Disability, Medicare, Online Services, Retirement, Survivors

Your Friend, my Social Security

August 24, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

A woman sits at her computer on the beachEveryone knows the value of a good friend. They give you advice and console you when you’re in need. On August 3, Friendship Day reminded us to acknowledge the people who are closest to us by thanking, loving, and spending quality time with them.

Like a good friend, Social Security’s online services are always there to give you the support you need. Opening a personal my Social Security account is one of the first steps you can take to planning a financially healthy retirement. Simply go online to open or access your account.

With a personal my Social Security account, you can…

  • Keep track of your earnings and verify them every year.
  • Get an estimate of your future benefits if you are still working.
  • Get a letter with proof of your benefits if you currently receive them.
  • Manage your benefits:
    • Change your address.
    • Start or change your direct deposit.
    • Get a replacement Medicare card if you are a current Medicare beneficiary.
    • Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.

Remember, my Social Security is an ever-evolving resource. We continue to research, develop, and add features to better serve you. Our mission is to support you when you need it most. Part of that vital mission is to make it as easy as possible to apply for services when you might be going through hardship. As a friend, we want you to be ready. Join the 20 million people who are making their business with Social Security that much easier with a personal my Social Security account.

All great friends are good listeners, and Social Security is no different. We’ve collected countless messages from the public to craft our Frequently Asked Questions. These questions provide solutions to topics you care about like retirement, disability, Medicare, and Supplemental Security Income. Through our many online resources, we listen to you so that we can continue to provide the world-class service you deserve.

Next time someone asks you, “Have you ever met a friend online?” You can confidently say, “Yeah… my Social Security.” We are here for you 24 hours a day, and we’re only a computer or tablet screen away. Now that’s a friend you can count on.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Phil Gambino, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Assistant Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Debra C.

    I need help finding out why my SS disability was less than my normal deposit

  2. Debra C.

    I am having a major problem finding out why my SS disability deposit was $134.00 less than it normally is.
    it is really hard to live off 1310.00 a month and my deposit for March was $1176.00.

    Please Help

  3. Judy

    Hello, I have been on disability for a brain injury from a roll over car accident . I had to have brain surgery and have had bad memory problems and clinical depression. I have been on disability going on 16 years. All this time I have had to have a payee. I turned 66 in Nov of 2017 and I am now on retirement benefits still with a payee. I have a phyciatrist I see twice a month and I talked to him about receiving my own funds. He had me go take a test at another doctors office before he would decide. The other psychologist said that as long as I was supervised by a family member and stayed under my phyciatrist care that she seen no problem with it. So my doctor finally agreed and wrote me a letter to that effect. I went in to the social security office on Jan 12, 2018 and the rep took the letter and made a copy and had me fill out a SA-11 to be my own payee. At that time I asked her how long does it take to make a decision. She told me approximately three weeks. They had to fax over the sa-11 form to my doctor that wrote the letter and also send my sister who is my payee now notice that I was requesting to be my own payee. It is now March 8, 2018 and I have not heard a word nor has anything been sent to my doctor are sister. I have left I don’t know how many messages with the original rep I seen and she has not returned my calls. I have called and spoke to four different reps explaining to each one the same thing each time. I was told by one that if I filled out the SA-11 that my doctor didn’t have to. And she asked me was my sister my legal guardian I told her no and she said they didn’t have to send my sister any notice if she was not my legal guardian. The four reps I spoke with said they see the application and they would tell me they would send my rep and her supervisor an email to please call me. Still no response. So I went in again last week and sat for two hours only to be told give it a couple of more weeks that maybe they are running behind due to the government shut down?? Then monday I called once again the rep said the same thing as all the others she see’s my application and looks like “she” the rep has not made a decision yet.? I explained how long it has been and no one will tell me what is going on this is so frustrating. So she transferred me over to the original reps supervisor and the voice mail answered and I left her a message and explained what all I have been through and that she has been emailed and the rep has been emailed why want anyone contact me.?? I asked her to please please let me know what is going on with my payee request? I talked to my sister cause she is retired now and no longer wants to deal with being my payee her and her husband wants to travel that is another reason I asked to be my own payee. I told her maybe social security is pulling all my records from 16 years ago before they will make a decision. But shouldn’t the representative at least let me know something?? It will be two months March 12 todays is the 8th. I would appreciate any ideas are thoughts you may have on the reason I am not being contacted. . Thank you so much

    • Ray F.

