Online Services, SSI

Five Things You Can Do Online with Social Security

November 16, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 6, 2023

smiling woman sitting on her couchYou want to enjoy the fall weather, and Social Security’s online services free up your time to lounge in a hammock in your backyard or take your dog on a long walk. You can safely and conveniently conduct most of your business with us anytime, anywhere. There’s no need to visit a local Social Security office.

When you’re ready to retire, you can do it online in 15 minutes or less. In most cases, once your application is submitted electronically, you’re done. There are no forms to sign and usually no documentation is required. Social Security will process your application and contact you if any further information is needed.

Applying for Social Security disability benefits has never been easier! The secure site will only ask questions pertaining to your situation, and we provide links to more information. There are examples to help you along the way.

With a my Social Security account, you can also get your Social Security Statement showing how much you paid in Social Security and Medicare taxes through your working years. You can use your Statement to verify your earnings history so that you receive the correct payment amount when you become eligible for benefits. And speaking of your future benefits, your Statement also shows estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors’ benefits.

And, when you need it, you can get a benefit verification letter to prove you receive Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicare. Your personal my Social Security  account also allows you to change your address if you’re already receiving benefits, and to start or change your direct deposit information.

You have all that at your fingertips, and you never had to leave your hammock!

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. Marvin N.

    I need a copy of my W2 records. I cannot find my W2 to fill out my taxes.
    Marvin N. Knasel
    805 W. Main Street
    Eaton, Ohio 45320

    • Ray F.

      Hello Marvin, for security reasons, we do not have access to personal information, therefore, we do not do direct messaging in this venue.
      For a copy of a W-2, you should contact your employer’s human resource or personnel office. If you are referring to the Form SSA-1099 showing the amount of benefits paid to SSA beneficiaries during last year, you can request a replacement SSA-1099 by using your personal my Social Security account. We hope this helps!
      Just a reminder – Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media and communicating personal information via email.

      • richare e.


  2. Kathleen M.

    Do I have to pay federal and Maryland state taxes on my social security checks that I am receiving?
    If I do, how do I have them deducted from my social security checks?

  3. Roger G.

    I was wondering if my retirement benefit included credit for active duty service? I was on active duty from 1973-1977.

    • Ray F.

      Hello Rogers. If your active military service occurred from 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record. See our Retirement Planner: Special Extra Earnings For Military Service for more information.
      Just a reminder – Please be cautious about posting personal information on social media. Thanks!

  4. Kay D.

    I have to pay higher premiums for my Medicare Part B plan due to my income. Am I required to get the prescription drug coverage due to my income even though I am covered by my supplemental insurance plan?

  5. jay f.

    I need to find the name and date of my last employer i worked for, which was about 15 years ago. How do i do this?

  6. Andy W.

    Does the DAV assist veterans with there social security disability?

  7. Anita P.

    I need to make a appointment in the Hemet office as soon as possible.
    I have called and the wait time is anywhere from an hour to two hours. I can’t do that during business hours . I can’t wait that long
    Please help.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Anita. Some of our local offices do offer walk-in appointments; however, these appointments are on a first come, first serve basis. You can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 and speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Keep in mind that many of our services are conveniently available anytime at our website. You can even apply for Social Security benefits online.
      We encourage our customers to create a my Social Security account. With a personal my Social Security account, you can get estimates of your retirement, disability, and survivors benefits, review your earnings record and much more.
      We appreciate your feedback, and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

  8. Judy K.

    I went down to the social security office to get my name and address changed.Why did I get a benefits letter with my name before I was married and an address that I had before I was married? Is there any way to get a correct benefits letter.

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for any inconvenience, Judy. One of our representatives should be able to help you and provide you with an explanation. Please call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance. Representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week. Thanks.

  9. Mark S.

    I turned 65 this last November at which time I was told my benefits letter required for property taxes was mailed not long after my birthday the 18th and should have had it 10 days after according to an agent? that in theory means it should have been here before Christmas,to date1/24/18 it is still not here?? why? this is insane is it not?
    I have a life and cannot hang on the phone for hours waiting for a simple(so I thought) always drains my phone battery also ,they are not inexpensive if you can get one.I know I had to get one after the last time I called. in other words it is not happening again.suggestions?I need the paper version the online account thing does not work with my county tax bureau.

    • Ray F.

      If you need proof you get Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security (SSI) Income or Medicare, you can request a benefit verification letter online by using your my Social Security account. If you can’t or don’t want to use your online account, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
      Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later during the week. Thanks!

  10. Donald &.

    My wife and I both receive benefits and have My Social Security accounts.
    However, I have been unable to change our mailing address because I work for the US Army in Japan and we have an APO AP address (PSC 704, Box 3494, APO AP 96338).
    I have mailed an address change to your international office hard copy but nothing has happened.

Comments are closed.