What is FICA

March 20, 2017 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: March 20, 2017

FICA taxes help provide benefits for retirees, disabled people and children. This contribution helps your parents and grandparents have a secure retirement while securing today and tomorrow for you and your future family. Learn more about FICA.

FICA information

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Kenny

    How does IRS Bulletin 2014-7 apply to FICA taxes?
    My wife is a care provider through a state Medicaid program, for our adult son who is disabled. The agency which handles the program requires she be exempt from FICA yet she received a notice last year requiring a substantial amount be paid to Social Security after we filed our tax returns. I’ve talked with a CPA and they only wished me good luck. Any information would be appreciated.

    • Ann C.

      Hi, Kenny. For any income tax questions, you will need to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040. We hope this helps.

  2. Elizabeth A.

    I am very unsure and insecure about my disability payments I receive each month. I am now 52 and am disabled due to a domestic violence assault that happened July 2006. I have endured 5 spine surgeries and by December 2018 will be scheduled to have another one. My question to you all is how do I know that I will continue receiving disability payments in the future? I worked until 2012 and then my body just really gave out. Please let me know at your convenience. Thank you, Elizabeth Brownell

  3. WooJoon S.

    I am 72 years old and got a green card Feb. 2018. I paid fica tax for about 26 quarters while I worked in the US during 1982~88. At present I gets SS retirement benefits for $460 monthly based on US-Korea agreement. But I am not eligible for medicare.
    I have foreign salary income for $18,000 this year. Can I pay fica tax on this foreign income to fulfil 40 quarters?
    Or should I make some income in the US for paying fica tax?
    Also I’d like to know if my income report affects my benefits.
    Your kind response would be very appreciated.

  4. PAMELA D.

    My reply would be that maybe the Government should take a heck of a lot less in taxes and payroll deductions. The fixed rates for taxes on real estate at 25% to me is criminal. The ‘mandatory’ deductions OUTSIDE OF HEALTH&DENTAL that come out of our checks add up to another 30%. SO NOW WE AT 55% OF OUR INCOME GONE, 55%!!!!! NOW COMES ‘OBAMA’ CARE-AFFORDABLE HEALTHCARE…..ANOTHER $320 A MONTH LEAVING LIKE NOTHING FOR MORTGAGE, RENT, HOUSEHOLD MAINTENANCE, SAVINGS, GROCERIES, UTILITIES, TRANSPORTATION AND THE INSURANCE FOR THAT……SINGLE PEOPLE CANNOT AFFORD TO LIVE. MYSELF AND MY KIDS HAVE BEEN TOTALLY BRUTALIZED AS WELL AS OUR HOME SINCE 1999, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

  5. menage a.

    “wow, awesome blog post.Really thank you! Much obliged.”

  6. Karen P.

    I would like information about deductions to be taken from my social security check for taxes but need some help. At present, I am not taking out additional money for taxes throughout the year for my income taxes.
    Please contact me
    Karen Payette at or call (469)999-7772. Thank you. Karen Payette

  7. barbara r.

    I am on social security retirement and have a parttime job, why is Fica being taken out of my paycheck?

    • Ray F.

      Thank you for your question, Barbara. Federal laws require that everyone working in covered employment or self-employment regardless of age or eligibility for Social Security benefits must pay Social Security taxes.
      Also, some people have to pay federal income taxes on their Social Security benefits. This usually happens only if you have other substantial income (such as wages, self-employment, interest, dividends and other taxable income that must be reported on your tax return) in addition to your benefits. For further income tax questions, you will need to contact the IRS. Their toll-free number is 1-800-829-1040.

  8. Curt M.

    FICA error; there was a decrease of benefits !!



  9. Kaylee

    Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you happen to
    be a great author. I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will eventually
    come back later in life. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your
    great job, have a nice weekend!
    Manchester United Hemmaställ

  10. Mattie

    I have read so many posts concerning the blogger lovers except this post is really a fastidious paragraph,
    keep it up.

Comments are closed.