Social Security, A Source of Independence for Millions

people eating outside On July 4, people in communities everywhere celebrate our nation’s independence with neighbors, family, and friends. A strong community promotes independence by helping each other lead full and productive lives.

Social Security has been helping people maintain a higher quality of life and a level of independence for over 80 years. Over those decades, we’ve made it even easier for you to access the programs and benefits you might need. Now, applying online is the fastest way to get those crucial benefits.

Here are some the types of benefits you can apply for:

  • Retirement or Spouse’s Benefits – You must be at least 61 years and 9 months old and want your benefits to start no more than four months in the future. Apply online.
  • Disability – You can apply online for disability benefits or continue an application you already started. Apply for Disability today.
  • Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Costs – Many people need assistance with the cost of medications. Apply for Extra Help online.
  • Medicare – Medicare is a national health insurance program administered by the U.S. federal government that began in 1966. You can apply online or continue an application you already started.
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI) – SSI is a federal income program funded by general tax revenues designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people who have little or no income. You may be able to apply online if you meet certain requirements. See if you can apply online for SSI.

Social Security provides benefits for millions of people including wounded warriors and children, the chronically ill and the disabled who cannot work. Find the help you or your family need at our website.

Don’t forget, our many online services can provide you and the ones you love with lifelong independence. From replacing a lost Social Security card to estimating your benefits, you can access these powerful tools at our online services website.


65 thoughts on “Social Security, A Source of Independence for Millions

  1. Good Afternoon; I would like to apply for my MEDICARE
    CARD, which I failed to request for soon after my
    birthdate this year. How can I obtain my card?

  2. Be it known that I got a couple of different jobs in the last three weeks! The first job was at Kathy Kaye Foods where I worked as a production person and I only worked two days at Kathy Kaye Foods, and I got transferred from that job to North Atlantic Imports by Intermountain Staffing who provided me with these jobs. I’m unemployed right now and I’m looking for another job where I can hopefully hold on to for a long time and not have to change jobs. As soon as I land another job, I’ll give you the information

  3. I was asked if I had made an appointment but how could I. The robo answering device tells you to come in. There is. No human to triage questions in the Xenia OH office

    • We apologize for the inconvenience, Dr. Majers. We have referred your comment to our Operations staff to follow up and to take corrective action as necessary.
      Please keep in mind, that many of our services are conveniently available anytime at our website. We encourage our customers to create a my Social Security account. With a personal my Social Security account, you can get estimates of your retirement, disability, and survivors benefits, review your earnings record and much more.
      We appreciate your feedback, and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

  4. Hello. My name is Melissa Hurd. Ive been on SSI Disability since Nay 1995. Due to a massive stroke and other medical issues. Since then my health has gotten worse. Even though I’m 51 years old. Can I Apply and be approved for Social Security for people that are 51 years old and still receive my SSI Benefits. Please email me ( Thank you so much for your time. And Have a very wonderful safe and a very GODLY BLESSED DAY and Holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    • Short answer, no, that’s why you’re on SSI. SSI rules say you have to apply for anything else you are entitled, SO when you applied, other benefits were covered.

    • Hello Melissa. We pay disability benefits through two programs: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
      The SSI program is a needs-based program that pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources.
      When it comes to qualifying for disability benefits under the Social Security Disability Insurance program (SSDI), you must be “currently insured” or have worked long enough–and recently enough—under Social Security. See Insured Status Requirements for more information.
      If you have specific questions about your situation, please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
      Just a reminder – We do not have access to personal information, therefore, we do not do direct messaging in this venue. Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media and communicating personal information via email. Thanks!

  5. I set up an account for my wife on my social It was for Arline F. Sweeney and I wrote down all of the info. Now it won’t let me log back on. Do I set up a different account or do away with it and just use the mail !!

    • Just a friendly reminder, Joe. You can only create a my Social Security account using your own personal information and for your own exclusive use. You cannot create or use an account on behalf of another person, even if you have that person’s written permission.
      If your wife is still having trouble accessing her my Social Security account, she can call our dedicated my Social Security-Hotline for assistance.
      To reach this hotline, call 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”, or contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  6. Having good faith and intention of the Social Security program though many few are able to enjoy and many others are entangled in poor health, debt, broken family and many more reasons to suffer, live poor life. We together find the way for them to cheer the rest of the life.

