If We Denied Your Application, You Can Appeal Online

July 18, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: July 18, 2016

q markSocial Security offers you many options to conduct business with us online. Far gone are the days when you needed to visit our offices or call us on the phone to appeal a denial of your disability benefits. Now you can file an appeal online, even if you live outside of the United States!

The online appeals application is simple, convenient, and secure, guiding you through every step of the process. From outlining your rights to an appeal, to publications on the appeals process, a fair review of your Social Security case is right at your fingertips. The online application even allows you to upload supporting documentation, like treatments, doctors, and medical reports, as well as an option to save your submissions.

Submitting all the necessary documents will save time and can help return a faster decision. Here are some things you’ll need when ready to submit an appeal:

  • Doctors, hospitals, medical treatments, and tests since you last gave us medical information;
  • Medicines you are currently taking; and
  • Changes in your medical conditions, daily activities, work, and education.

You can learn more about our appeals process by reading our publication Your Right To Question The Decision Made On Your Claim.

Social Security is constantly looking for ways to make our services accessible and readily available when you need them. It’s part of our commitment to delivering world-class service to you and providing you with more options, like an online appeal, to conduct your Social Security business.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. daniel p.

    ssi denies everyone not even wroth applying its total bull shit

  2. Shanna K.

    Why am I denied an account o line

    • Luis A.

      Hi Shanna. If you are still unable to create your account or encounter another problem with your personal my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “help desk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  3. Christine L.

    I want to come in to have my ss card replaced

  4. Angela_Okc

    I have been denied MY SSDI . I was told to expect a denial. I am still floored. I meet “The Book” definition for PTSD and have multiple physical deteriorating conditions. Somehow SS has decided I am magically going to get better? I have battled my mental illness since I was 6 years old. Yes 6 years old, from horrific abuse allowed by my mother by her husband. So horrible I will not describe the long term abuse here, I also cannot sit or stand for more than 5 minutes or my feet go numb & the pain in my back starts screaming. My neck is a crumbling mess. I do not have full use of my hands because of nerve compression. I cannot swallow food or water without choking. I have a well documented history of all of my conditions. None of which are going to improve or go away. I’m in pain management because surgery will not fix my neck or back. I even have rare medical evidence of brain damage from long term PTSD, I am on medications which cause side effects that mess with my memory. I have cervical migraines which I have to just ride out, pain meds don’t help. I’m already on a strong pain med that is closely monitored and cannot be combined with anything other than something I would have to get at an ER. I won’t go to the ER. My medical bills would be even worse, There is not a company out there that would give allowances I would need even for part-time work. I cannot drive more than a few minutes from my house or my feet go numb so that sets off an anxiety attack. I don’t drive because I feel I am a danger to myself and others. I spend my days in an adjustable bed talking to myself for HOURS. It is compulsive, I cannot help the obsessive thoughts or flashbacks. I am over 50 and my SS work history goes back to my teens. I have paid into a system that is supposed to be there when I need and now they want to drag me through the coals to get my benefits. It’s cruel. I have mentally and physically deteriorated faster because of the stress caused by this process. The exam by their phsyc doc brought up memories I packed away long ago so now I have flashbacks every day & night.
    I read a study that shows the death rate for those waiting for SSDI is higher than the national average. Big surprise right? Where is the compassion in that?
    I won’t give up. That is what “they” want us to do. I can’t. I do not have any other option. No one will hire & keep someone like me.
    It has taken me almost 2 hours to type this, so no typist jobs for me. This is a horrid, cruel process.

  5. TRICIA W.

    how can i appeal my ssi claim? can i do it online? or do i have to write ,and if so where do i write to? ty

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Tricia. Good news! You can file an appeal online by visiting our Appeal A Decision web page. You can also file an appeal by calling our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or contacting your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  6. ee h.

    Wow! Thank you! I constantly wanted to write on my site something like that. Can I implement a portion of your post to my blog?


  7. Sandra R.

    I am writing for my son who has had massive problems since moving to Nevada from Indiana. He went into the SS office JUST to change his address. He was then notified they have to review his case, but was on disability for quite a few years as he was born without arms and legs. He filed an appeal since it’s obvious he’s disabled and the Administrative Judge didn’t show up and his benefits were terminated. The letter stated he is not disabled under your criteria of disability. If you give people disability based on depression (like my neighbor) then I would think a person born without limbs pretty much categorizes a definite disability. What can be done as he is at a total loss right now?

  8. James J.


    • Ann C.

      Hi, James. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask our members in our Blog community to work with their local office with specific questions about their case. You can also call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the day. We hope this helps.

  9. Alana W.

    How can I find a list of the lawyers in Iowa who will assess me with my appeal.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Alana. Many people handle their own appeals. A representative familiar with Social Security’s programs can provide a valuable service to you. However, the decision whether or not to seek the services of a representative (attorney or other qualified person) is up to you. More information about representatives can be found in our publication, “Your Right to Representation.” If you need help requesting a review, contact your local Social Security office or call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the day. We hope this helps!

  10. Ben B.

    I have been waiting for a hearing date a disability claim denial since May 2018. The website does not give any updates, for example a time line on when a date will be set or anything. There is no email address to ask for a time estimate on when a hearing will date will be set. The website could afford to be more helpful, since that is where SSA website, phone #’s, etc. directs to sign on to get info on your claim. 7 months an counting, same thing on. No updates, no way to ask for more info. Horrible service.

Comments are closed.