Online Services, SSI

Five Things You Can Do Online with Social Security

November 16, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

smiling woman sitting on her couchYou want to enjoy the fall weather, and Social Security’s online services free up your time to lounge in a hammock in your backyard or take your dog on a long walk. You can safely and conveniently conduct most of your business with us anytime, anywhere. There’s no need to visit a local Social Security office.

When you’re ready to retire, you can do it online in 15 minutes or less. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if any further information is needed.

Applying for Social Security disability benefits has never been easier! The secure site will only ask questions pertaining to your situation, and we provide links to more information. There are examples to help you along the way.

With a my Social Security account, you can also get your Social Security Statement showing how much you paid in Social Security and Medicare taxes through your working years. You can use your Statement to verify your earnings history so that you receive the correct payment amount when you become eligible for benefits. And speaking of your future benefits, your Statement also shows estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors’ benefits.

And, when you need it, you can get a benefit verification letter to prove you receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare. Your personal my Social Security  account also allows you to change your address if you’re already receiving benefits, and to start or change your direct deposit information.

You have all that at your fingertips, and you never had to leave your hammock!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. George S.

    For the past two months I have not received the Social Security deposits to my bank account.My wife, Adra Mae McConnell, passed away in March, 2014 and I have received direct deposits as a surviving spouse since applying after her passing until two months ago. Her SSN: *** – ** – ***. Can this be resolved A.S.A.P.?
    George Stanley McConnell
    412 Alvarado Drive SE Apt. 518E
    Albuquerque, NM 87108-2960

    • Vonda V.

      Hi George, thanks for using our blog. If you did not receive your Social Security or SSI benefit, please contact your bank or financial institution first. They may be able to determine if your direct deposit failed. If you still need to report a late, missing or stolen Social Security payment, call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  2. Cyntia

    the news is very complete, I really like reading this blog

  3. Clara

    really impressive

  4. Sendiy

    very interesting content to read, really helpful, thank you

  5. donald v.

    I don’t get my social security check

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Donald. If you do not receive your electronic payment on the scheduled pay date, please contact your bank or financial institution first. If you still need to report a late, missing, or stolen Social Security payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions. Thanks!

  6. Charlene R.

    I have a client that was just laid off. He needs to apply for part B medicare. The lady at the social security office told him he needs a certain form from his employer a CML 5265? not sure if that is the right form. When he called his employer for this form, they said social security has to send them this form. Do you have this form you can email me so that we can get it to his employer so that he can apply for part b before the end of the month.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Charlene, thank you for using our blog. During the COVID-19 pandemic, our process has changed. Check out the section titled Can I enroll in Medicare? for details on how to enroll in Medicare Part B. We hope this helps.

  7. Jeannine

    I signed up to have my medicare advantage premium withdrawn from my social security check.

    I paid the advantage plan directly for january (in dec.) and february (in jan.) and stopped when I saw my SSD check amount reflected that the premium was being withdrawn.

    Will the advantage plan refund me ?

  8. mark

    Thanks for sharing!!

  9. David F.

    I want to withhold taxes from my SS payment. Can I do that online. or do I have to go to a local office to file the
    proper forms

    • Kenny O.

      Thank you for your question, David. You can download the form or call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Form W-4V. When you complete the form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld for taxes. See our Benefits Planner: Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits for more information.

      • Dawn S.

        Where do you send it?

        • Vonda

          Hi Dawn, thanks for using our blog. After you complete and sign the form, please send it to your local Social Security office. Use our Social Security Office Locator to obtain your local office mailing address. We hope this helps!

  10. Robert K.

    I need to send a death certificate to social security. To whom do I send it, and to what address?

Comments are closed.