Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

March 14, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: March 14, 2019

Now that it’s tax season, you might be gathering all of your forms and documentation from the previous year. Sometimes getting all that material together — receipts for donations, business expenses, and travel — can be overwhelming. And losing one vital piece can take up time that you might not be able to spare.

The Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) or Benefit Statement is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year, so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return. Luckily, Social Security has you covered. If you live in the United States and you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S tax form, simply go online and get an instant, printable copy of your form with a my Social Security account.

A Social Security1042S (SSA-1042S) is for a noncitizen who lives outside the United States and received or repaid Social Security benefits last year.

If you have a question, want help finding the information you need, or just can’t figure out how to do something online, another way to get in touch with us is by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. We provide an automated service option to handle some business, but you can also speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

Tax season can be a stressful time for some, but we’ve tried to make it easier for you. Remember to share this information with friends and family. If you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S, go online and get a replacement form with a my Social Security account.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. Cory b.

    Request for reconsideration to appeal decision

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Cory. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. If your disability application was recently denied, you must make a request for an appeal within 60 days from the date the notice of denial is received. We recommend that you don’t delay submitting an appeal, even if you don’t have all of the information you need. In some cases, the disability examiner may decide to arrange for a consultative examination in order to obtain the additional information needed. You can complete and submit the required Appeal Request and Appeal Disability Report online. Check out our publication, The Appeals Process, for more information. We hope this information helps.

      • kyle j.

        my address i want to update my address is 1340 ny state route 41 cincinatus ny 13040 lot 5 i dont know if my payee up dated anything

  2. Doreen G.

    Previous form was sent in Mail and go caught in Machine and destroyed.

  3. keshwar k.

    i will be 65 in may when can i apply for ss

  4. Patricia A.

    It was very easy to set up my account & the questions were good enough to make me feel secure. I forgot to log out on the page where I printed my statement, I just backed out. I hope that logs me out. Thanks.

  5. Marci G.

    Everytime I try to log back on it says I cannot…why? I did create an account. I want to see my status update.
    Thanks for your help.

  6. Hansoo l.

    I did not received SSA 1099 form . How can I get it.

  7. Royce M.

    My wife died in 2018 and I have not received an SSA-1099 for her. I’ve tried to log into her SSA Account but was unable to do so. How may I obtain a replacement SSA-1099 for her.

    • Vonda V.

      We’re sorry to hear about your loss, Royce. The benefit statement is mailed to the last address in our records and is intended for the spouse or executor of the deceased. If you do not have access to the mail at that address, the executor will need to go into the local field office with proof of death and proof of executorship. An SSA-1099 can also be given to someone receiving benefits on the deceased beneficiary’s record such as a spouse, parent, or child of the deceased. If you need more information, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., and ask a representative for assistance.

  8. Brigitte A.

    My name is Brigitte Arora and an American Citizen living in India. Am being discriminated against by not being allowed to get an online account. Am being denied my rights i have earned as a social security recipient. I worked hard to earn my social security pension which i have been receiving past 12 years. It is automatically sent to my bank in India but comes already converted in Rupees and have no idea of my actual pension amount. Am unable to get any assistance when i need it from Social Security. At this point have no confirmation of the exact amount I receive each month.My Congressman has been trying to help but he can only do so much.
    Not sure if I will still receive my tax forms through the mail or not since rules have changed. Please respond by emailing me..

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Brigitte. At this time you must have a U. S. mailing address to create or access your online account. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet.

      We recommend that individuals living outside the United States contact the nearest Federal Benefit Unit or U.S. embassy in the area for any assistance related to Social Security programs and benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad.

  9. Ellen C.

    Thank you for providing this valuable service. I was able to print my statement for taxes and that was huge convenience.

    I like the other links that offer valuable information. I need to look further for dental insurance; I didn’t find it, but I am sure if I take my time, I will find it.

    Thank you again.

  10. Janet K.

    I need a copy of my monthly retirement benefits. Thank you very much.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Janet, thank you for your question. You can get a benefit verification letter online instantly by using your personal my Social Security account. This letter is sometimes called a budget letter, a benefits letter, a proof of income letter or a proof of award letter. To set up your account, visit the my Social Security web page and select, “Sign In or Create an Account.” You will need to provide some personal information to verify your identity, choose a username and password and follow the rest of the steps to finish creating your account. Once you create your account, scroll down to the Benefits and Payments section and choose “get benefit verification letter” where you can instantly view, print, or save your official letter. If you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem, you may call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk” or you can contact your local Social Security office.

Comments are closed.