5 Ways to Apply for Social Security Benefits OnlineReading Time: 2 Minutes
Last Updated: September 16, 2021
We continue to make it easier for you to access our programs and benefits. Our website offers a convenient way to apply for benefits online.
You can apply online for:
- Retirement or Spouse’s Benefits – You must be at least 61 years and 9 months in age and want your benefits to start in no more than four months. Check out our Apply for Benefits page for information on how to apply.
- Disability Benefits – You can use our online application to apply for disability benefits if you:
- Are age 18 or older.
- Are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record.
- Are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death.
- Have not been denied disability benefits in the last 60 days. If your application was recently denied, our online appeal application, is a starting point to request a review of the determination we made. Please visit our Appeal a Decision page to learn more.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) – SSI is a federal income program funded by general tax revenues, and helps people who have little or no income and who are age 65 or older, blind, or have disabilities. If you meet certain requirements, you may apply online. If you are not able to apply online, call your local Social Security office to apply.
- Medicare – Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people age 65 or older, some people younger than 65 who have disabilities, and people with end-stage renal disease. If you are not already receiving Social Security benefits, you should apply for Medicare three months before turning age 65 at Medicare Benefits page.
- Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Costs – People who need assistance with the cost of medications can apply for Extra Help on our website.
We also encourage you to sign up for a personal my Social Security account if you don’t have one. Using your personal my Social Security account, you can request a replacement Social Security card, verify your earnings, get future benefit estimates, and obtain benefit verification letters.
Please share this information with family and friends – and post it on social media.
Tags: Disability, Medicare, my Social Security, my Social Security account, online services, retirement, Social Security benefits, SSISee Comments
About the Author
I am getting ready to apply for benefits. I will be 64 soon. I am wondering if I start benefits now and then 8 months from now I take a job, how much can I earn annual before there is a hit to my benefits? Can I stop benefits if I take a job earning more then the limits for SS? When I restart the benefits is the amount the same as it was when I stopped them or will it update to my age?
Wish there was a chat session section that I could discuss this with a SS agent…
Hi Dave, thanks for using our blog. If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, then we deduct $1 from benefit payments for every $2 earned above the annual limit. For 2022, that limit is $19,560. There is a special earnings limit rule for those that retire mid-year and have already earned more than the yearly earnings limit. The special rule lets us pay a Social Security check for any whole month your earnings are $1,580 or less and you did not perform substantial services in self-employment, regardless of your yearly earnings.
When you reach full retirement age, we will recalculate your benefit amount to leave out the months when we reduced or withheld benefits due to your excess earnings. In addition, each year we review your work record. If your latest year of earnings turns out to be one of your highest years, we refigure your benefit and pay you any increase due. This is an automatic process, and benefits are paid in December of the following year. For example, in December 2022, you should get an increase for your 2021 earnings if those earnings raised your benefit. The increase would be retroactive to January 2022.
The Getting Benefits While Working web page provides more details.
You may also find our Retirement Earnings Test Calculator helpful.
Really I am very glad to read this news about some effective Ways to Apply for Social Security Benefits Online. I really appreciate the authority for this great initiative to provide top-class social security services to the American people. This is a very useful website where we can learn about how to get a Social Security card, plan for retirement, apply for benefits, etc. Actually, I am a professional online gaming advisor, Recently published a . with us.
Sağlıklı bir yaşam için önerilen özellikle cilt ve eklem ağrılarına iyi gelen sağlık amaçlı işletmeler artık sağlık faaliyeti turizmi altında sunulacağı için firma bu alanda gerekli çalışmalar hakkında sağlık turizmi hizmeti sunar. Yetki belgesi alım süreci ile destek sunan firmanın kendisi de uluslararası geçerliliğe sahip sağlık turizmi yetki belgesi ile hizmet sunuyor. Güvenilir olan firma alanında uzman personelleri ile ülke çapında sektördeki ayrıntıları danışmanlık hizmeti almak isteyenlere hizmet olarak sunuyor.
İletişim Sağlamak İçin
Sağlık turizm alanında hizmet veren firma sağlık turizmi teşvik danışmanlığı hizmetleri ile internet üzerinden çalışmalarını sürdürüyor. Danışmanlık hizmeti almak, online randevu ve diğer bilgiler için firmanın iletişim numaralarını kullanabilirsiniz.
I read all the articles. I appreciate you and get more knowledge that’s helped me. Keep it up. Thank you so much for sharing this oreo tv for pc
It is amazing post, I am really impressed of your post, its really useful. I really happy found this website eventually. Thank you for sharing This article. Windows 10 Activator txt
This information is amazing, good job shiprocket login
very nice information sir ji, mp3 juice .
Medicare is a federal health insurance plan for people over the age of 65, some people under the age of 65 who have disabilities. See this for more information. Click here (blog par traffic kaise badhaye), if you’re not already receiving Social Security benefits, three months before you turn 65 on the Medicare Benefits page to apply for Medicare.
Very Nice. it will help aged people to Secure Social Security.
I filed for SS Benefits online on Jun 1 to start the benefits in October. It’s been in a review status ever since. How long is the review going to take.
Hi Allen, thanks for using our blog. Please contact your local Social Security office. Look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.
I am in the same situation. Applied online and online SSA account shows “in review” since 15 Jul 2021. I am overseas and the FBU (Germany) is NOT accepting phone calls and does NOT respond to online requests. What can I expect to happen and when?
Hi C. Thanks for using our blog. We apologize for the difficult time you are experiencing working with Social Security. We have referred your complaint to our Office of Operations to follow up and to take corrective action as necessary.
Comments are closed.
Dawn Bystry, Acting Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications
Deputy Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications