Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

March 14, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: March 14, 2019

Now that it’s tax season, you might be gathering all of your forms and documentation from the previous year. Sometimes getting all that material together — receipts for donations, business expenses, and travel — can be overwhelming. And losing one vital piece can take up time that you might not be able to spare.

The Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) or Benefit Statement is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year, so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return. Luckily, Social Security has you covered. If you live in the United States and you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S tax form, simply go online and get an instant, printable copy of your form with a my Social Security account.

A Social Security1042S (SSA-1042S) is for a noncitizen who lives outside the United States and received or repaid Social Security benefits last year.

If you have a question, want help finding the information you need, or just can’t figure out how to do something online, another way to get in touch with us is by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. We provide an automated service option to handle some business, but you can also speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

Tax season can be a stressful time for some, but we’ve tried to make it easier for you. Remember to share this information with friends and family. If you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S, go online and get a replacement form with a my Social Security account.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. Bill S.

    We were unable to retrieve my social security account and were told we would received the password by mail within l7 to 10 days. It has been over 2 weeks and I have not yet received this. It is getting closer and closer to tax time and I am getting really worried it will not come in time. Please help!

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Bill. We are sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having with your my Social Security account. If you are unable to request your 1099 online, you may call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. or you can contact your local Social Security office.


    SSS NO. NRC NO. 205512/32/1

  3. Ms K.

    Thank You:
    1099 Tax Statement;

  4. David L.

    The APO system is shutting down 1 Oct, 2019 for retired military. Do not have a US address, so you can’t open up a My Social Security account. How will I get my end of year statements. Will only have a Thai address and mail delivery often very poor.

    Thank you.

    PS. Can we use a sons address in US to open a My Social Security account?
    Thank you.

  5. Carol A.

    I can’t log in. I can’t remember my password.

  6. Mohammed B.


  7. Charles A.

    Aren’t I already on your Blog list? Didn’t this information come in a Blog?

  8. Naldeen H.

    My name is Naldeen Hector
    I am inquire how I can get my SSA 1099 form
    I have recently move from New York
    1107 Lebanon street Bx , NY 10460
    To 12 Birchtree Way’ Palm Coast, FL 32137
    I am unable to access my account

  9. lesly f.

    I am 65 years old.i hope ssa take my benefits claim with consideration.because i am an fanancial hardship.

  10. Debra R.

    It makes it hard for me because I don’t have a computer and can’t get out to print it out.I only have my cell phone.

Comments are closed.