Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

March 14, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: March 14, 2019

Now that it’s tax season, you might be gathering all of your forms and documentation from the previous year. Sometimes getting all that material together — receipts for donations, business expenses, and travel — can be overwhelming. And losing one vital piece can take up time that you might not be able to spare.

The Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) or Benefit Statement is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year, so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return. Luckily, Social Security has you covered. If you live in the United States and you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S tax form, simply go online and get an instant, printable copy of your form with a my Social Security account.

A Social Security1042S (SSA-1042S) is for a noncitizen who lives outside the United States and received or repaid Social Security benefits last year.

If you have a question, want help finding the information you need, or just can’t figure out how to do something online, another way to get in touch with us is by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. We provide an automated service option to handle some business, but you can also speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

Tax season can be a stressful time for some, but we’ve tried to make it easier for you. Remember to share this information with friends and family. If you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S, go online and get a replacement form with a my Social Security account.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. Marinda L.

    I have not been able to locate my 1099 R on the website underneath my account. I was able to print a replacement 1099 R.

  2. Robert R.

    Can i get a form for ajob i had during last year but have NOT received a W-2?

    • Jenna Y.

      Thanks for your question, Robert. For a copy of a W-2, you should contact your employer’s human resource or personnel office. If you are referring to the SSA-1099 showing the amount of benefits paid to SSA beneficiaries during last year, you can request a replacement SSA-1099/1042S for Tax Year 2018 by visiting here. We hope this helps!

  3. Edward S.

    Hello, is there a way to estimate how much more a month i will get by waiting till say January of 2020 to start SS? I would like to “gross” $2,500 per month. Could you tell me how long after Oct of 2019 it will take to get the $2,500? Thank you, Edward Stoeckel 11254 E Ida Pl. Englewood,Co 80111-4102. 303 770 8227

  4. Denise S.

    I have tried every way possible to access my account from my PC but I am unable to do so from Germany. Is it possible for you to annotate on my file that my statement should be mailed? If there is another solution I will be happy to try it.
    Thanks in advance for your assistance.

  5. George C.

    I just want the amount I will receive when I turn 62.

  6. Kathleen M.

    What is a BPQY?

  7. Yolanda

    Can I apply at 58 yrs old

  8. Lawrence A.

    Why is it so difficult to get any information from this site. Also it tells my that my name or my address is or my SS number is wrong. How can that be? I’ve had the same name and SS number for 78 years.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Lawrence. We are sorry you are having difficulty accessing your personal my Social Security account. If you are still unable to access an account or encounter a problem with your personal my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  9. Mary H.

    I do not have a printer, will I be able to email my sister my 1099 for 2018 to print out, as I believe I lost it & need to file taxes per my deceased husband.

    *Can I forward to someone with a printer ( or no because it’s private.
    *If so can I request for it to be mailed to me?

    Thank you so very much!!
    Mary Halloran. S.S # *** – ** – ***
    (staying with my brother temporarily as I had another breakdow)
    His address: Dennis J O’Conell III c/o Mary Halloran
    108 W. Passage Rd
    Salem, Nh 03079

    Thank you so very much for helping all of us who are going through such difficult times, you are all angels

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Mary. We are sorry to hear about your loss. The SSA-1099 is mailed to the last address in our records and is intended for the spouse or executor of the deceased. If you did not receive the benefit statement, the executor will need to go into the local Social Security office with proof of death and proof of executorship. An SSA-1099 can also be given to someone receiving benefits on the deceased beneficiary’s record such as a spouse, parent, or child of the deceased. If you need more information, call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) and ask a representative for assistance. Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. We hope this helps.

  10. Joy

    I need to know how to go about having state taxes withheld?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Joy. Social Security does not withhold State taxes. In order to have Federal taxes withheld from your Social Security benefit, you must start by printing, completing and submitting an IRS Voluntary Withholding Request Form (Form W-4V). On this form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld. The Form W-4V (to withhold federal taxes from your Social Security benefits) can be returned to your local Social Security office by mail or in person. See our Benefits Planner: Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits web page for more information. We hope this helps.

Comments are closed.