Frauds & Scams, General, Online Services

Don’t Stand by … Speak Up!

August 20, 2015 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

A concerned woman on the phoneAugust is National Bystander Awareness Month. As a bystander, you can play an essential role in preventing violence, wrongdoings, and fraud. Have you ever witnessed something that you knew was wrong and wondered if you should report it? Did you want to say something, but didn’t because you were afraid of negative consequences? Don’t be afraid, because there are federal laws to protect you.

Reporting information or activity that you suspect is illegal, dishonest, or false is your right. Reportable violations could be abuse of authority, gross waste of funds, a specific danger to public health or safety, or gross mismanagement.

Social Security’s programs were originally created to serve the American public, and 80 years later they still provide critical support to people of all ages. As good stewards of the tax dollars you entrust to us, we design our systems to protect the program against fraud, waste, and abuse.

But, our systems can’t catch everything. And that’s where you can help.

We need you to help us detect and deter fraud, waste, and abuse. Reporting wrongful acts can save lives and taxpayers dollars. Don’t let illegal or dishonest behavior happen on your watch. Learn what we are doing to fight fraud and how you can report fraud.

For more information about whistleblower protections, go to our OIG’s website.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Doug Walker, Deputy Commissioner, Communications

Deputy Commissioner, Office of Communications


  1. Joyce H.

    I am trying to find out why I have not yet received my W-2 form from 2018. All of my neighbors have received theirs, but I have NOT. When I called your office today, I was told by the automated message that my wait time would be over one hour.

    Is there another way for me to obtain a W-2 online?

    I can’t find a phone number for the social security office in Scottsdale, AZ on Tatum Boulevard. Is this number listed on your website. If so, where?

    Thank you.

    Joyce HAUPT, #*** – ** – ***
    Phoenix, AZ

    • A.C.

      Hi, Joyce. You can request a replacement SSA-1099/1042S for Tax Year 2018 by visiting your personal my Social Security account. You can also contact or visit your local office. They can assist with a replacement 1099. We hope this helps.

  2. darrell j.

    I recieved a call that i was in danger of loosing disability benifits.caller left #starting with979- i didnt get # please inform me as to action i must take ss#*** – ** – ***

  3. Angel C.

    to Office of the inspector general… I believe I been wrong… I am 64 years old. I try to apply for my Social Security Benefits (SSB) every year since I was 62. Every time I applied they coerce me into NOT getting my SSB. They do this by telling me that I can either have my SSB or Medicaid for my son but not both. They tell me is my choice. I either request for my SSB and my son’s Medicaid is suspended or my son gets Medicaid and I get no SSB. My son is terminally ill with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy; without Medicaid he will die. In my eyes this subjects have nothing to do with each other. I have over 40 points accumulated, meaning I have worked all of my life. I am retired military with several wars under my belt. Now that I retired I do not like them giving me a coerce choice and telling me I have to choose; either my SSB or my son’s life. Apples and Oranges – not the same. Why?

  4. Sondra g.

    I have waited 1:10 minutes waiting to speak to someone!

    • R.F.

      We’re sorry that you had difficulty reaching someone by phone, Sondra. We may have been experiencing higher than normal call volume. Representatives at our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), are available between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. Generally, you will experience a shorter wait time if you call later during the day or later in the week.
      Remember, most Social Security business do not require a visit to a local field office. Many services, including applying for retirement, disability and Medicare benefits, creating a my Social Security account, requesting a replacement Medicare card, or reporting a change of address or telephone number are conveniently available anytime at our website. Thanks!

  5. larry j.

    i was refused water service at my new residence because i wouldnt give them my ss number. i told the lady and her supervisor that all medicare cards were changed because of identy theft problems and offered my credit report instead. the city of escondido ca. told me 2 forms of id and one had to be ss. they said my only other choice was to pay a $300 deposit. this is both unfair and unsafe.

  6. Beth T.

    I am reporting a possible phone scam call I received last night shortly after applying for a Kohl’s credit card. To get the card I punched in my ss# on their machine. I did n’t give it personally to the employee that was signing me up. The call came from 916-913-9589 with a request to return the call immediately because my SS card has “been comprimised and is being suspended today”. I did not call them back. I’m sending SS thru this comment box to notify ss of this possible scam call. Thanks. Elizabeth Tieszen

    • R.F.

      Thank you for contacting us, Beth. Social Security Administration (SSA) employees occasionally contact citizens by telephone for customer-service purposes. An SSA employee may call you in limited situations, such as if you recently filed a claim or have other Social Security business that are pending.
      The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), which receives and analyzes public complaints related to identity theft, recently reported to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) an increase in reports of suspicious phone calls from people claiming to be SSA employees.
      If a person receives a suspicious call from someone alleging to be from SSA, citizens may report that information to the OIG at 1-800-269-0271 or online via

  7. Kimberly R.

    To whom it may concern,
    My name is Kimberly reuss, my 8 year old son skylair hethcox receives ss benefits his back pay of 4,762.56 was supposed to go into the bank in January of 2018 here it is August and still no check this is Opelika al. If you would like you can contact me at 334-487-0418 thank you so much…

  8. Desira W.


    • R.F.

      Hi Desira, the amount of your Social Security benefit will depend on the amount of your average lifetime earnings. Generally, we use the highest years of earnings to calculate your monthly benefit amount.
      You will need to go into your local Social Security office to correct your earnings record. When you go, you will need to provide proper ID and evidence of your missing earnings, such as W-2s, pay stubs, etc.
      (Note: We prefer to make a correction as soon as possible. However, you can make the correction at the time that you file for benefits).
      You can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) to make an appointment. Representatives are available Monday through Friday between 7:00a.m. and 7:00p.m. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week.
      We hope this helps!

  9. C

    I recently tried to get a resteaining order to protect my father whom because of unsanitary living conditions had an infection in his blood so bad it is affecting his thought process and was told no he had to sign the documents! Later the abuser called police and had me removed from my family home and my father currently remains in her care! This county does nothing to protect elders in my opinion and make it impossible for the people who really care to take action!



Comments are closed.