Social Security Benefits to Increase in 2019

October 11, 2018 • By

man and woman on balcony outside smiling Each year we announce the annual cost-of-living adjustment (COLA). Usually there is an increase in the Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefit amount people receive each month, starting the following January. By law, federal benefits increase when the cost of living rises, as measured by the Department of Labor’s Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W).

The CPI-W rises when prices increase for the things the average consumer buys. This means that when prices for goods and services we purchase become more expensive, on average, the COLA increases monthly benefit levels and helps you keep up with the changing cost of living.

As a result, more than 67 million Americans will see a 2.8 percent increase in their Social Security and SSI benefits in 2019.

January 2019 marks other changes that will happen based on the increase in the national average wage index. For example, the maximum amount of earnings subject to Social Security payroll tax, as well as the retirement earnings test exempt amount, will change in 2019.

Want to know your new benefit amount as soon as possible? In December 2018, we will post Social Security COLA notices online for retirement, survivors, and disability beneficiaries who have a my Social Security account. You will be able to view and save these COLA notices securely via the Message Center inside my Social Security.

Be the first to know! Sign up for or log in to your personal my Social Security account today and choose email or text under “Message Center Preferences” to receive courtesy notifications so you won’t miss your electronic COLA notice!

This year, you will still receive your COLA notice by mail. In the future, you will be able to choose whether you receive your notice online instead of on paper. Online notices will not be available to representative payees, individuals with foreign mailing addresses, or those who pay higher Medicare premiums due to their income. We plan to expand the availability of COLA notices to additional online customers in the future.

You can find more information about the 2019 COLA here.

Tags: , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author


Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment.

  1. Robert B Moss

    I need my benefit letter from 2018 please and agency is requesting it

    • Luis A., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi Robert. Thanks for your question. If you are referring to the cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) notices for 2019, those notices were mailed in December. If your address changed after November 15, 2019, the notice was mailed to the address on record (your previous address if you moved). You may call our toll-free number 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to request a copy. We hope this helps.

  2. Timothy M. Warner

    I am an army vet age 95, in reasonably good health, and in full retirement. Increases in Social Security are always welcome. Thanks for keeping us invormedl

  3. Louise Stevenson

    My pension is with STRS .. state teachers retirement services. Will my social sercurity be increase this year because we will receive no cola from STRS.. If yes what is the formula that will be used.

    • Ann C., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, Louise. Thanks for your question. By law, the Social Security Administration uses the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W) determined by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) in the Department of Labor to calculate Cost-of-living adjustment (COLA). For more information on the COLA, visit here. We hope this information is helpful.

  4. Arlene Jabbour

    I missed my paper from ss telling me about the raise I would be getting do not know how much or when it Starts Just relived my ss check and there’s no raise in it.


    I need to change my income for 2020. The amount I originally posted is too low.

  6. Bonnie L Malone

    I have lost my SSI income statement for 2019 that I need for taxes. I have tried to go online, but SS refuses to recognize my id and password, and won’t let me reregister, saying I already am (although it won’t let me in with the ID password I was given by SSI).
    Help! What do I do!

  7. Calvin Thomas

    Where can I find my 1099 of 2019 Tax Return on the your web site ?

    • Ann C., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, Calvin. Thanks for your question. You can request a replacement SSA-1099/1042S for Tax Year 2019 by visiting your personal my Social Security account. We hope this helps.

  8. kenneth g huck

    I have an alert message 2/10/2020 in my message center but can’t open it. my computer and 2019 tax filing was compromised due to a computer hack. help

    • Ann C., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, Kenneth. We are sorry to hear you have had difficulty accessing your personal my Social Security account. If you are still unable to access an account or encounter a problem with your personal my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  9. Francesco Romano

    Hello, My name is Francesco Romano. I’m on Disability, I’m 44 and struggling with two boys. I’m a single father. I wanted to know what my chances of a significant increase would be on my social security. I collect 950 a month, that’s not enough to buy clothes. My contact number is 215-292-0612. I appreciate any help. Thank You!

    • Ann C., Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi, Francesco. We are sorry to hear about your situation. You may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which you live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. To find out whether you may qualify and if you need to file a separate application call the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services at 1-800-633-4227 (TTY, 1-877-486-2048). You also can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services or welfare office. Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. We hope this helps.

  10. Eleanor White

    What are my total benefits paid for 2019


Leave a Comment

Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment. For your safety, please do not post Personally Identifiable Information (such as your Social Security Number, address, phone number, email address, bank account number, or birthdate) on our blog.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *