General, Online Services

Check the Status of Your Social Security Benefits Claim Online

July 15, 2021 • By

Last Updated: July 20, 2021

Woman sitting down checking information on a tabletIf you applied for Social Security benefits, or have a pending reconsideration or hearing request, you can check the status online using your free personal my Social Security account. If you don’t have an account, you can create one to see the following information about your claim:

• Date of filing.
  • Current claim location.
  • Scheduled hearing date and time.
  • Re-entry numbers for incomplete applications.
  • Servicing office location.
  • Publications of interest, depending on the claim and current step in the process.

Use your personal my Social Security account to check the status of your application or appeal. If you have questions about retirement, disability, Medicare, or survivors benefits, as well as Supplemental Security Income, visit our Benefits page.

Please share this information with your family and friends – and post it on social media.

Tags: , , , , ,

Deputy Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications

Comments

1. Carlito d villanueva

Is there a reason why my july 21 pension is not sent yet?

2. Gloria Sanchez Ximenez

I’m turning 63 in September I take care of my adult daughter that’s disabled. Will I still be able to apply and take care of her? I only make 14,500$ a year and I really need extra money to get our own place. We’re staying with family right now. I don’t know how this works. It’s just me and her.

• Patty

Hi Gloria. Thanks for using our Blog. You can get Social Security retirement benefits and work at the same time. However, if you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, we will reduce your benefit. For 2021 that limit is $18,960/year. For more information check out our Frequently Asked Questions. When you’re ready to apply for retirement benefits, use our online retirement application, the quickest, easiest, and most convenient way to apply. We hope this information is helpful!

3. Lewis Carroll

I submitted a reconcideration of a denied claim for widows benefit made in Dec 2020. I was told by a manager all missing documentation was accounted for and processing on my reconsideration would proceed. That was six weeks ago… I’m going broke and burning through savings. The my social security service provides no additional information except that it’s being reviewed. When I call the phone rings a long time the I get a message saying everyone is busy and then the phone hangs up. Is there anything I can do to help this process?

• Patty

Hi Lewis. We are sorry to hear of your experience. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 to discuss the status of your reconsideration or you can call your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

4. Nader

Why Social Security Administration has the worst customer service in the country?
    How this system works and how government choose and hire these employees?!

5. Robert Tekas

Hello, are you looking extra money? Try paid surveys an dother online jobs. All iseasy and free.

6. nayeem

I have a little bit of confuse, When and how should I apply ? Is there anyone know about Rehabs in Georgia?

7. Sarin Sun

I’ve been having a hard time of logging in or creating the account
    and we’re been homeless over 4 months and no income one whole year already. If I could able to work I would work already I wouldn’t let my daughter suffering like this!!!

8. Patricia E Van Story

Did not receive payment

• Rodney L Grace

When is my check going to arrive…?

9. Art T.

My birthday is October, when i should apply for early retirement.

• Patty

Hi Art, thanks for using our blog to ask your question. You can apply for Social Security retirement benefits when you are at least 61 years and 9 months of age. Once you’re ready to apply, the easiest way to complete your application is online. If you need further assistance, call us at 1-800-772-1213 or you can contact your local Social Security office. We hope this information helps.

10. Anna Arvidson

Anna
    Why don’t they give us credit for being wives made to stay home by there husbands It seems unfair to me.

• Philip

My dad died 2018 and a vietnam era veteran. And My mom is 64 and she still not getting her pension. They advice my mom she needs to leave in the philippines and go to united states in order to get the pension but how she can go she don’t have the money. Please dont wait for my mom to die waiting for here pension shes already 64 and my mom deserve the pension she take care my dad for 30 years and my dad serve the united states and my dad promise my mom she will be take care by embassy

• Bill

They do, you can apply for spousal benefits once your husband starts drawing his social security. You will get a check for 50% of what he gets if you file at your FRA (full retirement age). You can file as early as age 62 but the amount you will receive is reduced by as much as 30%.