Online Services, Taxes

Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement

January 30, 2020 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

" "Tax season is approaching, and we have made replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier. The Benefit Statement, also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S, is a tax form we mail each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from us in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return.

If you live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and get an instant, printable replacement form using your personal my Social Security account. A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you already have a personal my Social Security account, you can log in to your account to view and print your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document to your computer or email it to yourself. If you don’t have a personal my Social Security account, creating one is very easy to do and usually takes less than 10 minutes.

If you’re a non-citizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S in the mail. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

With a personal my Social Security account, you can do much of your business with us online. If you receive benefits or have Medicare, your personal my Social Security account is also the best way to:

  • Request a replacement Social Security number card (in most states and the District of Columbia).
  • Get your benefit verification letter.
  • Check your benefit and payment information.
  • Change your address and phone number.
  • Change your direct deposit information.
  • Request a replacement Medicare card.
  • Report your wages if you work and receive Social Security disability insurance or SSI benefits.

Visit our website to find more about our online services.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. MARIA F.

    I need a copy of my deceased mom’s SSA-1099 FORM

  2. Geneivive P.

    I am blocked out of my account ( password). Worked ok last time! Anyway, even though I have an account online, will my 2019 tax info still be mailed out, as well?

  3. Karen J.

    Last year I tried to obtain a 1099. I contacted your office 5 times at least and each time was told I was not due any benefits and would not get a form. I knew this was incorrect, but could not convince anyone at SS that this was not the fact. As I get benefits, but they are all taken to pay my medicare. I should know as I worked for SSA for 40 yrs. Well I filed my taxes and guess what, After I filed on April 20 I received an amended 1099. Surprise! I was not a happy camper and do not wish this to happen again.

  4. Gary H.

    I tried to set up my account but was told they could not set up my SS number and I wasn’t sure why?

  5. XCarol S.

    I need my home address changed from 1371 Colt Circle, Castle Rock, CO 80109 to 1744 Granger Circle, Castle Rock, CO 80109. I called your 1-800 number and was told the wait would be 32 minutes! I really can’t sit with the telephone up to my ear for 32 minutes. Please have someone either call me at 303-814-2734 or send me an email saying my address has been changed.


    I am a victim of identity theft and they all have my SSD Benefits & I need help with getting my SSD back to my address is9 Woodridge Ct, Huntington WV 25705! And please send me something that would let me know who’s doing what with them ! Thank you sooo much for all your help and understanding what I am doing through! Have a blessed day! Cynthia J Rogers

  7. Carol C.

    I did not receive my yearly benefit statement of social security.

  8. test t.


  9. JOAN K.


  10. Norma E.

    I love getting the SSA news letter, Alerts and SSS information. Keep up the great work!

Comments are closed.