Disability, Online Services, Retirement, Survivors

Simplify Your Life Week

August 6, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

A busy woman working at a laptop.You’re a busy person! Today’s world is fast-paced and leaves you with a lot to juggle each day.

This is Simplify Your Life Week, and we’re here to help save you time and energy so you can spend more time on the things you enjoy.

What if we told you there’s a place that can help you meet many of your Social Security needs at once?

You can access many of our convenient and secure services online when you visit our Online Services page. In a matter of minutes, you can open your personal my Social Security account and view your earnings history in your Social Security Statement. The Retirement Estimator is another great tool to help find the best retirement age for you based on your earnings and your individual circumstances. This is a simple and quick way to see what you could be getting every month after you start receiving retirement benefits.

When you join the millions who already do business with us online, you can find out if you qualify for benefits. Then, you can get estimates of the future retirement, disability, and survivor benefits you or your family could be eligible to receive. After that, the next step is applying for those benefits electronically! In most retirement cases, that’s it. You don’t have any more papers to sign or documents to provide.

If you already receive benefits, you can access your benefit verification letter, change your address or phone number, and start or update direct deposit information.

Simplifying your life isn’t just about removing distractions; it’s also about improving your quality of life. Let us help you, whether you’re going through a major life change or you want to rest easy after seeing the options your future holds. Using our online services is just one more way you can make your life less complicated!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. David A.

    My wife passed away 2 years ago from cancer.
    She worked all her life and paid into ss 35 plus years.
    I turned 60 last year and went to ssi office to see about survivor benefits.
    I couldnt get any because i make too much, which isnt that much by todays standards, less than 6 figures.
    Well, i lost a huge chunk of yearly salary when she died and I am not making bills, college loans, etc, etc.
    I cant make anything work with my ss until i reach full retirement age.
    It just doesnt make any sense ii would have to be at poverty level to get this benefit.
    She paid all her life into this, but others who never contributed get the money, her money.
    This is wrong, and sends a very wrong message.
    Be a bum and you can get money. Work your butt off, have a tradgedy and you may lose all you gained.
    I am so dismayed by this, i just cant believe it and get it outta my mind, especially when my daughters weddings come and I got nothing to give now….
    Is there any recourse at all?

    • Ray F.

      We are sorry to hear about your loss Mr. Alexander. You can still work and receive your Social Security retirement benefits at the same time. However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, this can reduce the number of payments you receive through the year. For 2016 that limit is $15,720. This limit changes in the year you reach full retirement age. Visit our Retirement Planner where you can see “How We Deduct Earnings From Benefits”. To learn more, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page or read our publication “How Work Affects Your Benefits”. If you have additional questions, please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and talk with one of our representatives.

  2. Jeffrey

    Yeah no wonder the Soc Sec administration is gonna be bankrupt soon

    I am disabled & receive monthly SSDI checks. & I’m getting SCREWEDcbecayse I was honest unlike my ex wife! I am disabled & have not worked sense 2007. I put in for SSDI in multiple injuries but they put my rt arm as the dominate didabiliy. I have neurrooathy in both legs @ have gone through spinal fusion & I&D. Failed fusion. Then my arm I’ve had about 35 surgeries _& Need more on both but can’t afford the trio fo masshile where my Dr is. My ex hauled me into court in 2013 & said she was unemployed. They upped my ÇS from 325 a month to 550. She never proved she was unemployed nor showed proof if income. I later learned that SSDI payments mad to the children are subtracted from the CS order. They tried 5 min to contact Soc SDC. & couldn’t & was ordered to go back to court once it was confirmed. My 3 boys from 1st marriage got it & 2 and ex lied _& said no because Sic Sec was not reached ( this was in sub 2013. I notified the state of masshole on this & insteadcof having her the recioiant fill it out they wantedcme gto fill out an income _& earnings. I called soc sec & they confirmed she WAS getting SSDI & WAS ABOVE MY CS order but would not sag anything else. I later received a letter from the state of masshoke that according to their records a reduction in CS was warranted bug they failed to contact my ex in regards to Rosenberg vs Meridian . i stopped paying CS because in the past she had me in court with in a week. She hasn’t this time & she texted me she wasn’t because she doesn’t want to pay back the 559 a ninth x 36. I was honest calling mass hole DOR & why I stopped paying because the SSDI ammt is 159 more than the ZcZs order _( remember she said she was unemployed? She’s working 7 days a week at a hospital. They sag I I’ve 2500 in back CS even though the law says u don’t & she’s already getting 675 a month in SSDI for my daughtervokus the 550 CS because she never filed she was gettingvit NIR did nasshike DOR EVER subt4act it from the CS order & now Soc Sec is garnishing 659 a month from my 1200 a month SSDI check ! You do he math!! He’s fetttung 575 month ssdi for daughter + 559 month in CS because massgole never subtracted my ssdi payment to her from is & now Sic sec is tàkung 625 a ninth out of my 1200 monthly ssdi check!! Do the math that’s almost 2’009 a month for 1 kid &I’m disabled!! I couldn’t fill out the Mass hole form because Zsoc Sec says I have no fright to know how much in SSDI my ex is getting for NY daughter because I’m disabled she lives 30 min from courthouse I live 8 he’s away & am such. Infection in rt are & open wound by my belt line. They sat only a judge cab change it & they identified it way bac k they had evidence supporting NY claim but they nor SIC SEc will help out a disabled pe4son masshile state guidelines are lies & full if SGIT!! They are all for the woman & scree us over royalty & soc security does the same!! Screws the guy & protects the woman! U can’t afford a lawyer & it blows she’s scanning the system lying & breaking state & fed laws & u can’t do nothing accept due

