Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

Tax season is approaching, and Social Security has made replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier. The Benefit Statement is also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S. Now you can get a copy of your 1099 anytime and anywhere you want using our online services.

A Social Security 1099 is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return.

If you live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and request an instant, printable replacement form through your personal my Social Security account.

A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you already have a my Social Security account, you can log in to your online account to view and print your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document on your computer or laptop or even email it. If you don’t have a my Social Security account, creating one is very easy to do and usually takes less than 10 minutes.

If you receive benefits or have Medicare, your my Social Security account is also the best way to:

  • Get your benefit verification letter;
  • Check your benefit and payment information;
  • Change your address and phone number;
  • Change your direct deposit information;
  • Request a replacement Medicare card; or
  • Report your wages if you work and receive Social Security disability insurance or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

If you’re a noncitizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S in the mail. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

With a personal my Social Security account, you can do much of your business with us online, on your time, like get a copy of your SSA-1099 form. Visit our website to find out more.


1,116 thoughts on “Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

  1. Why do you make things so difficult? I am trying to get signed up for Medicare. You sent me a reset code and told me to go to the website. I did that and there is NO WHERE to enter a reset code. Where do I enter this code so that I can get signed up? I am so frustrated and angry. You take something so simple and turn it into a cluster of biblical proportions.

    • Hi Yvonne, thank you for using our blog. The reset code is issued when you need to change the second factor authentication method associated with your my Social Security account information. When you sign in with your username and password, it will then ask if you received a reset letter. You select “Yes, let’s begin”.

      If you forgot your my Social Security password, and the password reset questions didn’t work, we can send a temporary password in some circumstances. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to retrieve or change your username or password.

      To apply for Medicare online, it will ask you to log in to your my Social Security account. We hope this helps!

  2. good afternoon,

    i usually receive social security benefit for my children on 7th of the month but i have not received any. is there anything i can do to receive it!

    thanks you.

  3. This is not helpful.
    I do not have an online my Social Security account. I have been trying for two years to set it up. But it rejects my information. I have talked with you about this and you can’t fix the problem. Those of us without a my Social Security account need another method to request information. An online request option like the banks do when I need a copy of a statement. This isn’t rocket science.

  4. My boyfriend is in prison, he is trying to obtain funds from his 401K, the pension administrators are requesting a copy of his latest SS benefit statement. He has not signed up for a my ss account. How do I get a copy, or how do I change his mailing address for him. His Aunt has the Power of Attorney, but isn’t internet savvy.

    • Hi Heather, thanks for using our blog. We pay benefits under both the Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs. Both of these programs prohibit payments to most prisoners. For SSI benefits, the law states that a person cannot live in a public institution (for example, a jail, prison, penal facility, etc.) for a full calendar month or more, and receive SSI benefits. For Social Security benefits, the law states that if a person commits a crime and a court convicts them, and they serve more than 30 continuous days in jail following the conviction, they cannot get benefits while incarcerated.

      Because of privacy and security concerns, you will not be able to conduct Social Security business on behalf of your boyfriend unless you are his representative payee. Having a power of attorney, being an authorized representative, or having a joint bank account does not authorize you to access information on his Social Security record. We hope this helps!

  5. How does one who has no computer or internet office get something showing on SSI to show court to reduce fines and get license back when the offices are closed because of Covid 19?

  6. Hi, I cannot establish a MY SS account because I live outside the US, in Spain. However I’d like a recent SSA1099 statement. How can I accomplish this please?

    • Hi Nancy, thank you for your question. At this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or access a my Social Security account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet.

      If you live outside of the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, please contact your nearest Federal Benefits Unit. We hope this helps.

  7. I need a 1099 sent to me. I have lost the other one. I do not have a computer or a way to print anything. Thanks for your help.

  8. I need a 1099 social security benefit statement for my wife in order to complete our income tax info
    claim #*** – ** – *** B

  9. Dear Social Security Officer,

    I’m a retired US Citizen living in Europe, receiving Social Security Retirement benefits since 2018, with direct deposit at a Bank in Budapest, Hungary.
    According to CARES ACT enacted by Congress, I should also be entitled to $1,200 Dollars, Economic Impact or Stimulus Payment.

    “A8. Yes, U.S. citizens living outside the country are eligible for the Payment. Anyone eligible to file Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR is an eligible person if they have a valid SSN and can’t be claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer. Nonresident aliens who file or would file Form 1040-NR or Form 1040-NR-EZ are not eligible for the Payment.”

    I understand that distribution of payments to non filing, Social Security recipients are being made based on Tax Record SSA-1099 which was provided by Social Security to the IRS.
    Up to this point I have not received payment in any form, If I access the Get My Payment application it returns a message: Not enough information or I’m not entitled for the 1,200 Dollar payment.

    Are you telling me that I’m not entitled for this Stimulus Payment?
    My sole income is Social Security Retirement Benefit which is below taxable levels.

    Can the IRS wire money to a Foreign Bank account outside the United States? If not, how would I receive the payment?

    Thank you very much for your response,

    Steven Novak
    Last four digits of my SS# xxx-xx-5275

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *