Get a Replacement Social Security Tax Form Online With Ease

February 1, 2018 • By

man and woman on laptop It’s that time of year again. Preparing for tax season can seem overwhelming. Some forms and paperwork might be difficult to track down. If you misplaced your Benefits Statement or haven’t received it by the end of January, we’ve made it easy to go online to get a replacement with my Social Security.

An SSA-1099, also called a Benefit Statement, is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January to the more than 60 million people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits received from Social Security in the previous year so people know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on their tax return.

For noncitizens who live outside of the United States and received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we’ll send form SSA-1042S instead. The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

If you currently live in the United States and need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, we have a way for you to get a replacement quickly and easily. Go online and get a replacement form with a my Social Security account.

Every worker in the United States should create a my Social Security account. The secure and personalized features of my Social Security are valuable tools to help Americans plan for retirement.

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author


Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment.

  1. barbara holmes

    I will be 75 in Dec 2020 and would like to sell a rental property. Will this effect my SS

    • Vonda VanTil, Public Affairs Specialist

      Hi Barbara, thank you for your question. Sale of property does not affect or reduce Social Security retirement and disability benefits. However, if you’re receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), the additional income could affect your SSI benefits and must be reported.

      In addition, to determine if you’ll pay higher Medicare premiums, Social Security uses the most recent federal tax return the IRS provides to us. If you must pay higher premiums, we use a sliding scale to make the adjustments, based on your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI). Your MAGI is your total adjusted gross income and tax-exempt interest income.

  2. Irene Santangelo

    I would like to increase the tax I pay monthly on my Social Security check. How do I do that>>>

    • Vonda

      Thank you for your question, Irene. To change withholding, you can download the form or call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-3676 and ask for Form W-4V. When you complete the form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 12, or 22 percent of your monthly benefit withheld for taxes. Mail the completed, signed form to your local Social Security office. Use our Social Security Office Locator to obtain their mailing address.

      Check out our Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits web page for more information. We hope this is helpful!

  3. Illona Turner

    Will my social security amount change if I move to another state?

    • Sue

      Hi, Illona. Thanks for reading our blog and for your question. If you receive a federal administered benefit such as Social Security retirement, spouse’s, disability, or survivors benefits, your benefit amount will not change if you move to another state. However, if you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI), your benefit amount might change as some states supplement the federal benefit rate with an additional amount. If you receive Social Security, be sure to change your address using your my Social Security account. If you cannot change your address online, call 1-800-772-1213 or your local office. You’ll find the phone number with the Office Locator. We hope this is helpful.

  4. Simon Obeng-Kyeremeh

    I need to make an amendment for my 2018 SS Returns. How can I find it in order to print it for this 2018 amendment? Thank you.

    • Vonda

      Hi Simon, thanks for using our blog. If you’re asking about a replacement SSA-1099 for 2018, you will need to call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can call your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.


Leave a Comment

Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment. For your safety, please do not post Personally Identifiable Information (such as your Social Security Number, address, phone number, email address, bank account number, or birthdate) on our blog.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *