Fight Procrastination by Changing Your Direct Deposit Early

September 6, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 3 Minutes

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

September 6 is National Fight Procrastination Day. With our busy lives, it is easy to fall into that cycle of constantly postponing some tasks because of other things we need to address right now. This may be true for you when it comes to changing your payment method for Social Security benefits. Unfortunately, procrastinating on reporting changes can lead to delayed payments, resulting in undue hardship with bills and living expenses. Ultimately, it’s less hassle — and less stressful — if you report a direct deposit change as soon as it occurs. 

How can you change your direct deposit information with Social Security? The most convenient way is by creating a personal my Social Security account. Once you create your account, you can update your bank information without leaving the comfort of your home. Another way to change your direct deposit is by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to make the change over the phone. If you prefer to speak to someone in-person, you can visit your local Social Security office with the necessary information.

What exactly will Social Security need to make the direct deposit change? Because we are committed to protecting your personal information, we need some form of identification to verify who you are. If you are online, we verified your identity when you initially created your personal my Social Security account. All you need to do is log in with your secure username and password to gain instant access to your information.

If you call Social Security, we will ask identifying questions to ensure we are speaking to the right person. If you visit the office, you will need to bring a driver’s license or some form of ID with you. Once we have identified you are the correct person and are authorized to make changes on the Social Security record, all we need is the routing number, account number, and type of account established. We don’t ask for a voided check, nor do we obtain verification from the bank. Therefore, you should be sure you are providing accurate information to us.

The day of the month you report the direct deposit change makes all the difference. Though the exact date varies each month, generally, you will need to report changes by the 15th to see the effect on the next check. When the 15th falls on the weekend or a holiday, the cutoff is usually the previous business day. For example, if you switched banks or have a new account in September, you will need to provide the new information to Social Security by September 14 to receive your next payment in the new account. If you don’t report this change to us until September 28, your next payment will go into the old account.

Because you may be unsure if your direct deposit change will affect your next payment, we highly recommend that you do not close the old bank account until you have seen your first Social Security deposit in the new bank account. That way, you can feel secure you will receive your benefits on time, regardless of when the change was reported to Social Security. Waiting until you see the deposit in your new account also gives you the extra peace of mind that we processed the change correctly.

The first step in fighting procrastination is increased awareness. Knowing how easy it is to report a direct deposit change, what information to report, and when, can encourage you to get in touch with Social Security at the earliest possible moment. In addition, making sure we know about a change early ensures we help make the transition as smooth as possible.

When you have to report changes, be sure to contact us or visit us online. Social Security always strives to put you in control by providing the best experience and service no matter where, when, or how you decide to do business with us.

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Ronald& P.

    New routing number for direct deposit,for me and my husband#082900872 for Arvert bank

    • Ray F.

      Hello Ronald & Penny. If you already receive benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability) and you have a bank account, you can start or update your direct deposit by using your personal my Social Security account.
      Just a reminder – We do not have access to personal records, therefore, we cannot update beneficiaries information in this venue. Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media channels. Thanks!

  2. Mac C.

    All I want to is change the bank that my SS $ are direct deposited to please.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Mac. Thanks for the question. If you’re receiving Social Security benefits (retirement, survivors, or disability), you can start or update your direct deposit information by using your personal my Social Security account. If receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or unable to conduct business online, you can start or update your direct deposit by contacting the bank, credit union, or savings and loan association or by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

      See our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information.

  3. MARY W.


  4. Justine D.

    Excellent, well-written. Thanks

  5. Daniel W.

    How do I change the bank for my direct deposit

  6. Larry k.

    I that 14 months held back because was working and making over the monthly limit. My monthly social security payment was set at $ 1631.00.I had $1631.00 times 14 months or $22834.00 held back. When I quit they sent me $8500.00.Than 5 months later they said they over paid me by $2700.00 and I am paying it backs.SO I got only $5800.00 of the $ 22834.00 heldback.Where is the $17034.00 recalibration.

    • Ray F.

      Hello Larry. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation.
      Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  7. ROBERT J.


  8. Beulah M.

    Want to change my direct deposit

  9. Andrey G.

    ___123___Fight Procrastination by Changing Your Direct Deposit Early | Social Security Matters___123___

  10. Raymond L.

    Is It acceptable to use a debit card, (Visa card) for social security direct deposit?

    • Vonda V.

      By choosing to get your Social Security or Supplemental Security Income benefits by direct deposit, we will electronically deposit your funds directly into a bank’s depository account (e.g. checking account, savings account, and prepaid card account).

      By choosing Direct Express®, we will electronically deposit your funds directly into a prepaid debit card account. Direct Express® has no enrollment fee or minimum balance requirement to open or use the account.

      Check out How Do I Sign Up To Receive An Electronic Payment?

Comments are closed.