General, Online Services

Receive Social Security Benefits? Keep Your Address Up-to-Date with my Social Security

April 8, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

" "Keeping your address up to date with a my Social Security account helps us mail your important documents to the correct place. If you receive benefits, you can use my Social Security to update your address. If you’ve moved recently, updating your information sooner rather than later will help us deliver important documents to you, including:

  • Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099);
  • Important notices; and
  • Your Medicare card when you first enroll or if you need a replacement.

Even if you get your benefits by direct deposit, Social Security must have your correct address so we can send letters and other important information to you.

If you don’t have a my Social Security account already, you can open one today. This is the easiest way for you to keep your information up to date. Within minutes you’ll have access to your personal information as well as control over important documents like your Benefit Statement (SSA-1099), which can be replaced if you lose it.

While you’re there, you can also check to see if your earnings record is correct. Social Security keeps a record of how much you’ve made so that you get the benefits you deserve. We can only pay you your correct benefit if your records are correct.

Putting you in control of your future is a key part of securing today and tomorrow, and having your correct mailing address helps us get important documents and payments to you. With my Social Security, we help you receive the information you need, when you need it. Open or access your safe and secure account today.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. Doris M.

    I have taken up permanent residency in Mexico. Presently my Soc.Sec. Check is deposited in my USA bank and I am able to write a check to transfer money to an account here. Is there another option?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Doris. Thank you for your question. If you live outside the United States, unless a payment restriction applies, we can deposit your benefits into your account at a financial institution in any country that has an international direct deposit agreement with the United States. keep in mind that even when you get your Social Security payments by direct deposit, you must let us know your residence address. To find out which countries qualify, go to: Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States. We hope this helps.

  2. Varley M.

    I am Conservator and Guardian (appointed by court) of my 100 year old friend. She has moved from her long time resident to a memory care facility. How can I get the change of address to you? I cannot do an on line account for her and she is unable to do one.

    • John

      Apply to be her payee.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Valery. Thanks for your question. If you are her representative payee, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. You can also call or visit your local Social Security office. If you are not her representative payee, you may be interested in applying to become her representative payee. As a representative payee, you will have access to your friends’s records and the ability to update her account information.
      A face-to-face interview is required when applying to be someone’s representative payee. If your friend cannot be present, a statement from her doctor would be helpful. The statement should say that your friend is not able to mentally and physically manage her Social Security benefits and identify you as the person responsible to keep her finances in order. We hope this helps.

  3. Tina B.

    I thought my comment had been posted, but I don’t see it here. I was wondering if any documents that are mailed via USPS can be emailed instead for those who are retired and living fulltime in their RV?

  4. Tina B.

    Hello – can all documents be emailed instead, for those who may be living full time in their RV?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Tina. For your security, we do not email notices. Thanks!

  5. Greg L.

    Thank you all so much for such wonderful and informative articles. (BUT), I am retired American and been living overseas (Guatemala) for 26 yrs now, because I, (UNFORTUNATELY) can not afford to be able to live in the USA. What makes matters worse is: 1. You will not let us overseas people create on SSA ONLINE ACCOUNT. 2. Guatemala Congress terminated the Postal Services 2 years ago, therefore, I can not receive any kind of mail. 3. SSA moved all Social Security a activities from the American Embassy here to Costa Rica. 4. Costa Rica will (not) answer there telephone numbers. 5. When emails are sent there, they don’t send a response. 6. I can not see: How, I can receive my new MEDICARE CARD. 7. On various occations in the past few years, I tried many times to call the SSA in the U SA at your published tel #, but on hold while calling from overseas feom 45 min to 1 1/2 hrs. It’s just to expensive and exhausting. So, what’s the solution to all these short comings for the overseas people. It will be wonderful to hear a response. Thank you so much.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Greg. We are sorry to hear about your experience. We have referred your concerns to our Office of Operations to follow up and to take corrective action as necessary. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. Since you live outside of the U.S. we ask you to continue to work with your local Federal Benefits Unit. Keep in mind, Medicare generally does not cover health care while you are outside the United States. Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands are considered part of the United States. To learn more about Medicare coverage outside of the United States, visit Medicare’s website here. We hope this is resolved soon.

  6. djamel k.

    Yes I need your assistance for my security social,
    Thank you very much
    Djamel Karoual Christian

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Djamel. Through our Blog, we respond to questions and provide general information on our Retirement, Survivors, Disability, Medicare and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) programs. If you have a general question, we encourage you to ask it here. But remember, never post personal information on social media. Thanks.

  7. Betty i.

    You should’ve stated that Medicare sent the cards one year ago versus the way you had it phrased. It sounded like they were coming. Thank you

  8. Esperanza F.

    I’m homeless & currently looking for a place waiting for my next check so I can afford to rent a P O Box I will notify your office ASAP once I have a Post Office Box. Thank you for your assistance.

    • John

      Get direct deposit.

  9. John J.

    Old Address:
    1731 Oak Knoll Rd., San Jacinto, CA 92583

    New Address: eff 5/1/2019
    410 True Hickory Dr., Greece, NY 14615

    • Tina B.

      You may want to delete your comment and leave your new address on your account so only SSA can see it. Everyone who reads this article and can read the comments know where you live, and that might not be a good idea.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, John. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. If you are receiving Social Security retirement or disability, you can create a personal my Social Security account to change your address online. If you are receiving Supplemental Security Income, you should contact your local office immediately. Just a reminder – please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. We hope this helps.

  10. charles a.

    I hope Wells Fargo Bank was able to change the account that my SS was being deposited into.
    Thank you

Comments are closed.