General, Taxes

Extra Services For Employers

June 8, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

A smiling woman gardens in a nursery storeOur beneficiaries aren’t the only ones who do business with Social Security. We have a variety of online tools for employers that make managing employee information quick, easy, and secure.

Through Business Services Online (BSO), employers, as well as organizations, businesses, attorneys and non-attorneys representing Social Security applicants and third parties can exchange information with us over the Internet.

BSO offers:

  • Electronic wage reporting;
  • The ability to view and correct name and Social Security number (SSN) errors;
  • SSN verification;
  • Access to a form to update business taxpayer information; and
  • Forms submission and printing for representative payees.

After registering for BSO, you can interact directly with us through our enhanced online services to meet many of your needs.

Our three-part YouTube series, called “The Joy of Using BSO,” has helpful registration instructions and highlights our SSN verification and electronic wage reporting services.

Tags: , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Phil Gambino, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Assistant Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Renee' A.

    I would be very interested in an online program through BSO to prepare 1099 forms. I love using the software to complete W-2 forms and the reconciliation, but having a program to prepare the 1099’s would be just great! Is anything like this forthcoming?

    • JanAtheCPA

      1099s are only filed with the IRS, so the SSA has no reason to offer this service. Back in the day (before BSO) I prepared a few W-2s by hand, so I know that W-2s are mailed to (filed with) the SSA, which then shares the info with IRS.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Renee, We are glad to hear that you like our online W-2 form service for employers. However, since employers file 1099 forms with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), not Social Security, we do not offer that service.

      We do mail a form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits they received from Social Security in the previous year so they know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on their tax return. Beneficiaries can get a replacement form SSA-1099 online and view or print it by creating a my Social Security account. Thanks!

  2. Kathleen O.

    I have been married twice – 13 years each time
    1st husband – widowed.
    2nd husband – divorced.

    I have been told that I can collect on my 1st husbands social security when I am 60.
    1) How do I get information on this?
    2) Can I switch to “my” social security at full retirement age (67)?

    • James L.

      Kathleen, yes you are eligible to apply for survivors benefits from your first marriage when you reach age 60 (age 50 or older if you are disabled). You may switch to your own retirement benefits if your retirement rate is higher than your rate as a widow. We compare your own retirement benefit with your current survivor benefit. In many cases, you could begin receiving your survivor benefit at a reduced rate and then, at your full retirement age, switch to your own retirement benefit at an unreduced rate. Visit here for further information on survivors benefits for widows. To find out how much you are eligible for on each record and to discuss your options, please contact us Monday through Friday at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., or visit your local Social Security office.

  3. Sue

    Can a client allow access to their accountant or CPA to obtain SS income information to aid in preparation of their tax returns?

    • James L.

      Sue, because a beneficiary’s personal information is confidential, we do not disclose information in an individual’s Social Security record to anyone else unless we have his or her consent. However, you can provide a copy of your SSA-1099 to your accountant or CPA to help with tax return preparation.

  4. Kathy

    I’m interested in set up BSO ,would like to verity SS #
    Is there a charge to check on SS # on my employees.

    • James L.

      Kathy, there is no fee to use our Social Security Number Verification Service, a free online service that will allow you to verify that the names and Social Security numbers of hired employees match Social Security records. For more information on BSO, you may call our dedicated Employer Reporting Service Center Hotline at 1-800-772-6270 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., or email BSO at

  5. Maria V.

    I would like to know if it is true that I can apply for SS and receive $ when my ex husband (married for 20 yrs). starts getting his social security benefits. How will I know? Will someone notify me. He lives in P.R. and I live in FL. Please advise, thank you!

    • James L.

      Great set of questions, Maria! Yes, “If You Are Divorced“, and your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you could receive benefits on your ex-husband’s record. When your ex-husband applies for retirement benefits, he will have to provide us with his marriage information, to include your address or contact information, if he knows it, so that we can send you a letter asking you to apply for benefits under his record. If he is age 62 or older and has not applied for but qualifies for retirement benefits, you can apply and receive benefits on his record if you have been divorced for at least two years. You can call our toll free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) Monday through Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. to speak with one of our representatives for further assistance. Or, you can visit your local office.


    How do I go on line to have Federal and State taxes deducted from my monthly Social Security check?

    • Lorenzo D.

      Johnnie, to get federal taxes withheld from your Social Security benefit, please print, complete, and submit an IRS Voluntary Withholding Request Form (Form W-4V). On this form, you can choose to have 7, 10, 15, or 25 percent of your monthly benefit withheld. The completed form needs to be taken in person (or sent by mail) to your local Social Security office. To find the Form W-4V and for more information on completing this process, please go to our Withholding Income Tax From Your Social Security Benefits web page.

      • JanAtheCPA

        Is there any plan to make this an online option in the future? I have a number of clients who would accept my suggestion to have withholding taken out of their benefits if it was easy to do online. I have one client on a Peace Corps mission in Africa for whom printing and mailing is a real problem, but she really needs withholding due to other income.

        • James L.

          Jan, the IRS does not offer the option to fill out the Form W-4V online at this time. However, you can download and print the form online. For any further questions and IRS requirements, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040.

  7. Marilyn W.

    I’m interested in ss as well as disability

  8. francois a.

    I say congratulations, go ahead .

  9. Robert T.

    The information referred to below about cookies s not available.

    You can find information on our Internet Privacy Policy, including the use of cookies, from our Internet website at

  10. Jill J.

    Is there a charge to set up the BSO? Also, can it be used to verify SSA income for tenants living is Section 8 housing?

    • Lorenzo D.

      There is no charge to set up a BSO account. You cannot use it to verify SSA income for tenants living in Section 8 housing. For more information on the services available through BSO, please visit us here.

      • larry h.

        was wondering and new update for child benefits i trying to get my father but i got all qulifcation but one which i was married now divorced when i lost i was told i would keep it so i was lied to about that thanks

Comments are closed.