Online Services

Replace Your Social Security Card Online

May 2, 2019 • By

" "Need to replace your lost or misplaced Social Security card? If you live in a qualifying state, our online application makes getting a replacement card easier than ever. There’s no need to sit in traffic or visit a local office or Card Center.

As long as you’re only requesting a replacement card, and no other changes, you can use our free online service from the comfort of your home or office. All you need to do is create a my Social Security account.

Your identity and personal information matter to us. We protect your information by using strict identity verification and security features. The application process has built-in features to detect fraud and confirm your identity. Once you have a personal account, simply follow the instructions to replace your Social Security card.

In many cases, even if you lost your card, you may not need a replacement. Most of the time, simply knowing your Social Security number is enough. Visit our website to find out whether you can request your replacement Social Security card online or what the requirements are in your area on our website.

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Comments

1. Yolanda M Farley

I tried to create my account and once I answered all of the questions the site said it could not verify my identity. Why?

Hi, Yolanda. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. If you are still unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your personal my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

• Randy C Kitner

lost social securty card

2. Lawanda Gray

Its not working for me , its telling me the website is having issues.

3. PAM REESOR

WHERE DO I MAIL MY APPLICATION FOR A NEW SOCIAL SECURITY CARD?

4. Thomas G Freeman

This is bogus I went to the damn my card thingy and all I get is we cannot verified its u so something is wrong I got my card plenty of times before but this is a shit online thing so damn difficult piece of shit

• Rob

Same here

• Jolyn D Jacobs

I have to wait because something is suspended. Bogus help!!

5. mark

Thanks for Sharing!!

6. Carlton Edley

i was told that there is no cost for a first time replacement card pls advise

Hi Carlton, thank you for using our blog to ask your question. It’s free to get a Social Security card. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on obtaining a replacement card. We hope this helps.

7. Amran

I tried applying for a replacement SS card online. It say’s they’ll need my original Certificate of Naturalization and Driver’s License.
    I do not feel confident sending the original documents. Also, how am I gonna drive around without my DL?
    My SS card is tattered and worn that’s why I want a replacement.

Please advice.

Hi Amran, thank you for your question. First, realize you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page on how to apply for a replacement Social Security card. If you cannot apply for a card online, you will need to show the required documents. If you do not want to mail in your documents, which will be returned, you may need to wait for the offices to reopen. Use our Social Security Office Locator to find your local office address. We hope this helps.

• Terrence R Kiplinger

Tell that to the DMV. I need my replacement card to update expired ID. It says my SS info can’t be verified. Please help. What address is used for my SS address?

8. Terrence R Kiplinger

Hi. Why do I get a can’t verify message? What is the problem? Please explain. This is important re stimulus check. I don’t have a phone in my name. What address is my SS # connected to? I should not have call SS office. Please explain exactly what is tied to my SS #. Thank you in advance.

9. Benjamin C Brown

I need a replacement. Card

Hi Benjamin, thank you for your question. First, realize you may not need a replacement card. You will rarely need to show it. Knowing your Social Security number is what is important. However, if you must get a replacement card, you may be able to apply online. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to apply for a replacement Social Security card. If you are unable to apply online and you do not want to mail in your documents, which will be returned, you may need to wait for the offices to reopen. Use our Social Security Office Locator to find your local office address. We hope this helps.

10. Wendy M Kalland

Apparently unemployment needs my card to verify my identity. However, I all have is the stub from the original card. Why am I not able to request a replacement online. They say I need to go to the local office, but oh yes, they are closed due to Covid, and they want my ORIGINAL driver’s license to do it. That would leave me with no legal way to drive.
    Is there a reason I can’t apply online? I am an HR professional and have had new hires go online and request a card numerous times. They had no problem.