Online Services, Taxes

Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement

January 30, 2020 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: July 16, 2021

" "Tax season is approaching, and we have made replacing your annual Benefit Statement even easier. The Benefit Statement, also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S, is a tax form we mail each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from us in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return.

If you live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and get an instant, printable replacement form using your personal my Social Security account. A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you already have a personal my Social Security account, you can log in to your account to view and print your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S. If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document to your computer or email it to yourself. If you don’t have a personal my Social Security account, creating one is very easy to do and usually takes less than 10 minutes.

If you’re a non-citizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S in the mail. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits.

With a personal my Social Security account, you can do much of your business with us online. If you receive benefits or have Medicare, your personal my Social Security account is also the best way to:

  • Request a replacement Social Security number card (in most states and the District of Columbia).
  • Get your benefit verification letter.
  • Check your benefit and payment information.
  • Change your address and phone number.
  • Change your direct deposit information.
  • Request a replacement Medicare card.
  • Report your wages if you work and receive Social Security disability insurance or SSI benefits.

Visit our website to find more about our online services.

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Mike Korbey, Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Mark

    Seems to me paying taxes on income derived from an already taxed source is double taxation. I was taught since jr. High school you cant be taxed on something that was already a tax.

    • Prc

      You were never taxed on the amount you and your employer put into social security. The amount of your social security that is taxed depends on you income. It ranges from zero tax liability up to having 85% of it taxed.

      • DLM

        Seems your High School teacher may have been confused.. Case in point, US Military pay.. First of all, all members of the US Military pay income, Fica, and Medicare taxes, Unless they are in a designated combat zone or other “excusion” zones.

        The entire Military Budget, is based on Tax Dollars, and Service Members are paid from these tax dollars, who then pay their taxes (Fed, Fica, Mediare) based on the annual income from those tax dollars..

        So, Service members pay taxes on the income they earned, from taxes paid, that are the Defense Budget.

  2. Raymond G.

    I am presently living in the Philippines and would like a copy of SSA -1099 for 2019 emailed to me. I cannot secure Social Security account according to your policy of not residing in the US. I tried opening an account in my permanent residence in the US. but could not as I have no W 2 1099 or credit card. Is there anything I can do<

  3. Cynthia M.

    I just want to file My social security tax for 2019. I need my social security account ?

  4. Robert G.

    Please change address for: Robert G. Martin and Rita I. Martin. From 1436 S. Prairie Ave. Chicago- Illinois. Unit A to 4885 E. Placita Tres Vidas Tucson Arizona 85718 – now and use Tucson address from now on. Jan. 30, 2020. Thanks. 520 299 9755.

  5. James A.

    I am moving back to USA. Please send my SSI- 1099 statement to following address:
    James A. Glaim
    605 Laurel St. Apt. 7
    Brainerd, MN. 56401

  6. Reggie

    It’s a great thing that you are doing to make accessing our information easier. Thank you

  7. David L.

    I have tried numerous times to log in and it will not go through and I ask each time for the code and never received one yet

  8. stameyc


    What if you don’t have a computer and/or internet access?

    • Karen O.

      Go to your local library. It’s free

    • Prc

      How did you read this and leave your comment? Guess you have internet access.

  9. claire c.

    i turn 70 in april how soon do i apply for my full
    retirement SSI i have been paying my own medicare.

    • Karen O.

      You should have been able to get that by now

  10. Akbar B.

    I have my social Security account. I would like to put stop on paper statement and get my annual statement on line. I appreciate your help to guide me how I can achieve this.

Comments are closed.