Choose a Representative Payee for Social Security to Consider Before You May Need One

April 3, 2020 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

older couple reviewing paperwork and using laptop

The future can be uncertain. However, our Advance Designation program can help put you in control of your benefits if a time comes when you need a representative payee to help manage your money. Advance Designation enables you to identify up to three people, in priority order, whom you would like to serve as your potential representative payee.

We recently celebrated the one-year anniversary of our Advanced Designation program. Since its launch in March 2020, more than one million eligible individuals have opted to participate.

The following people may choose an Advance Designation:

  • Adults and emancipated minors applying for benefits who do not have a representative payee.
  • Adult and emancipated minor beneficiaries/recipients who do not have a representative payee.

We offer Advance Designation if you fall into one of the above categories and are capable of making your own decisions. You can submit your Advance Designation information when you:

  • File a claim for benefits online.
  • Use the application available in your personal my Social Security account.
  • Call us by telephone at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

In the event that you can no longer make your own decisions, you and your family will have peace of mind knowing you already chose someone you trust to manage your benefits.

We have updated our Frequently Asked Questions to answer any questions you may have about Advance Designation. You may also find more information about representative payees in our blog post.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: ,

See Comments

About the Author


  1. Melissa p.

    Peoe with an payee will they receive the stimilus check. Will it interfere with payee getting their stimilus check?

  2. hug g.

  3. Lafayette T.

    My Medicaid was canceled. Money from my Checking account has been taken. I am holding a recent letter from social security saying I can cancel part B Medicare if I want. I know nothing about any of this.

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Lafayette, thank you for using our blog to ask you question. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213 for assistance or you can contact your local Social Security office. Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator. The number may appear under Show Additional Office Information. Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal. We hope this information helps.

  4. Samuelwright

    Need help when will we be sent out the month of April

  5. Her M.

    You have been so very blessed people with kindness kindness and respect from the people who have worked for you and still pray for you and without judgment. So when someone is disabled and that would be me and getting the benefit they actually worked for and while my journey has continued to help me grow I will hopefully have enough time on this earth to continue with my work soon and that would be helping dirty lires but I will never stop praying for you and your children. Just so answer the people and they might take a minute to be thankful if you were a jerk before you probably still are and will be after. Nothing to drastic ever changes but life is always moving I suggest you catch up and shut up

  6. mikraj

    This article really so good and attractive content.
    thanks for sharing this information.

  7. Linda F.

    Where would I find the Representative payee form for the state of Tennessee.

  8. Home b.

    Is the stimulus payment going on direct Express cards or are you guys making people go out and risk catching the coronavirus

  9. Nhora F.

    I want my Representative payee to br my daughter Nora F Aufiero.

  10. Robert b.

    Where do you enter the person to designate as a representative for yourself?

    • Vonda V.

      Hi Robert. Thank you for using our blog. Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page on the ways to submit or change Advance Designation. We hope this helps.

Comments are closed.