  3. James S.

    I recently found out that I owed back SSDI, in the amount of $17,000 dollars. If I owe this, I will be glad to pay it back. My question is will they let me make payments. Right now I have nothing, and if they take all of my monthly checks I will be left with nothing. How do they handel this type of matter, and how long will it take to get an answer to if they will let me make payments?
    Thank You

    • Ray F.

      Thanks for following up on this important matter, James. To request “partial withholding of your benefits” to repay the overpayment, you will have to contact your local office as soon as possible or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, but you will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.

  4. Douglass B.

    In all shapes and sizes. Find the perfect fit for your outdoor storage needs.

  5. Maureen T.

    Do you think that with all this SS PR our politicians will back off trying to reduce benefits?

  6. Jim C.

    Social Security has simplified my life for me. As I’m in my 6th month waiting for my backpay from disability, I’m now homeless ,I have no way to cook so ear what I can about every 3rd day my supplimental settlement was put in escrow for a home purchase as to not squander that money. I did ask how long til I received the other, and was given # of day range. No that we’ve exceeded that date range,my escrow money is now lost. After explaining this situation to local and national offices their best response is “contact us if you don’t hear from us within the next 30 to 60 days. I just read an article how all federal agencies are working together to end all veteran homelessnes. It appears to not be the case. It seems they are willing to let us die so they don’t have to pay us. Been trying to get my benefits since 2007

    • Ray F.

      Jim, if you are a veteran, let us first, thank you for your service to our country. We are sorry to hear of the inconveniences that you’re having. Unfortunately, but for your security, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.

  7. Adrian F.

    My wife died five years ago, I received benefits from Social Security, but immediately when I reached the age of 65, those benefits were stopped without any explanation …. what I need to do?

    • Ray F.

      for your security we do not have access to information about your account on this blog. Please contact your local office directly or call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for immediate assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.

  8. eliedith

    please reply to my question
    my husband was born in 1950
    he will retire in 2016 at age 66
    can he get full benefits on his 66st bday or must he wait until 66 1/2?

  9. S T.

    How does anyone get the idea that these blog articles are opportunities to request personal assistance? These comments should be comments on the blog entry, not personal life stories or requests for help.
    If you need help, contact Social Security or your Representative in Congress.

    • Chohaan

      As though they listen or care. I was disabeled as a Pilot & declared disabeled in 2005. When I turned 65, my disability turned into retirement. With same pay. I dont get it as I can neither fly or do any other job as I am mostly bed riden. WHO CARES.

      • Ray F.

        You’re right Chohaan, when you reached your full retirement age, we automatically converted your disability benefits to retirement benefits. We do not base your Social Security benefit amount on the severity of your disability. We base it on your average lifetime earnings before your disability began.
        Disability payments are established at the highest rate possible, and we used the highest years of your earnings to calculate your monthly benefit amount.

        • R. A.

          quit raising the full retirement age so we can reach a portion of it

    • R. A.

      you will get the same response

  10. carlos j.

    i need my sspension here in the philippines.thank you.

    carlos j repolidon

    • Ray F.

      Hi Carlos. Because you live outside of the United States, it’s best to contact your local U. S. Embassy or Consulate to apply for your benefits, or if you already receive Social Security benefits, to report your new address in the Philippines.

Comments are closed.