Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

March 14, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: March 14, 2019

Now that it’s tax season, you might be gathering all of your forms and documentation from the previous year. Sometimes getting all that material together — receipts for donations, business expenses, and travel — can be overwhelming. And losing one vital piece can take up time that you might not be able to spare.

The Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) or Benefit Statement is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year, so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return. Luckily, Social Security has you covered. If you live in the United States and you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S tax form, simply go online and get an instant, printable copy of your form with a my Social Security account.

A Social Security1042S (SSA-1042S) is for a noncitizen who lives outside the United States and received or repaid Social Security benefits last year.

If you have a question, want help finding the information you need, or just can’t figure out how to do something online, another way to get in touch with us is by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. We provide an automated service option to handle some business, but you can also speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

Tax season can be a stressful time for some, but we’ve tried to make it easier for you. Remember to share this information with friends and family. If you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S, go online and get a replacement form with a my Social Security account.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. T

    Hello. Besides the SS online account and the benefit statement being mailed, is there another way to receive this tax form, such as going to the SS office? Thanks!

    • Walt

      SSA field offices are jammed with people, especially this time of year. Stick with the online access…and get your friends/neighbors/relatives signed up too!!

  2. Jerry A.

    I need a printout showing my earnings since the first of the year.Also I will need to show how much my Part B will be reduced my check. My part b will start )
    04/01/2019. My wife will also need hers. Barbara E Brakebill

  3. teresa g.

    I am having a hard time trying to view my social security
    benefits on line.

  4. Derek R.

    Thank you kindly for the invaluable information p

  5. Patricia E.

    I went to My Social Security 2 times to download my SSA 1099, but was unable to find it. Luckily for me, I found my 2018 SSA 1099 that was sent via snail mail. However, I was able to printed my Benefits Verification Letter. How can I download and print my SSA 1099?

    • Suzanne L.

      How can I get an SSA-1099 for 2019?

      • Andrew

        I have been trying to get a copy of my ssa1099 since Jan. I cannot sign in to my account. I moved last June and changed my address.

  6. Tom R.

    How can I determine if I need a SSA 1099 form?

    • Jean

      I have the same question? Did you find an answer?

  7. JOE

    Your informative articles and the access
    to one¨s benefits are outstanding and it
    reflects the integrity of the government
    di dispense knowlegment to its citizens.

  8. Randall D.

    Thank you for catxhing up with the world!

  9. Irma Z.

    Thank you for the information. I just need to reset my password because I have My Social Account. I have been waiting in line for more than 45 minutes. Any advice please?

  10. Gildo

    When US Citizens residing abroad will be able to create My Social Security account and receive the same help as US ciitizen in the US get? This article does no mentioned US ctitizens abroad.

    • L H.

      US citizens abroad cannot register for My Social Security. Accordingly, all services are denied. International mail is the only solution, which in my case is not workable practically, if mail is not delivered in the overseas country of residence.

Comments are closed.