  7. I have not visited this web sight today. I have had my identy stolen and has been a real trial for me.

  8. Dear Jim Borland Commissioner

    Admiration to the abiding to the coming of judgement in core regulation be defined the obligation in medical entitlement be arranged to aspects in ideal rational prospective in thank for further information to conduct person filing . Access will be restore after the holiday in my own person inquiries related to posted appeal of January 2012 in the obligation recent medical finding in attention to this prior year . All respective are disclosed to question the Social security Commissioner for the corresponding in detail posture exclaim in regulation opposition in the omission applied law regards to the possibility in counted consideration to pose the order in arrange court .


  10. Based on the few comments I’m allowed to see, today’s article generated so much crap that one can conclude that the taxpayer’s money was again wasted.

  11. July 4th for is about i am grateful to be in this Country for 32 years and participate on 32 July 4th but by grace of God my high power to day i am save in name of Jesus Christ my sevior social security administration thank you advance for our help.

  12. Dear Sirs,
    I am Wade Edward Hinson Purple Heart Oak Leaf.

    My current guardian applied for and provided a Social Security number, but it isn’t my old social security number.

    But, I need to access my police service and military service medical history. I don’t believe I can do this with the current Social Security number. I can provide you with my old automobile license number. Yet, after the messy divorce and homelessness, subsequent relocation and then yet more massive head-wounds and amnesia, I cannot provide you with any other records. And my current guardian is no help.

    Can Social Security, once again provide me with my original and all subsequent numbers associated with Wade Edward Hinson formerly of Monson Maine and Dexter Maine (the Drivers License is from Dexter… ).

    • Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot assist you. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  13. Happy July 4, 2018.

    I have been helping my father, Betwel Assu Palik. He was born on October 18, 1930. He started working when he was twenty years old. He was hired by the Pacific Micronesia Shipping Lines contracted by the U.S. Navy controlled by the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands from a headquarters in Guam until 1951, when the United States Depattment of the Interior took over control, administering the TTPI from a base in Saipan. He lost his U.S. Social Security card while he was working on a different ship, going around the TTPI and he never remembers his Social Security numbers. He later transfer from Guam to Kwajalein military base to continued working from 1952 to 1976 with the Global Company contracted by the U.S. Army base in Kwajalein in the Marshall islands.

  14. Are we going to get a substantial raise in SS this year? The monies used to help the illegals as well as the refugees indicates there must be money available for us that actually worked for it. The last increase we got didn’t cover the increase in our Medicare insurance.

  15. The monies used to help the illegals as well as the refugees indicates there must be money available for us that actually worked for it. Are we going to get a substantial raise in SS this year? The last increase we got didn’t cover the increase in our Medicare insurance.

  16. Why is will no one help me back on ssi/ medicaid. You cut me off. I talked to someone and was told things are fine but nothing was done. Very frustraing. Cant pay. Any rent and how do I deal with medical. I have problems. This is killing me and you cant live for free. Why are you doing this to me?

    • Hello Brendan. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation.
      Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  17. I need to replace my U.S. Citizenship Certificate, which was lost to mold after hurricanes Katrina, Wilma, and sad neglect on my part. Now, many services are on standby, because I cannot produce the document. I spent over $500 to some government office, and I never got my replacement certificate of naturalization, which, if memory serves, I naturalized in 1979. My attempt to get the replacement, dates to about a year and a half, by internet. Please help me, or direct me. I am disabled and certifiably, computer-stupid.
    Thanks in advance for any reply.
    Michael H.

  18. I’m typing this in recognition of how wonderful and blessed I am to have the Social Security Administration on my side in times of despair and financial need. You see seven years ago my primary care physician diagnosed my ear infection as scabies, after several other second opinions by other specialists in the health care field. I realize the Social Security Administration means and does what it says – and that is help people with certain disability stay financial independent to provide reasonable and adequate housing for people who qualify. Again I would like to thank the SSA for all their Financial Assistants, I could not have done this without you, with deep appreciation, THANK YOU.

  19. How much can one receive monthly, if one earns about $80.000 a year and start receiving social security benefits at 62. Is there any other penalty beside the fact that the benefit will be indefinitely reduced by about 25%.

  20. Is there any penalty if one earns about $80.00 a year and decided to start receiving social security benefit at 62.

  21. Can I now go online and start my online account again?
    I am an “alternate player recipient”.
    Please let me know if it is “fixed yet”.

