always wants more cuts in the programs.

  9. The lack of COLA is especially distressing. Most of us as we get older face medical bills that increase every year. No COLA means we face them with the same income as last year. Don’t do that to us! I agree that the government is not really thinking of our welfare.

  10. taxes, would not be a problem not be a problem persay but when you get “cost of living increase”
    the medicine and therapy go up. So you are not, anything.

  11. It’s a difference between SS being taxed and a portion of it being taxed. A person with a pension supplemeted with SS that totals more than 40 gees, and where federal and taxes are witheld can have taxes simply increase the witholdings.

  12. Taxes are taken out of each paycheck depending on the amount of money you earn. That is not being taxed twice. Once when you receive a paycheck and then when you begin to receive SS benefits. Social Security Retirement and Disability are taxable when received. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is not Taxable, since it does not come from taxes paid from income. SSI is a safety net for those less fortunate that they are unable to work due to a disability or old age.

    The real problem comes from the Federal Government taking money from the “Trust Fund” money paid from taxes withheld from paychecks. That money was never paid back to the “Trust Fund”. If that money was given back to the Social Security Trust Fund with interest, there would be more that enough money to keep the Social Security benefits above water with our any future percentage cuts.

    The Government Takes $ from USA people who work and does not return $ to the USA people. Yet they are more than happy to give money to other countries.

    We give $ to other countries and borrow money from China to support our giving. Does that sound like good business practices? JUST AN OPINION.

    • Wow SSI is not supposed to be taxed? I need to look into this not only do I have them take out some tax before I get it, but they tax 85% of my SSI when added to my husbands salary.

      • Why complain when you can do something about it. The IRS told me I to call or mail them a reason why I didn’t pay Social Security and Medicare tax on the money I earned. I threw away the letter and never responded. Now I don’t even bother to file my taxes. I hardly make any money to live off of. If they put me in jail, it will cost the government thousands of dollars to prosecute me and thousands of dollars to house me in jail. The IRS doesn’t even bother with me because it would cost them more money to audit me than what I owe them.

        • Social Security was spending more money trying to recover an overpayment less than $1000. An audit was done and they suggested to stopped going after those people.

        • Don’t be so sure! It would be easier to go after the little guy than a person who can hire accountants and lawyers.

      • SSI is Supplemental Security Income, a needs based poverty level program and is not taxable. If you have to pay taxes on your benefits it is not SSI, it is Social Security benefits.

  13. All of you like that lifestyle you are living. None of you want to go to jail. Just keep on paying your taxes like good citizens.

  14. The only person responding to the post is Ray Fernandez. What do you expect him to do? He is not the President or a Congressman. I am pretty sure he is tired of all this junk that we post because he has to read all of them. He is doing a great job.

    • So true Dennis…. wonder if SSA would release that data of how many receive SSA that never worked a single day in their lives?

  15. I have been doing vita for 29 years(it is a free service for low income families to have their taxes done) That includes a lot of us seniors I have been complaining about this program for 20 years and it is wrong. I have started a petition to at least get the amounts changed from 32,000 to 50,000 and 25,000 to 40,000 at least that would help some. Also significant amounts of retirement is a joke. My husband and I get ss benefits which are not huge and we cannot make or get anymore than 14,000 out of our retirement or part of our ss will be taxable. I assure you that Congress could not live on what most of us do. I was told the petition is the best way to at least change the law so that is what I am doing. You can complain or you can try and change what is wrong. If you complain and don’t vote you have no right to complain because you are not any better than the political system. Remember it is a privilege to vote. The flat tax would be better than what we have right now. It is America and I don’t want to live anywhere else, so it is time we shut up and get in the process to change things remember the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

  16. I understand that the U.S. Senate was evenly divided on taxing Social Security income. Republicans were 100% against it while the Democrats were 100% for it.
    Vice President Al Gore cast the deciding vote in favor of taxing your Social Security income.

  17. I’ve been working every since I was 14 or 15 years old and Social Security taxes now I’m a 68 and still paying Social Security taxes. It’s not fair for a Working Class People the work all their lives for their social security retirement and then had to pay taxes on that. When people from foreign countries come into our country and had not paid a penny into Social Security taxes than we did. Get housing -,food.Medical Care the state give them. Lot of them Get Low percentage money to start a new business and don’t have pay taxes or three to four years or more. Its about time the Americans stand up and say no. Look at the senators and they don’t pay taxes. Look at all the benefits they get. Don’t pay taxes. When they do. They have loopholes so that they don’t have to pay taxes.

  18. What about the SS trust fund?

    It’s been spent on wars and other things. So as I see it the government needs to borrow more $$$ from China to repay SS and to quit talking about cutting benefits. Makes no sense whatsoever.

