Social Security Benefits U.S. Citizens Outside the United States

Benefits-outside-the-USOver half a million people who live outside the United States receive some kind of Social Security benefit, including retired and disabled workers, as well as spouses, widows, widowers, and children.

If you’re a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the United States as long as you are eligible. When we say you are “outside the United States,” we mean you’re not in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, or American Samoa. Once you’ve been outside the United States for at least 30 days in a row, we consider you to be outside the country.

If you are traveling outside the U.S. for an extended amount of time, it’s important that you tell Social Security the date you plan to leave and the date you plan to come back, no matter how long you expect your travel to last. Then we can let you know whether your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) will be affected.

You can use this online tool to find out if you can continue to receive your Social Security benefits if you are outside the United States or are planning to go outside the United States at

This tool will help you find out if your retirement, disability, or survivor’s payments will continue as long as you are eligible, stop after six consecutive calendar months, or if certain country specific restrictions apply.

When you live outside the United States, periodically we’ll send you a questionnaire. Your answers will help us figure out if you still are eligible for benefits. Return the questionnaire to the office that sent it as soon as possible. If you don’t, your payments will stop. In addition to responding to the questionnaire, notify us promptly about changes that could affect your payments.

You can also read the publication titled Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States at

Social Security is with you through life’s journey, even if that journey takes you outside the United States.


708 thoughts on “Social Security Benefits U.S. Citizens Outside the United States

  1. We have moved. Need to give you our new address.We are collecting SS in Canada. Thank you very much. Also Would like phone no. for outside US.


    RICHARD T VANCIL PHONE 720 313 0100
    *** – ** – ***

  3. Looking for SS benefits for my foreign wife who is a non green card holder or non US citizen. I am receiving my SS and am 75 yrs. old, she is 74 yrs. old and we have been married for 7 yrs. We live between United States and Mexico 50% of the time.
    Please advise me, as no one I call can answer this question.
    My cell phone is 314-422-6180
    My email is.
    Hopefully you will be able to help me.
    Gary L. Hackmann

  4. I’m impressed, I must say. you hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

  5. I am retired USA citizen living in Batangas, Philippines. The Social Security, through USA Philippine Embassy has refused to pay my Retirement Pension for the last five months. In USA, Social Security is very corrupt. I never had problem with USA Embassy in Ireland or Thailand. I have noticed customer service is a disgrace. Citizens of Philippines are not treated with respect. They are told lies about direct deposit. I suspect money laundering similar to what Obama did in Iran, China, and Russia. Can I get free legal help?

  6. I am a U.S. citizen residing/working in Egypt. I am 70 & receive SS Benefits. I have read on-line that those benefits are not taxable since the U.S. has an agreement with Egypt to that effect. Can you verify this for me. Thank you!

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *