Disability, Online Services, Retirement, SSI

5 Ways to Apply for Social Security Benefits Online

September 16, 2021 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 2, 2023

man searching internet on laptop computerWe continue to make it easier for you to access our programs and benefits. Our website offers a convenient way to apply for benefits online.

You can apply online for:

  • Retirement or Spouse’s Benefits – You must be at least 61 years and 9 months in age and want your benefits to start in no more than four months. Check out our Apply for Benefits page for information on how to apply.
  • Disability Benefits – You can use our online application to apply for disability benefits if you:
    • Are age 18 or older.
    • Are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record.
    • Are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death.
    • Have not been denied disability benefits in the last 60 days. If your application was recently denied, our online appeal application, is a starting point to request a review of the determination we made. Please visit our Appeal a Decision page to learn more.
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) – SSI is a federal income program funded by general tax revenues, and helps people who have little or no income and who are age 65 or older, blind, or have disabilities. If you meet certain requirements, you may apply online. If you are not able to apply online, call your local Social Security office to apply.
  • Medicare – Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people age 65 or older, some people younger than 65 who have disabilities, and people with end-stage renal disease. If you are not already receiving Social Security benefits, you should apply for Medicare three months before turning age 65 at Medicare Benefits page.
  • Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Costs – People who need assistance with the cost of medications can apply for Extra Help on our website.

We also encourage you to sign up for a personal my Social Security account if you don’t have one. Using your personal my Social Security account, you can request a replacement Social Security card, verify your earnings, get future benefit estimates, and obtain benefit verification letters.

Please share this information with family and friends – and post it on social media.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Dawn Bystry, Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications

Deputy Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications


  1. Joe

    I started a disability benefit application online and was on the second part, filling up information about my medical. I saved so I could return later but when I logged back in, I am not able to edit my application anymore. A message states that someone was looking into my application yesterday and is now on their second part of the review. How can I finish placing my information such as my prior job, agreeing to getting my medical information, before my application gets reviewed? Thank you.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Joe. Please contact your local Social Security office for assistance. Thanks! 

  2. Pam s.

    I planned to delay applying for ss benefits but have recently lost my income. I turned 65 in Oct, 2021. Can I still file?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Pam. Age 62 is the earliest you can get retirement benefits. Please bear in mind that the decision on when to apply for benefits is a personal one. We can only provide you with the information to help you make the best choice according to your own situation. Our Retirement Planner provides detailed information about your Social Security retirement benefits under current law. It also points out things you may want to consider as you prepare for the future. We hope this helps. 

  3. Vicky

    Nice info!Healthy All Tips

  4. Mithu

    Thanks for your Information. sports lover bd

  5. Nagorik V.

    Thanks for your Information. Nagorik Voice

  6. Amador

    My Name Is a Aiesh And I Am From Turkey i Just Read This Blog
    Very Good Blog Amazing Guide For Peoples Look And Informative look like A Professional Blog.
    Ertugrul Ghazi
    Good News Advertising

  7. Sandra J.

    Dont know how to continue my application

  8. vicki

    I have been collecting benefits under my ex-husbands record, but am now going to be 70 in July. How do I switch from his record to mine, having opted to delay drawing against my own earnings? Yes, I was born in July of 1952.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Vicki. Since you are currently collecting benefits on your ex-husband’s record, please contact your local Social Security office for assistance. We hope this helps. 

Comments are closed.