    Paying tax again on SS benefits is just plain crazy.

  19. SS is not perfect but before there was such a thing, your family had to help you or you worked until you died, or you were homeless until you died.

  20. Time to change regime…this is the only answer to our corrupt system, and we have a chance, it is now or never….lets do it guys!

  21. My mother passed away last year and I did not receive a SSA-1099 for the 9 months she received SS benefits. What can i do to get the 1099 so I can file a tax return for her. Or, do I need to file a tax return for her when her only income was the SS that amounted to less than $10,000?

  22. I’m so confused about this tax stuff. May of 2014 was when I officially became disabled, and I won May of 2017. I was awarded (after my lawyer got his $), A nice chunk of BackPay. Now, I’m totally confused bc our tax lady says we have to pay ALOT for the taxes now or we can go back the last 3 yrs of taxes and do Amendments(?). But do we take the back pay and devide that by 3yrs & that’s what my ‘annual income’ is? Or do we take my monthly award amount AFTER I pay the Medicare, which is $600 ish and times that by 12 months & that will be my yrly income? I’m So confused!!!!

  23. Why is it fair that my benefits will be reduced this coming year because of my MAGI amount last year? Most of that income was my wife’s. I have been retired for 10 years and have worked none during that time. My income is Army National guar retirement, VA partial disability, and SS. Am I being penalized for filing jointly? This does not seem fair. Even after the COLA for 2018, I will still receive almost $50 less.

  24. I think the retirement systems for Government employees should only pay them what we get from Social Security. See how fast it becomes fair.

  25. I haven’t gotten a tax statement to do my taxes. I am new to the computer & am going in circles to get one.I can’t get through the voice mail on the phone cause he keeps hanging up and now I can’t get through to you. Help

  26. I was told that since I just started receiving benefits in 2017 September that I do not report it on my 2017 tax return. I received Form SSA 1099 for four months.

  27. I’m trying to find out how to apply online for 2017k, with SSD as my sole income. So far, I’ve seen nothing to help …

  28. Didin’t get an answer to my question. If all my SS goes to medicare payments (plus I pay extra) do I report the SS as income on my income tax?

  29. Help, I need a copy of income tax info to do my taxes. Bette Rae Vohs 1510 N forest St #204 Bellingham, Wa. 98225 Asap Tax time is near!!!!! Thank you

  30. I need a tax statement for 2017. How do I get it.? And I have long term insurance. Is that included in my statement for the year? Thnx

  31. I am now receiving Social Sec. benefits but I now want to begin with holding 10% federal tax on this amount please let me know what I have to do and if I can do this on line?

  32. I’m trying to stop the monthly tax deduction for my wife and I, and I will pay any tax necessary when federal taxes are due.

    • Hello Andrew, if you want to change or stop your tax withholding, you’ll need a Form W-4V from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You can download the W-4V form here or call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Form W-4V, Voluntary Withholding Request. Complete the form, sign and return it to your local Social Security office by mail or in person.

  33. I receive SS retirement benefits, have requested that 25% of my benefit be deducted from my checks, but have no verification that the deduction is being made. The amount of my check is 26% less than my benefit statement says it should be, so I assume — a dangerous thing — that the gap is a tax withholding. How can I verify that?

    • Hi Marjorie! Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Even though a benefit verification letter should reflect any deductions made from your benefits, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 and speak to one of our agents to verify or confirm this information. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

    • Hello Anne. Some people have to pay federal income taxes on their Social Security benefits. This usually happens only if you have other substantial income (such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return) in addition to your benefits. For further income tax questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040. Thanks!

  34. Had to take early retirement at age 62 and still paying taxes… When do I stop paying taxes?
    I turn 65 December 2018.

    • Thank you for your question. Under current law, everyone working in covered employment or self-employment, regardless of age or eligibility for benefits, must pay Social Security taxes.
      Also, some people may have to pay federal income taxes on their Social Security benefits. This usually happens only if you have other substantial income (such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return) in addition to your benefits. For further income tax questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040. Thanks!

    • Hello Wilson. Under current law, everyone working in covered employment or self-employment regardless of age or eligibility for benefits must pay Social Security taxes. Some people have to pay federal income taxes on their Social Security benefits. This usually happens only if you have other substantial income (such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return) in addition to your benefits. For further income tax questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040. Thanks!

  35. I want to have my taxes deducted from my social security disability but, I don’t know how to go about doing this. Could you please tell me. The AARP volunteer I had earlier this year was frustrating, and a bully. I couldn’t wait to get out of there when he finished my taxes, or I would have asked him. Thank you very much.

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *