General, Taxes

Extra Services For Employers

June 8, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

A smiling woman gardens in a nursery storeOur beneficiaries aren’t the only ones who do business with Social Security. We have a variety of online tools for employers that make managing employee information quick, easy, and secure.

Through Business Services Online (BSO), employers, as well as organizations, businesses, attorneys and non-attorneys representing Social Security applicants and third parties can exchange information with us over the Internet.

BSO offers:

  • Electronic wage reporting;
  • The ability to view and correct name and Social Security number (SSN) errors;
  • SSN verification;
  • Access to a form to update business taxpayer information; and
  • Forms submission and printing for representative payees.

After registering for BSO, you can interact directly with us through our enhanced online services to meet many of your needs.

Our three-part YouTube series, called “The Joy of Using BSO,” has helpful registration instructions and highlights our SSN verification and electronic wage reporting services.

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Phil Gambino, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Assistant Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. shawnta c.

    Helpful comments . I learned a lot from the insight . Does anyone know where my assistant might be able to access a template a form example to fill in ?

  2. Corey S.

    Very interesting subject , thankyou for posting . “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.” by Lisa Grossman.

  3. Lori W.

    I am the Financial Representative Payee to a disabled man who I have cared for over 3 years. I was injured and had emergency back surgery so I was not with him and signed off being his financial payee for just one month. The other PA signed on and then I signed back on at the end of November, 2014. In doing this at such a late date in the month, his money went to her Direct Express Card and she cut it up. We are still missing his November payment and have been given the run around since Dec 3rd when we realized that his money from Social Security was NOT there and is still not being given to him. Our local office has had me on a wild goose chase since December and I dont know who else to call, what to do, and how it should be done! Somebody HELP please! I have called Direct Express where his money goes onto the card at the beginning of every month but we are still missing Decembers payment and when he lives off of only $750 a month, its a lot to lose and TRY for four months already to get it back with no luck. This is in no way his fault or mine but our local Social Security Office has gotten us nowhere! Its always call back in 1 week…..2 weeks……one month……as these things take time…..Please… doesnt take 4 months……John at our Local office said the money was returned to them on Feb 12th and then went to a “processing center” on the 16th and NORMALLY the money is automatically kicked onto the card… still has not been and he cant answer WHY this has not happened as of yet……what should I do????

    • Ray F.

      We apologize for the delay and inconveniences you are experiencing, Lori. Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the manager to see how we can help to expedite resolution of your situation. If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks.

  4. Michelle

    Hello, could you please tell me if and how our social security is affected if we file “Married filing Separately” in Arizona (a community property state)?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Michelle, for any income tax related questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040.

      • shirmohammad

        To establish I.P.C.C as the premier logistical company through Afghanistan while maintaining our prestigious history with our uncompromising principles as we thrive.

  5. John c.

    Can child support garnish your social security benefits?

    • Ray F.

      Hi John and thanks for contacting us. Yes, we can withhold Social Security benefits to enforce a legal obligation to pay child support, alimony or restitution. State laws determine a valid garnishment order. By law, we garnish current and continuing monthly benefits. We do not make retroactive adjustments. For more information read our Frequent Asked Questions page on this topic.

  6. Wanda B.

    My late husband and I were divorced. He was remarried when he died. When I am eligible for retirement can I claim his SS benefits. If so, how do I go about this and is there any information on guidelines?

  7. eliedith

    what are all these ads about increasing ss cheques through canada? is that a scam? my husband is retiring thats why im asking, i am still working as adjunct prof, probably retire when im 80

  8. don b.

    I see all the ads that state you can increase your monthly checks. Are these bogus?

  9. John C.

    The ability to file 941s electronically (like we can W-2s) would be most helpful.

    • JanAtheCPA

      Same as above: 941s are not filed with the SSA, so SSA has no reason to offer 941 e-filing. The IRS is in charge of 941 returns. I don’t prepare 941s (I only do a few W-2s for Schedule H household workers) so I don’t know how 941s can be e-filed, sorry!

      SSA receives W-2s so that they can record and update employee earnings records. Then they pass on the W-2 information to the IRS so that IRS can match W-2s to tax returns, and also match employer W-2 totals to 941 totals.

    • James L.

      John, we recommend you contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040.

  10. Marilyn W.

    Can I, as my company representative, file a 941 online?

    • JanAtheCPA

      Pretty much the same answer – 941s are only filed with the IRS, so SSA has no reason to offer 941 online filing. I don’t do payroll taxes, so I don’t know if IRS offers this service, or if you have to purchase third-party software in order to e-file.

    • James L.

      Marilyn, we recommend you contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040. We hope this helps.

Comments are closed.