Don’t be Spooked about Retiring OnlineReading Time: 2 Minutes
Last Updated: August 4, 2021
Vile vampires and wicked witches are some of the classic scary monsters that haunted us as children. As adults, some of the scariest parts of our day might be all the stresses that come with everyday life. Medical appointments, car maintenance, and running errands — it can be overwhelming enough to make us want to scream.When doing online business with Social Security, you can put your fears behind you. There’s nothing scary about filing for Social Security benefits online. You can do it while snacking on holiday candy from the comfort of your home or office. Applications for retirement, spouse’s, Medicare, and disability benefits are all online.
If you don’t wish to use the online application, or the application for the benefit you want isn’t available online, you can:
- Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
- Visit your local Social Security office. An appointment isn’t required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.
Almost like magic, when you create a personal my Social Security account, you can:
- Keep track of your earnings and verify them every year.
- Get an estimate of your future benefits if you’re still working.
- Get an instant letter with proof of your benefits if you currently receive them.
- Manage your benefits:
- Change your address.
- Start or change your direct deposit.
- Get a replacement Medicare card.
- Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.
That’s the kind of magic we continue to deliver with our world-class customer service. We hope you tell your friends and family about how we’ve taken the fright out of filing online!