Disability, Medicare, Online Services, Retirement, Survivors

Your Friend, my Social Security

August 24, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

A woman sits at her computer on the beachEveryone knows the value of a good friend. They give you advice and console you when you’re in need. On August 3, Friendship Day reminded us to acknowledge the people who are closest to us by thanking, loving, and spending quality time with them.

Like a good friend, Social Security’s online services are always there to give you the support you need. Opening a personal my Social Security account is one of the first steps you can take to planning a financially healthy retirement. Simply go online to open or access your account.

With a personal my Social Security account, you can…

  • Keep track of your earnings and verify them every year.
  • Get an estimate of your future benefits if you are still working.
  • Get a letter with proof of your benefits if you currently receive them.
  • Manage your benefits:
    • Change your address.
    • Start or change your direct deposit.
    • Get a replacement Medicare card if you are a current Medicare beneficiary.
    • Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.

Remember, my Social Security is an ever-evolving resource. We continue to research, develop, and add features to better serve you. Our mission is to support you when you need it most. Part of that vital mission is to make it as easy as possible to apply for services when you might be going through hardship. As a friend, we want you to be ready. Join the 20 million people who are making their business with Social Security that much easier with a personal my Social Security account.

All great friends are good listeners, and Social Security is no different. We’ve collected countless messages from the public to craft our Frequently Asked Questions. These questions provide solutions to topics you care about like retirement, disability, Medicare, and Supplemental Security Income. Through our many online resources, we listen to you so that we can continue to provide the world-class service you deserve.

Next time someone asks you, “Have you ever met a friend online?” You can confidently say, “Yeah… my Social Security.” We are here for you 24 hours a day, and we’re only a computer or tablet screen away. Now that’s a friend you can count on.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Phil Gambino, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Assistant Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Norman H.

    I retired from the US Army in Jan 1974 and currently receiving retired pay.. In June 1975 I started working for the US Postal Service. In 1999 when I turned 70 years of age I started receiving Social Security payments. How will my SSA benefits be affected when I retire from the US Postal Service.

  2. Edith B.

    I have no complaints….. Just wanted to thank you
    for sending my SS Ck. each month… I now have
    deminitia so I forget a lot but still try to use the
    computer to help keep my mind working…

    Again, thanks for taking care of me

    • Ray F.

      Thank you Edith for using our blog to share your thoughts! We’re pleased we can help. We will continue our efforts to meet your requirements and expectations in the years to come.

    • dr n.

      yes, i also want to echo edith’s last sentence.


      just so you can guess who old i am….


      THANK YOU VERY MUCH AGAIN, everyone.

  3. Annie

    For those of you who are asking about the 20% not covered under Medicare, you should look into a Medicare Supplement policy (Medigap). Although there is a premium for these plans, it covers the deductibles and co-pays that Medicare has so you end up with 100% coverage. All major carriers offer them (BCBS, AARP for example). My mother has an HMO type policy with Humana which coordinates with Medicare and is much less expensive. Hope this helps.

  4. Fine F.

    I am on disability, and my Medicare Pay 80% and I don’t have any other help to pay the other 20%. I am on Kidney Dialysis, Please I need your help. Thanks.

  5. Cathy

    I am a single mom with a teenage daughter with disabilities that currently received ssi..
    my ex husband is retiring in September this year do I am entitled to 39% of his pension… I am unemployed, have been for 7 years due to my own health issues and being my daughter’s sole caretaker.. I am in fear that I may lose her ssi because I am showing an income, her ssi is based on my income. . Why? ?
    we cannot live on $15,000 a year..
    I am stressing over this thought every day, I will not even be able to pay my rent or anything, I’ve been denied ssi 5 times in the last 4 years, what can I do?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Cathy! The Supplemental Security Income or SSI program, requires that we consider some of your income and resources to be available to your daughter. We also take into consideration her living arrangements. These factors may affect whether your daughter can continue receiving SSI benefits and how much. The process of determining how much of your income and resources we will count is called “deeming“.
      You have to file for divorced spouse benefits when you become eligible Cathy, but it’s still possible that your daughter can continue to receive her SSI benefits after we conduct a “Redetermination”. We hope this information helps.

  6. Mary S.

    I am 71. I would love to have a my social security account but you won’t let me. I had a problem with ID theft and froze my credit with all 3 bureaus. I can’t afford to leave myself open to more ID theft and you won’t let me sign up with the credit frozen. I have been receiving social security since 2009. I fail to see why you need to check my credit. I’m not borrowing money from you. FYI my credit score is 780 according to my Capital One Credit Card Account.

    • Hope

      You can unfreeze your credit reports
      for short periods of time(you pick the
      amount of time). Just call each credit
      bureau and give them your password
      and pay a small fee and they will open
      up your accounts. You must then notify the Social Security Administration that the account are open and how long they will be open.
      You might call SS first and see how you can co-ordinate this.

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for the inconvenience, but you’re right Mary, you cannot create a my Social Security account online if you have a security freeze, fraud alert, or both on your credit report. You can still create an account without removing the security freeze or fraud alert, but you will have to visit your local Social Security office. Hope this helps!

  7. Fawzi H.

    Retired, I benefit from social security, but with an overseas address. As of now, I cannot obtain a mySocialSecurity account because a U.S. address is required when signing up. I do not have a U.S. address. Please amend your system to allow retirees who moved outside the U.S. to go online for contacts, same as other beneficiaries.
    Thank you,

    Fawzi Malouf

    • Ray F.

      We are sorry for the inconvenience, Fawzi. The “my Social Security” authentication system requires address verification as one of the essential criteria for issuing an account. People with APO/FPO/DPO addresses can create an account overseas, but our system does not support registration and account creation for users with a foreign address yet. Please contact your local U.S. embassy or consulate for any assistance related to your Social Security benefits.

  8. David B.

    Sir;I do have a question if I may.I am getting SSI because I cannot work(due to age and other issues I cannot control)My question is are there other ways to get some help with basic living issues?I have not had huel for cooking or hot water for a few years now,I need some basic repairs to my home.I have not been able to find any one to help r even answer my questions.I get just enough to pay mortgage,tax and water,sewer.After that I am allowed only about 20 dollars a week for all other things I need..Always end up after paying mandatory bills and car cost with 0 for the rest of the month.Can you PLEASE help point in a direction where I may find some help? Starting to lose hope,wonder if it is even worth trying any more.This may be my last hope/try. Thank You for you7r time,( I am sure that you will not even see this letter,no one ever seems too so far)

    • Henry B.

      If you haven’t already done so, contact the local office of Aging and Disability Services. This may be either a state or a county office, depending on where you live. They have case management and a case manager should be able to point you in the right direction for getting additional assistance.

    • Jackie W.

      Maybe you would benefit from a reverse mortgage. You could get income while you are still living in the house.

    • Ray F.

      Hello Mr. Brooke, Individuals receiving SSI benefits may also be eligible to receive social services from the state in which they live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services or welfare office. Or you can visit the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) web page for more information.
      We hope this information helps !

    • dr n.

      david where do you live, please?

      do you have a phone for contact and such, please?

      i like to help some, K?

      just try to follow henry’s suggestions and see what happens first, K?

      best wishes


    • Dottie

      Hi David, You should get in touch with Social Services, Office on Aging, ask your County Clerks Office, your Township Office and Welfare. I know it’s hard for people who have worked all their lives to ask for help, but remember, you have already paid for any kind of help you can get!! I don’t know where you live but N.J. has programs that help with your gas and electricity also. I know how hard they make it for you to get anything but keep applying. Sometimes they even have programs to help with home repairs. I wish you well and good luck ? Don’t give up ?

  9. Brenda D.

    I already get SSA do you think i could get SSI all i get is 783.00 a month my bill’s is over 1000.00 a month.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Brenda! The Supplemental Security Income or SSI, is a needs based program that pays benefits to people with limited income and resources who are age 65 or older, blind or disabled. There are times when people can receive both SSI and Social Security benefits, depending on their situation and whether they meet the requirements.
      The maximum SSI payment for an individual this year is $733.00, and $1,100 for couples. The best way to find out if you qualify for SSI benefits is to apply.
      Please call us at 1-800-772-1213 Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. or contact your local Social Security office.
      You may also be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. We hope this helps!

    • Judy

      Brenda, you might want to look into the Medicaid assistance in your state too,

  10. Carlos F.

    I’m 72 years old and would like to know what to do, and how to do to not be responsible any more for the 20 % payments on my medical expenses. I do not want to modify my Medicare.

    • Russell

      Look for a Medicare Supplement insurance plan; AARP offers one. Mine is from a former employer, which now leaves me with 10% of a bill to pay. There are other healthcare insurance companies which offer them.

      • eliedith

        United Healthcare has a medicare supplement plan endorsed by AARP

    • Ray F.

      Carlos, visit the Medicare website to learn about programs available to assist people with low income to pay for Medicare expenses. Many states also have programs to help with Medicare payments. You can find out about them by calling your State Medical Assistance Office. To get the local phone number, call the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at 1-800-633-4227 (TTY, 1-877-486-2048). Thanks!

Comments are closed.