Online Services, SSI

Five Things You Can Do Online with Social Security

November 16, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

smiling woman sitting on her couchYou want to enjoy the fall weather, and Social Security’s online services free up your time to lounge in a hammock in your backyard or take your dog on a long walk. You can safely and conveniently conduct most of your business with us anytime, anywhere. There’s no need to visit a local Social Security office.

When you’re ready to retire, you can do it online in 15 minutes or less. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if any further information is needed.

Applying for Social Security disability benefits has never been easier! The secure site will only ask questions pertaining to your situation, and we provide links to more information. There are examples to help you along the way.

With a my Social Security account, you can also get your Social Security Statement showing how much you paid in Social Security and Medicare taxes through your working years. You can use your Statement to verify your earnings history so that you receive the correct payment amount when you become eligible for benefits. And speaking of your future benefits, your Statement also shows estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors’ benefits.

And, when you need it, you can get a benefit verification letter to prove you receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare. Your personal my Social Security  account also allows you to change your address if you’re already receiving benefits, and to start or change your direct deposit information.

You have all that at your fingertips, and you never had to leave your hammock!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Terri F.

    Can you make an appointment at office online

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Terri. At this time there is not a way to schedule an appointment online. You can schedule an appointment with your local office by calling us at 1-800-772-1213 between 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. We hope this helps.

  2. Megan M.

    I need a copy of my letter stating was awarded SSID benefits from law master. The reason why and when it came in affect. Thank you, Megan Morgan

  3. debi r.

    am waiting one hour on the phone to find the mailing address for Form CMS 1763. This info should be online somewhere. Is the a main location or do the forms go to our area PSC The return envelop for the annual adjustment of charges notice says “Southeastern PSC”. Can we just mail it there?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Debi. If you wish to terminate your enrollment, you will need to submit a signed request for termination or Form CMS-1763 to your local Social Security office. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requires, when possible, a personal interview be conducted with everyone who wishes to terminate entitlement. To find your local office information, go here. We hope this helps.

  4. Kay A.

    Do I have to pay for irmma if I don’t have part D insurance?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Kay. For more information about the Medicare Premiums: Rules For Higher-Income Beneficiaries, visit here. For specific questions, please call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. Generally, you will have a shorter wait if you call later in the day. Thanks!

  5. MARTHA R.

    I believe i am over paying for my medicare benefits. How do I request a look back on my income. I believe that my fees are based on a $87,000.00 income. I have never made that much money in 73 years. since 2004 I have made $22,000.00 or less. Maybe I should be eligible for reimbursement?

    • Luis A.

      Hi Martha. Please call the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) at 1-800-633-4227 (TTY, 1-877-486-2048) for assistance. You may also wish to contact your local Medicare SHIP (State Health Insurance Program Coordinator) to discuss your options. We hope this helps.

  6. Danfar m.

    I am 75 years young and I plan to marry soon to a women age 71 and receiving her benefits also. Two questions. # 1, what percentage will my social security/ dollar volume increase when we marry. and what happens to hers. second question, If I die before my then spouse, what percentage or dollar volume will be given to her.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Danfar. Thanks for your question. First, if you and your fiance’ get Social Security disability or retirement benefits and you marry, your benefits will stay the same. For more information about how marriage may affect your benefits, visit here. Second, the amount of her widow’s benefit is based on several factors, including: your earnings, when you started receiving your benefits, her age, and the amount of her own retirement benefit. We compare her own benefit with her potential survivor benefit. If her survivor benefit would be higher than her own current retirement benefit, she would be eligible for survivor benefits. For additional information about survivor benefits, please visit our Benefits Planner: Survivors. We hope this helps.

  7. Barry &.

    My wife and I get ss retirement on our own earnings- perhaps she would get more than now if it were possible to get half my benefits?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Barry. Thanks for your question. To qualify for spouse’s benefits, your spouse must be receiving retirement or disability benefits. Also, when you qualify for Social Security benefits on your own record, we pay that amount first. But if you also qualify for a higher amount as a spouse you’ll get a combination of benefits that equals that higher amount. Visit our Retirement Planner: Benefits For You As A Spouse for more information. We hope this helps.

  8. Debra P.

    On my Social Security it said to provide a marriage certificate. How do I do that?

  9. William M.

    All I want to do is make sure you know my Mother passed away July 1 of this year (2019) and one other thing. Her checks were coming on the third day of the month. Is that for that same month or the previous month?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, William. Thank you for your question. We are sorry to hear about your loss. Normally, the funeral director notifies us about an individual’s passing. However, you may report the death yourself by calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. or by presenting the death certificate at your local Social Security office. To be eligible for a Social Security benefit payment, a person has to live throughout the entire month, which was the case of your mother. We can’t pay benefits for the month of death or any later months. You can find more information on survivors benefits here. We hope this helps.

  10. John A.

    I have been diagnosed with Diverticulitis. I have had Irritable Bowel Syndrome for many years and I have it listed as a disability through the Veterans Administration. Can I apply for disability through SSI FOR THIS PROBLEM?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, John. First of all, thank you for your service to our country. If you are receiving benefits from the VA, please keep in mind that the Social Security Act sets out a very strict definition of disability, much different than the requirements for other government programs including veterans benefits. Social Security pays disability benefits to people if they have a medical condition that has prevented them from working or is expected to prevent them from working for at least 12 months. We use the same five-step process to make a decision on each application. You may also find our listing of impairments useful. If you feel that you meet our definition of disability, you can apply online. We hope this information helps.

Comments are closed.