Get Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099)

March 14, 2019 • By

Now that it’s tax season, you might be gathering all of your forms and documentation from the previous year. Sometimes getting all that material together — receipts for donations, business expenses, and travel — can be overwhelming. And losing one vital piece can take up time that you might not be able to spare.

The Social Security 1099 (SSA-1099) or Benefit Statement is a tax form Social Security mails each year in January. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year, so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return. Luckily, Social Security has you covered. If you live in the United States and you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S tax form, simply go online and get an instant, printable copy of your form with a my Social Security account.

A Social Security1042S (SSA-1042S) is for a noncitizen who lives outside the United States and received or repaid Social Security benefits last year.

If you have a question, want help finding the information you need, or just can’t figure out how to do something online, another way to get in touch with us is by calling our toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. We provide an automated service option to handle some business, but you can also speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call our toll-free TTY number, 1-800-325-0778, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

Tax season can be a stressful time for some, but we’ve tried to make it easier for you. Remember to share this information with friends and family. If you need a copy of your SSA-1099 or 1042S, go online and get a replacement form with a my Social Security account.

See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment.

  1. sherry warrenlew

    i just received my ssa-1099 for 2020 in the mail. i receive ssi disablity and the amount in box 5 wrong by over 22k. i dont have taxes taken out it is reporting i paid and i dont have medicare and northing is taken out of my check but again they are reposrting i do.

    help……i get nowhere on the phone and i want to file my taxes

    who do i call or contact to get it corrected

    • Vonda

      Hi Sherry, thank you for using our blog. You can call your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  2. Linda Lambert

    My Social Security benefits all go to pay part of my medicare coverage. Will I get a tax form1099R for my Social Security benefits?
    Are payments out of pocket for medicare coverage tax deductable?

  3. Marianne Magill

    When will I receive my SSA 1099 statement for 2020? Had to cancel my appt with H & R Block. Need refund to pay school tax and water and sewer bills.

  4. Judy Koeber

    We received the 2020 SSA-1099-sm for my mother in law who has passed away. The SSA-1099-sm is wrong (too big) by one month because it doesn’t reflect the December 9, 2020 reversal of a December 1, 2020 bank deposit.

    Her 2020 SSA-1099-sm should reflect only eleven months of social security benefits received but it incorrectly shows twelve months of benefits. In order to correctly file the decedents final 1040 individual income tax return, we’d like to request a corrected 1099. How do we do so? Who should we contact?

  5. Michelle W

    We just received my mothers SSA 1099 for 2020. It is way off. She passed in April. She only received 2 months of SS AS THEY TOOK BACK HER March payment and as of to date we still have not received her March payment even after submitting everything SS HAS REQUESTED. THIS IS RIDICULOUS for a government entity to have such gross negligence in resolving this issue and NOW to send us a completely incorrect 1099 by saying she received a few thousand more then she did. I mean when her estate files her taxes it will most certainly benefit the estate but wrong is wrong. How do we request an update correct version. This is extremely concerning something like this would be so incorrect.


Leave a Comment

Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment. For your safety, please do not post Personally Identifiable Information (such as your Social Security Number, address, phone number, email address, bank account number, or birthdate) on our blog.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *