General, Online Services

Receive Social Security Benefits? Keep Your Address Up-to-Date with my Social Security

April 8, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

" "Keeping your address up to date with a my Social Security account helps us mail your important documents to the correct place. If you receive benefits, you can use my Social Security to update your address. If you’ve moved recently, updating your information sooner rather than later will help us deliver important documents to you, including:

  • Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099);
  • Important notices; and
  • Your Medicare card when you first enroll or if you need a replacement.

Even if you get your benefits by direct deposit, Social Security must have your correct address so we can send letters and other important information to you.

If you don’t have a my Social Security account already, you can open one today. This is the easiest way for you to keep your information up to date. Within minutes you’ll have access to your personal information as well as control over important documents like your Benefit Statement (SSA-1099), which can be replaced if you lose it.

While you’re there, you can also check to see if your earnings record is correct. Social Security keeps a record of how much you’ve made so that you get the benefits you deserve. We can only pay you your correct benefit if your records are correct.

Putting you in control of your future is a key part of securing today and tomorrow, and having your correct mailing address helps us get important documents and payments to you. With my Social Security, we help you receive the information you need, when you need it. Open or access your safe and secure account today.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. Timothy W.

    I don’t have the option to change my address in my profile, it says to contact us. I receive both Social Security Disability and Medicare and yet I had to call and wait on hold several minutes to update my address. And now I’ll have to call and wait again because my residential address and mailing address(which are both the same) have not been updated in my profile. Why do we have three different addresses when ,for most people, they’re all the same? And why when we call to update our address all three are not changed? And why can’t I change mine online? Doesn’t make sense.

  2. De

    Can someone receive social security if they are a citizen living abroad?

  3. Cornell G.

    what social security address can a person use to send over payments to.

  4. Christopher P.

    What if you have a foreign address? Can you use a relatives U.S. address for a MY Social Security account?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Christopher. Thanks for your question. You must have a U.S. mailing address to establish a personal my Social Security account. However, you can contact your local Federal Benefits Unit for any assistance related to Social Security benefits. Also, our Office of International Operations home page provides more information to assist our customers living abroad. We hope this helps.

  5. Patrick

    My question is similar to Elvira’s unanswered question of 12/13/19.

    My mother recently moved. She notified SS of her new address and her new bank account number for direct deposits. SS has that info in her record. The earliest would allow her to schedule a change in her direct deposit was March.

    Meanwhile, her old bank account where she previously received her direct deposits unfortunately had to be closed. It’s my understanding that when SS is unable to deposit her February payment into her old, closed account, they will reissue a check to her postal address on file, which is fine.

    She’s okay with the February payment being mailed to her new postal address OR being paid into her new bank account, both of which, as I said, SS has on file.

    My question: Is there anything else she can do right now to communicate to SS that her old account is closed and that she would like her February payment sent to her home or new bank account? She would like to make sure that happens in a timely manner and she doesn’t want to have to chase that payment down in limbo. e.g., Could she send a letter or email to SS? (That would be much preferable to having to go to an SS office or call). If so, which address?

    Thank you for your assistance.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Patrick. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. It might be best for your mother to call or visit her local Social Security office for further assistance. We hope this helps.

  6. Elvira K.

    Can I have my Social Security check mailed to my house instead of my checking account what do I need to do to change it for my January payment

    • Ann C.

      Hi. Elvira. Thanks for the question. As of March 1, 2013, if you receive your benefits by paper check, you are out of compliance with the law. If you cancel your direct deposit, Social Security will send you a paper check if you meet one of the exceptions. The Treasury Department will grant exceptions to the rule only in rare circumstances. Check recipients living in remote areas without sufficient banking infrastructure may apply for a waiver, as well as check recipients for whom electronic payments would impose a hardship due to a mental impairment. Automatic waivers are granted to people born on or before May 1, 1921, and people who qualify for this waiver do not need to submit an application.

      For more information or to request a waiver, call 855-290-1545 or visit here. We hope this helps.

  7. Maria A.

    are payments made via checks, do you offer a card to the recipients, or is the recipients having a bank account for direct deposit required

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Maria. Thanks for your question. If you already receive Social Security or SSI benefits and you have a bank account, you can sign up for Direct Deposit by:
      starting or changing Direct Deposit online (Social Security benefits only), or
      •contacting your bank, credit union or savings and loan association, or
      •calling Social Security toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). For more information, visit here. We hope this helps.

  8. bruce d.

    where is my payment for my ssi and ssdi payments i haven’t received my payment for my ssdi which is $335 for december
    and the $1469.00 that u said i would be getting for my back payment for septeber i haven’t received yet so when do u think i will receive it

  9. Robert y.

    I called to change the address of my direct deposit,

  10. Reginald C.

    I received a 2nd notice to fill out and send a SSA questionnaire (7162?). I replied to the first notice the week of June 17th, 2019. Now you threaten to stop my benefit payments if you don’t receive this new questionnaire. There is no contact information on your letter where I can confirm with you that you received this questionnaire. Please send me contact details where I can call or write to confirm you received it.

    • Michael

      You may have to send the second notice via EMS postal service with tracking system to ensure delivery to SSA. Regular snail mail does not guarantee delivery and has no tracking system. SSA will not give us (expats) contact info to confirm anything. All they will say is to contact the Federal Benefits Unit of the US Embassy.

      • Reg F.

        Thank you very very much for your prompt reply.
        I will contact the Federal Benefits Unit.

        Reg Fulton

    • Luis A.

      Hi Reginald. For your security, we do not have access to personal information in this venue. Since you are living outside of the U.S., please contact your local Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) for assistance. We hope this is resolved soon.

Comments are closed.