Online Services, SSI

Why It’s Important to Report Life Changes to Us

July 28, 2022 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 2, 2023

couple reviewing information using laptop

Did you know that certain life changes can affect your Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments? Sometimes your circumstances may change after you apply for or begin to receive SSI. When that happens, it’s important for you to tell us about these changes. This will ensure that you receive the benefits to which you’re eligible.

Types of Changes to Report if You Have Applied for or Receive SSI

When you apply for or get SSI, you must tell us about certain changes. You must also tell us about changes for your spouse if you are married and living together, and parents if applying for a child. Common changes you must report to us include:

  • Change in income.
  • Change in resources (including bank accounts, vehicles, or property).
  • Change in employment (i.e., starting, stopping, or changing jobs).
  • Change in your address or persons moving in or out of the household.
  • Entering or exiting a nursing home.
  • Entering or exiting a correctional institution (i.e., jail or prison).
  • Change in U.S. citizenship or lawful non-citizen status.
  • Change in marital status.

For a complete list of SSI reporting responsibilities, please read the following publication:

How to Report Changes in Wages

You can conveniently report your wages using our:

Be sure to sign up for monthly SSI wage reporting emails or text reminders. If you prefer, you may also report changes by:

Report Changes in a Timely Manner

If you do not report changes to us in a timely manner, you may be underpaid and not receive the amount due as quickly or be overpaid and have to pay us back.

The SSI program may apply a penalty that will reduce your benefits if you fail to report a change. You may also be penalized if you report the change later than 10 days after the end of the month in which the change occurred or lose SSI for not reporting the information we use to determine eligibility for payments.

Securing today and tomorrow starts with being informed. Please share this information with your friends and family—and post it on social media.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Dawn Bystry, Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications

Deputy Associate Commissioner, Office of Strategic and Digital Communications


  1. Syl

    My mom passed and I have reported regarding her SS benefits in direct deposit and it has been resolved. The issue is that the SSI benefits continue to be sent direct deposit and each time I call I am told that it is noted and it takes time to clear. Well its taking too long and I don’t understand why this can not be handled appropriately. The bank has tried to stop the deposit as well and told its in the system just wait. Its disturbing that this continues to happen. Who and how do I get this resolved?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Syl. We are sorry to hear about your loss and your experience. We encourage you to work with your local Social Security office. You can ask to speak to a manager on your next call or visit. We hope this is resolved soon. 

  2. John C.

    Hi, I recently divorced using service. Its not an attorney but still I was able to divorce. I filed a DH513 form for vital statistics, would I still need to report this as a life change or is it automatic with the DH513 form?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, John. Thanks for visiting our blog. Unfortunately, your situation is a bit more complex than we can handle in this forum. For your security, we do not have access to private information in this venue. We ask that members in our Blog community work with our offices with specific questions. You can call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.

  3. Susan

    My daughter receives SSI and I am her rep payee starting January 2023. In 2022, I started drawing social security income. Recently, I was told by a third party that this will affect the payments that my daughter receives and that she may be eligible for an additional amount. Is this true?

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Susan. Thanks for your question. An adult who has a disability that began before age 22 may be eligible for benefits if their parent is deceased or starts receiving retirement or disability benefits. For more information, please visit our Disability Benefits: Benefits for Children with Disabilities. If you have additional specific questions, please call us at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., for assistance. You can also contact your local Social Security office. We hope this helps.



Comments are closed.