Choose a Representative Payee for Social Security to Consider Before You May Need One

April 3, 2020 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

older couple reviewing paperwork and using laptop

The future can be uncertain. However, our Advance Designation program can help put you in control of your benefits if a time comes when you need a representative payee to help manage your money. Advance Designation enables you to identify up to three people, in priority order, whom you would like to serve as your potential representative payee.

We recently celebrated the one-year anniversary of our Advanced Designation program. Since its launch in March 2020, more than one million eligible individuals have opted to participate.

The following people may choose an Advance Designation:

  • Adults and emancipated minors applying for benefits who do not have a representative payee.
  • Adult and emancipated minor beneficiaries/recipients who do not have a representative payee.

We offer Advance Designation if you fall into one of the above categories and are capable of making your own decisions. You can submit your Advance Designation information when you:

  • File a claim for benefits online.
  • Use the application available in your personal my Social Security account.
  • Call us by telephone at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

In the event that you can no longer make your own decisions, you and your family will have peace of mind knowing you already chose someone you trust to manage your benefits.

We have updated our Frequently Asked Questions to answer any questions you may have about Advance Designation. You may also find more information about representative payees in our blog post.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author


  1. Gigitx

    Hi, I have not recieved my $1200 stimulus check. I recieve Social Security benefits based on my deceased husbands earnings. I have no other income so I do not file taxes. My check is direct deposited into my credit union each month. As of today it is still not in my account. When I check on the Get my payment it gives me a message of status not available. Do I need to file a simple tax form? Can someone please reply back to me.

  2. Anita W.

    I have a Representative Payee and am on Social Security Disability do I qualify for the Economic Stimulus Package if so how and when will I get my check? I keep checking the get my payment tool and it says payment status unavailable. I can’t find out the answer to this question anywhere please help!!!!

  3. Neisha

    I am my fathers payee (SSI). I work and receive my own Stimulus check. Does that affect him from receiving his own stimulus check ? The direct express card is under my name.

  4. Alice R.

    Can I collect Covid 19 PUA unemployment insurance and SSDI at the same time. I only work the hours set by SSA to keep full benefit but the company at my part time job approved PUA/Unemployment payments to me. Please let me know if I’ll lose or have my SSDI payment reduced.



    • Vonda V.

      Hi Alice, thank you for your question. If you’re receiving Social Security disability benefits, unemployment insurance benefits will not affect your monthly benefits. If you’re receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you do need to report all of your income, including unearned income such as unemployment. Please note that we will not consider economic impact payments as income for SSI recipients, and the payments are excluded from resources for 12 months.

      For more about reporting income, check out the online booklet, Understanding Supplemental Security Income. To report your income, you can call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  5. Melissa p.

    I have a payee will I get the payment am I eligible?

  6. Gloria

    HELLO my gloria I’m my kid payee and she 34 years old will she still get the 1200 stimulus payment

  7. Alan

    Hello I’m an adult who get Social Security disability I do not work and have not filed taxes.

    I have a representative payee that handles my money. It’s what I want to know is the stimulus check going to be mailed to me are my representative payee. My social security check normally goes directly into a bank account that’s controlled by my representative payee.

    Also the IRS website get my payment it’s telling me payment status not available

    Payment Status Not Available
    According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time

  8. Christina W.

    Good morning..I receive ssi for my youngest child will I still get a stimulus check …even though I didn’t file taxes..when I tried to put in my information they say it was no need because ssi would automatically get it anyway

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Christina, thank you for your question. Please visit the IRS Economic Impact Payments Information Center to answer your questions about eligibility, payment amounts, what to expect, when to expect it and more. Hope this helps!

  9. Sharon D.

    Hello I am a payee.for someone that gets SSI and social security .and I get SSI for my self .so what do I need to do to get the mney the stimlest money or what do I need to do .haven’t heard nothing about it ..thank you I get the card diract express card .

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Sharon, thank you for your question. Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability beneficiaries and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients who do not have qualifying children under age 17 do not need to take any action with the IRS. You will automatically receive your $1,200 economic impact payment directly from the IRS. You should receive the automatic payments by direct deposit, Direct Express debit card, or by paper check, just as you would normally receive your Social Security benefits. Treasury expects automatic payments for Social Security beneficiaries no later than the end of April and automatic payments for SSI recipients no later than early May. We hope this helps.

      • Hilda M.

        Hi, I am the Payee for my children that receive SSI and SSA benefits and they are minors. But I Don’t have any income of my own therefore I haven’t filed taxes for 2018 or 2019 Do I need to do anything in order to get the Stimulas

        • Vonda V.

          Hi Hilda, thanks for using our blog. If you’re receiving SSI benefits and you did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes, and have qualifying children under age 17, you should immediately go to the IRS’s webpage and visit the Non-Filers: Enter Your Information section to provide your information. SSI recipients who have dependent children and did not file 2018 or 2019 taxes need to act by Tuesday, May 5, in order to receive additional payments for their eligible children quickly.

  10. Raquel

    I am retired and I receive SSA every month, my direct deposit always says Social Security Benefit. My last deposit received on April 15 for the same amount says “Federal Credit” what does that mean? Why did the name changed? I don’t have dependents, are we also receiving the $1200?. It is not clear.

Comments are closed.