Online Services, SSI

Don’t be Spooked about Retiring Online

October 29, 2015 • By

Last Updated: August 4, 2021

woman holding a light jack-o-lantern Vile vampires and wicked witches are some of the classic scary monsters that haunted us as children. As adults, some of the scariest parts of our day might be all the stresses that come with everyday life. Medical appointments, car maintenance, and running errands — it can be overwhelming enough to make us want to scream.When doing online business with Social Security, you can put your fears behind you. There’s nothing scary about filing for Social Security benefits online. You can do it while snacking on holiday candy from the comfort of your home or office. Applications for retirement, spouse’s, Medicare, and disability benefits are all online.

If you don’t wish to use the online application, or the application for the benefit you want isn’t available online, you can:

  • Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).
  • Visit your local Social Security office. An appointment isn’t required, but if you call ahead and schedule one, it may reduce the time you spend waiting to apply.

Almost like magic, when you create a personal my Social Security account, you can:

  • Keep track of your earnings and verify them every year.
  • Get an estimate of your future benefits if you’re still working.
  • Get an instant letter with proof of your benefits if you currently receive them.
  • Manage your benefits:
    • Change your address.
    • Start or change your direct deposit.
    • Get a replacement Medicare card.
    • Get a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax season.

That’s the kind of magic we continue to deliver with our world-class customer service. We hope you tell your friends and family about how we’ve taken the fright out of filing online!

Tags: , , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Assistant Deputy Commissioner, Communications


  1. William

    I have medicare part a. Can I apply for part b online.

  2. Barbara B.

    How do I have Federal Taxes deducted from my SSA

  3. Amadou.

    I am a truck driver and being a resident of NewYork city, a lot of deductions are taken from my paycheck every week. I know the taxes I am paying Fund Medicare, Medicaid and all other kind of deductions. Me myself, I dont have no benefits. If I am sick today I’ll have to pay out of my pocket. My question is how can have benefits and do I have to pay for the benefits and what kind of Social Security benefits an I have?

    • Ray F.

      Hi Amadou. You can create a my Social Security account and view your Social Security (earnings) Statement online at any time. With this online account, you also can get estimates of your future retirement, disability, and survivors benefits, and the estimated Social Security and Medicare taxes you’ve paid. In addition, you can find general information about our services and programs anytime at our website. We hope this information helps!

  4. Emebmw

    When you suspend Social Security at age 66 to gain 8 percent more in monthly payments, when exactly does the first payment of the added monthly payment begin? It is after 4 years when you reach age 70 or do you wait until the end of the fifth year when you are about to be 71?

  5. c.stokes

    When you retire how long does it take to start getting you benifits?

    • Ray F.

      Your payments are established almost immediately after we process your application. Remember that benefits are paid the month after they are due. So, for instance, if you want your benefits to begin with the month of March, you will receive your first benefit payment in April. The earliest age to apply and receive Social Security Retirement Benefits is 62, but if you decide to get benefits before your full retirement age, your benefits will be reduced. Also, you can create a My Social Security account to review your earnings record and get an estimate of your future benefits. When you are ready, you can complete your application for retirement benefits online.

  6. Janet

    When will the 1099 be posted on line?

    • Ray F.

      Thanks for your question, Janet. The SSA-1099 is mailed by January 31 each year. Beneficiaries with a my Social Security account can use online services to get a replacement SSA-1099 on or after February 1 through December of each year.

  7. P L.

    i filed online for retirement benefits on sept.17. i never got a confirmation number. my benefits should start in jan, 2016. how do i get a confirmation letter or number?

    • Ray F.

      Thanks for using our blog. In your case, we suggest that you call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. One of our representatives should be able to provide you with information about your application for retirement benefits. Or you can contact your local Social Security office directly.

  8. Kathy

    I have been receiving disability benefits for the past 15 years. When I get to retirement age will my financial benefit be decreased? (I received a higher financial payment monthly due to not being able to work.) Thank you in advance for your help.

    • Ray F.

      Hi Kathy. When you receive disability benefits under the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program, we will automatically convert your disability benefits to retirement benefits, when you attain your Full Retirement Age. The benefit amount will generally remain the same.

  9. Noel A.

    I retired on November 13 2015. I got plan B with Medicare, which covers 80 percent. I need supplement health insurance to cover the 20 percent. other insurance companies are too expensive and confusing. I must have feet surgery and I can’t cover the pre op fee. Any suggestions, help. Thanks.

  10. Kayode, O.

    I bcame deaf due to a sickness called acoustic neurofibromotisis or so(nf2) and the doctor dd surgery on my both ears. The surgery made me lost vision on my left side completely and the right side is bluring. I cant walk properly, i was on soc sec dsability. My spouse bcame hostile to me and i was seperated from her. This made a Rev father, to accomodate me, my condition was so bad. The rev father, whose is late now dd his best for me to ve accomodated me in his appartment @ 216 rockaway av, brooklyn. I was assisted to come to nigeria due to my deteriorating condition to seek further medical helps. However, i want to return to New York, i am a U.S citizen, i ve no where to live and i am deaf completely and blind on completely on my left eye. My host Rev theophilus Ojo has passed on, my ssd has not bn paid into my chase bk account, i use direct deposit to receive my ssd stipend. Kindly help me on how i can get a place to stay wth my disability on arrival to new york. Also i will want my benefit paid directly to my chase bank account ny.

Comments are closed.