If We Denied Your Application, You Can Appeal Online

July 18, 2016 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: July 18, 2016

q markSocial Security offers you many options to conduct business with us online. Far gone are the days when you needed to visit our offices or call us on the phone to appeal a denial of your disability benefits. Now you can file an appeal online, even if you live outside of the United States!

The online appeals application is simple, convenient, and secure, guiding you through every step of the process. From outlining your rights to an appeal, to publications on the appeals process, a fair review of your Social Security case is right at your fingertips. The online application even allows you to upload supporting documentation, like treatments, doctors, and medical reports, as well as an option to save your submissions.

Submitting all the necessary documents will save time and can help return a faster decision. Here are some things you’ll need when ready to submit an appeal:

  • Doctors, hospitals, medical treatments, and tests since you last gave us medical information;
  • Medicines you are currently taking; and
  • Changes in your medical conditions, daily activities, work, and education.

You can learn more about our appeals process by reading our publication Your Right To Question The Decision Made On Your Claim.

Social Security is constantly looking for ways to make our services accessible and readily available when you need them. It’s part of our commitment to delivering world-class service to you and providing you with more options, like an online appeal, to conduct your Social Security business.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Cathy M.

    Comfortably, the article is in reality the sweetest on this deserving topic. I harmonize with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantastic clarity in your writing. I will directly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Genuine work and much success in your business enterprise!


  2. Lila A.

    My monthly amount is 339.50 and you deduct 122.50 for Medicare and you say I will receive 197.00. I don’t think that is right.

    • Ray F.

      Hello Lila. Unfortunately, and because of security reasons we do not have access to personal records in this blog and cannot answer your question at this time. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with an explanation. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  3. vidiohd

    It’s onerous to search out educated individuals on this topic, but you sound like you recognize what you’re speaking about! Thanks


  4. Jiaqi L.

    My name is Jiaqi Liu and I am here for help. I am an international student that just graduate. I submit my application of social security number within the same application of employment authority. I received my EAD card in August, but not my SSN. I visited SSA several times and figure out the reason.

    There is another female called Jiaqi Liu who has the same birthdate as mine already has a SSN. So every time when I submit my application, it was denied due to mistaking me as her. I have been waiting for two months and still been denied. But I really need to work!

    Please indicate what could I do.

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for any inconveniences. Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog.
      Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the office manager to see how we can help expedite resolution of your situation. Thanks!

  5. Richard D.

    I filed an appeal to my denial to renew mt extra help for my medicare. I was made and appointment for my state appeals hearing but was, at the last minute, unable to keep the appointment. How do I reschedule a hearing?

  6. John S.

    For the second time in less than a Day, I have been denied to join your Online system, can’t figure it out, please reply!

    • Ray F.

      Hello John, if you are unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Thanks!

  7. Jessie L.

    I would like a copy of my denial letter

  8. Susan E.

    I to appeal or at least relate my information, but it asks for my recent letter, and I only got one letter and that was in April.I was told by a gentlemen in Hibbing, MN three days ago that they would increase the amount they are deducting to 127.00 and when I called today the lady said I would get nothing in august and asked if I read the July letter. I didn’t get a July letter, only the one in April that I responded to immediately and the decision was to deduct 75 from each check. She said I get nothing in August because I did not respond to the July letter that I didn’t even get. How can this be rectified. Sort of flabbergasted when I went to the bank on the 8th and nothing. I will be happy to have whatever deducted each month, as long as I get some check.

    • Ray F.

      Hello Susan. Unfortunately, for security reasons, we do not have access to information about your account in this venue. If you’re trying to request “partial withholding of your benefits” to repay an overpayment, you will have to contact your local office as soon as possible or call our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. Ask one of our agents to assist you with this matter. Representatives are available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, but you will generally have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week.
      We hope this information helps!

      Please contact your local office or call 1-800-772-1213, M-F between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and ask a representative to assist you. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.

  9. thomas a.

    what is the law on timely decisions for cases seeking back pay: 12months, 13months, or 18months. and does the fact you are already receiving benefits help your case. If not can you explain why not?

    • Ray F.

      Hello Thomas. We can allow retroactivity payments up to 12 months for disability claims. However, retroactivity cannot be before the claimant’s date of disability onset or the 5-month waiting period. We generally allow up to six months of retroactivity payments, for retirement and survivor’s claims. No retroactive benefits are payable for any month before individuals reach their full retirement age.
      Please call our toll free number for further assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

  10. Adolfo S.

    of course like your web site however you have to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to inform the reality however I’ll surely come back again.

Comments are closed.