Online Services, SSI

Five Things You Can Do Online with Social Security

November 16, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

smiling woman sitting on her couchYou want to enjoy the fall weather, and Social Security’s online services free up your time to lounge in a hammock in your backyard or take your dog on a long walk. You can safely and conveniently conduct most of your business with us anytime, anywhere. There’s no need to visit a local Social Security office.

When you’re ready to retire, you can do it online in 15 minutes or less. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if any further information is needed.

Applying for Social Security disability benefits has never been easier! The secure site will only ask questions pertaining to your situation, and we provide links to more information. There are examples to help you along the way.

With a my Social Security account, you can also get your Social Security Statement showing how much you paid in Social Security and Medicare taxes through your working years. You can use your Statement to verify your earnings history so that you receive the correct payment amount when you become eligible for benefits. And speaking of your future benefits, your Statement also shows estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors’ benefits.

And, when you need it, you can get a benefit verification letter to prove you receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare. Your personal my Social Security  account also allows you to change your address if you’re already receiving benefits, and to start or change your direct deposit information.

You have all that at your fingertips, and you never had to leave your hammock!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Mary M.

    I am currently collecting benefits from my deceased husband, At this point in time I understand that my benefits are more than his. I am having trouble trying to apply online for my benefits and trying to get a figure of how much I will get 503-508-4205.

  2. Nike A.

    My Mother In-law has been a victim of Identity theft and has had her bank accounts accessed twice, credit cards opened and used in her name & under her Social Security number, so she needs to schedule an appointment asap, in order to start the process of changing her SS number immediately. She is unable to wait in line in person, at her local SS office, and she has already attempted to do so, but due to her disabilities, she was not able to speak with anyone. Can She schedule an appointment to start this process by phone or online? please advise, thank you

  3. FastMeata

    Excellent. Thank you
    Online shopping center:

  4. Juanita s.

    If my birthday is wrong in your files and I try to change it, will my social security check be held back, my husband and I have no ther money but our social security to pay our bills with which is less than 2.000.00 a month

  5. Kimberly S.

    I need to change my phone number. My new phone number is: 567-868-2625. This is my cell phone and the only phone number I have. Please change it in my my Social Security. Thank you!

  6. Thomas G.

    Last week I tried to change my address by calling your 800 customer service #. After waiting in Q for a full hour I spoke to one of your reps and explained what I wanted to do. She asked me for my name and my SS# and the last address they had on file. I gave them my name and # (I know they haven’t changed and gave her the last address the I received my last communication from SS. I gave her my address where I have lived from 2003 to 2014. She said she could not help me because some of the information I gave her does not agree with your records. The irony of all of this is that in Aug. or Sept. of 2014 after we moved to a new address I called your 800 number and successfully changed my SS account address. When that was completed, I asked the lady if my wife could get on and change her own. She agreed and my wife changed hers.

    In Jan of 2015 only my wife received her Form 1099 and that hasn’t changed through and including this spring. So obviously she was successful but I was not on the same phone call. Last week I finally decided to try again. While back in 2014 when we moved I filled out a post office address change to forward our mail to a retail postal box in Bonita Springs which we used for three months until we could get into our new residence in Fort Myers and then made arrangements to again have mail forwarded to our new address. At that time I changed our address with all those who should have our new permanent address, including SS. I have never knowingly changed changed my address (directly and successfully) with Social Security.

    Last week your rep would not confirm what information that I provided was incorrect and advised me that I would have to “go to my local SS office’ and I find that in order to make an appointment I have to call your 800 #. I called and was promised a 48 minute wait. I’ll take my chances in just showing up at this office tomorrow. I’m am writing this so that I can paste my comments and pass them along with my experience so far to my Congressman. I thought he might be interested in what one of his constituents is putting up with in trying to get something as simple as this resolved. I would however be interested in your comments about the “service” I have been provided. Thomas G. Thomson,





  9. Martha B.

    My 22 year old grandson was in a serious car accident. had head injury and broken leg. He’s been told that it will take about 6 months to heal. They had to do surgery and put a rod in the leg. He works for a tree lawn service company and will not be able to work. He also has a 1 year old daughter that he has to support. Is there any compensation for temporary disability for him. I personally am unable to help him, Please advise. Thank You

    • Ray F.

      We are sorry to hear about your grandson’s accident, Martha. The Social Security Act sets out a strict definition for disability. We pay disability benefits to people who are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last one year or more or to end in death. However, if a person thinks that he or she meets our definition of disability, we encourage them to apply for disability benefits when they become disabled.
      Individuals may be eligible to receive social services from the state in which they live. These services include Medicaid, free meals, housekeeping help, transportation or help with other problems. You can get information about services in your area from your state or local social services office. Or you can visit the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) web page for more information.
      We hope this helps!

  10. richare e.

    I can not get into my account. I need to know how much is in the account as I have to sign an apartment lease next month and don’t know if I can sign for a year. My ssn is *** – ** – ***. My email is My home phone with answering machine is 469-442-7779. My cell phone is 469-540-8313. I have to use public library computer which is where I am at now. Please help Please help

    • Ray F.

      Just a reminder – We do not have access to personal information, therefore, we do not do direct messaging in this venue. We cannot check or update any records. Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media and communicating personal information via email.
      If you need assistance related to Social Security benefits, please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

Comments are closed.