From September 15 to October 15, we celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. This is when we honor the contributions of Hispanics to American society and celebrate this warm and vibrant culture. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Hispanics make up about 17.8 percent of our nation’s total population.
As with all ethnicities in America, Hispanics can benefit from learning about Social Security’s benefit programs. We want to share with all Hispanics, particularly those of you who are younger, information about how Social Security helps support you now, what we mean for your future, and our commitment to be there with you throughout your life’s journey. By knowing about our benefits and basic services, you can see how we can help you secure today and tomorrow.
Here are ten ways to get you started:
- Go to our website to find a wealth of resources and information on everything our agency does. It’s also available in Spanish at SeguroSocial.gov.
- Visit our Hispanics and Social Security page to learn how we are there for you. You can also share it with your Spanish speaking family and friends.
- Understand what Social Security means to you during your student years.
- Learn how you earn Social Security credits.
- Read how Social Security is with you from your first job, through your working life, and in your retirement.
- Open a my Social Security account to help you stay in control of your Social Security record and so much more!
- Educate yourself on our disability program.
- See how Social Security takes care of surviving family members.
- Help your older family members stay informed.
- Check out our With You Through Life’s Journey infographic, also in Spanish, and share it with your friends.
Social Security is always here for you. If you need information about programs and benefits, visit us anytime. Feliz Hispanic Heritage Month!