      Hi Judy. We apologize for the long wait, and we are sorry to hear you did not receive the level of customer service you expected. We can understand your frustration.
      Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the office manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation. If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day.
      Also, to submit your comment, complaint or suggestion, you can write to us or send us an email message. Thanks.

  4. Sarah F.

    Replacement for 2017 withholding statement ,for
    Sarah F Dotson # 1368,
    Email- Sarahdotson41@yahoo.com
    Address: 575 Boring Chapel Rd. Unit 5
    Gray, Tn. 37615

    • Ray F.

      Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media and communicating personal information via email. We do not have access to personal information, therefore, we do not do direct messaging in this venue.
      If you’re looking to get a replacement form SSA-1099, click here. Thanks!

  5. Ren

    I know someone that gets more Social Security than I do. Why is that? They are same as me but they receive more

  6. dani

    ” While this issue can vexed most people, my thought is that there has to be a middle or common ground that we all can find. I do value that you’ve added pertinent and sound commentary here though. Thank you! ”


  7. John M.

    Hello. I am a 70 year old disabled veteran now currently being treated for stage 4 cancer at the va hospital. I am married and receiving regular social security. My wife has no income or social security. I’d like to know what or how much social security, if any, that my wife may be entitled to when I pass? She is 58 years of age. Also, would she be entitled to medicare Part A and/or Part B? Besides looking forward to your answers, can you please direct me/us to the site that fully explains what my wife may or may not be entitled to after I pass? Thank You.

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for your question John. A widow can start receiving reduced benefits as early as age 60 (age 50 if disabled). Medicare is our country’s health insurance program for people age 65 or older. However, certain people younger than age 65 can qualify for Medicare, too, including those with disabilities and those who have permanent kidney failure. We hope this information helps.

  8. Samantha

    Thank you for your response.

    Sorry for any misunderstanding. I thought I was just explaining the basis for my question as others did in the blog not asking for personal advice just seeking program advice.

    I will try to contact SSI again but my local office has not been very helpful. That’s why I wanted to know if there
    was any outside agency help.

  9. Samantha


    I was receiving SSI and SSDI. Social Security recently cancelled my SSI retroactively back to 2014.

    Can you please tell me how my SSI being retroactively cancelled back to 2014 will affect my prior Medicaid claims as I was receiving extra help?

    Can you please tell me who I can contact for assistance regarding an error in my SSI that has created a significant overpayment for money that I previously reported to SSI? Is there an SSI omnibudsman or advocate that can assist me with this process?

    I have already contacted 800 and local office by phone and mail but did not get the assistance or clarification I was requesting.

    Thank you

    • Ray F.

      We wish we could be more help Samantha, but for security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Your local office will be able to assist you better with the overpayment issue. For more information and to learn about appeal and waiver rights, read our publication on “Overpayments“. For information on Medicaid, please contact your State Medicaid agency. Thanks.

  10. Richard D.

    I am 48 years old. I was awarded social security & medicare due to AIDs. If I choose to get married, will this mess up my benefits?

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for your question Richard. If you get Social Security disability (SSDI) benefits and you marry, your benefit will stay the same. Also, keep in mind that there is no family coverage under Medicare. However you should contact them directly. On the other hand, if someone is receiving disability benefits under the Supplemental Security Income program, getting married may affect their benefits. Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page for more information.

Comments are closed.