  22. Thank you, for the great information daily I do received from SSA, soon I will be 63 years, I hope to continue to keep working still my full benefice age coming, if my health will be great. But! My sickness want to putting me down, I am suffer from Diabetic since October 2002. Thanks God my wife had insurance from her job in the UNION who supports me so much, where I am working as a school bus driver, I don’t have any benefice and insurance.
    I work there for over six years, I am only hope to knowing if I could survive for 65 years just to have the Medicare who very important for me to seeing the doctor, even I paying the rest of the money.
    Thanks again SSA for great care of each one of us daily.
    Emmanuel LaTouche
    9910 195th Street
    Hollis, NY 11423-3222

  23. How do I go about changing my Social Security direct deposit from my old bank account number to a new bank account number? I have had to change my bank account number due to fraud activity occurring. Is there a direct phone number I can call at Social Security to resolve this change from old account to new account immediately? Please contact me ASAP! Thank you

  24. Seeking publication that specifically lists what income can be earned without reducing benefits after being qualified for RSDI .

  25. If my children receive social security disability through/ because of their father’s disability, at what age do they stop getting financial benefits? Also, if I seek to Terminate his rights in our home-state of Texas because there has been no contact in 7 years, do the kids quit receiving benefits if termination is granted?

    • Hello Melody. Normally, benefits for children stop when children reach age 18, unless they are disabled. However, if the child is still a full-time student at a secondary (or elementary) school at age 18, Social Security benefits will continue until the child graduates or until two months after the child becomes age 19, whichever is first.
      Childhood disability benefits are also payable after reaching age 18, if the disability began before age 22.
      See Benefits Planner: Family Benefits for more information. Thanks!

  26. Hello my wife was approved for SSDI 03/01/2017. She has a son that lives with her ex husband who has been on SSDI for approx 18 years. She is ordered to pay child support for her son and the payments have been attached to her SSDI check even though her ex husband is already receiving a monthly check for the child. The child support was ordered while she was in the process of being approved. Does social security allow for dependent allowance for her natural born child from this marriage since her ex husband as well as herself have been deemed disabled and he has custody. I am asking on her behalf as I am the representative payeee

  27. I have multiple disabilities.
    Due to my conditions with prescribed control drugs with lost of balance and chronic pain through out my body and muscle weakness with depression.
    I still try to get out my home to stay active.
    I tried working for myself before applying for disability.
    I gave it my best but could not make ends meet due to my limits and dangers of falling.
    My question is, if a friend needs help and I try to lend a helping hand with my knowledge, and want to give me a donation for helping, is this considered an income enough to file or contact the nearest disability office? even if it is only once a year?
    $10/$100 donation.

    Thank you in advance

    • Hello Chris. If receiving SSI benefits, “Unearned Income”: is all income that is not earned such as Social Security benefits, pensions, State disability payments, unemployment benefits, interest income, dividends and cash from friends and relatives.
      See Understanding Supplemental Security Income for more information. Thanks!

  28. “Nice post. I be taught something more difficult on totally different blogs everyday. It’ll at all times be stimulating to read content from different writers and observe a bit something from their store. I’d desire to make use of some with the content material on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll offer you a link on your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.”

  29. My spouse is 60 and has decided to take his SS at 62. I’m 62 and plan to wait until my FRA of 66. He’s worked over 35 years and is the higher income earner. Will I still receive half of $2,600 each month at my FRA, or does his early retirement prevent this amount? I see online that he’ll receive $1,846 at 62. Thank you

    • Hello Mari, your benefit as a spouse is equal to one-half of your spouse’s full retirement amount, if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age. See our web page: “Benefits For You As A Spouse” for more information.
      If you need further assistance, call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  30. I am 64 years old and want to know when do I need to apply for medicare or will I get medicare automatically? I’m still working. Should I change insurance to make medicare my primary insurance?
    Is it best to request my deceased spouse’s social security or my own?

  31. Why isn’t there a capability on the “My Social Security” web site to start/change federal tax withholding (W4P) from retired social security benefits?

  32. I received Social Security at age 65 and have continued to work, I will be no longer working as of Dec.31,2019, do I have to let Social Security know I no longer work?

    • Hi, Clifton. We understand there have been reports about the possibility of additional government payments to individuals due to the economic effects of the Coronavirus. At this time, no law has been passed that calls for Social Security to issue any new payments. We hope this helps to answer your question.

  33. My son has been on ssi since 2010 and has 4 disabilities and just got cut off. But still has disabilities and is 16 now but still has a IEP and ADHD and Learning disabitlies and has asthma bad allergies and yet they say he isn’t no longer qualified to get ssi anymore. But yet has medicine and home breathing nebulizer and all. So what do I need to do to get him back on ssi. I have appealed the choice every time and now they said I can appeal without getting his ssi until a reverse decision is made on turning his check back on. I need help and someone to help me with this please. And ty.

    • Hi Dana. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information.

Leave a Reply - (comment policy)

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *