General

Supplemental Security Income Recipients Will Receive Automatic COVID-19 Economic Impact Payments

April 15, 2020 • By

The Treasury Department announced that Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients will receive automatic Economic Impact Payments directly from the Treasury Department.  Treasury anticipates these automatic payments to go out no later than early May.

SSI recipients with no qualifying children do not need to take any action in order to receive their $1,200 economic impact payment. The payments will be automatic.

SSI recipients who have qualifying children under age 17, however, should not wait for their automatic $1,200 individual payment. They should now go to the IRS’s webpage and visit the Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info section to provide their information. By taking proactive steps to enter information on the IRS website about them and their qualifying children, they will also receive the $500 per dependent child payment in addition to their $1,200 individual payment. If SSI beneficiaries in this group do not provide their information to the IRS soon, they will have to wait until later to receive their $500 per qualifying child.

This is great news for SSI recipients, and I want to remind recipients with qualifying children to go to IRS.gov soon so that you will receive the full amount of the Economic Impact Payments you and your family are eligible for. I also want to thank the dedicated employees of the Treasury Department, Social Security, and the Internal Revenue Service for making this happen and working non-stop on this issue.

SSI Recipients with Dependent Children Should Still Go To IRS.gov to Provide Their Information

Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability insurance beneficiaries (who don’t normally file taxes) will also qualify for automatic payments of $1,200 from Treasury. These payments are anticipated to start arriving around the end of April.

The Treasury Department, not Social Security, will make these automatic payments to beneficiaries. Recipients will generally receive the automatic payments by direct deposit, Direct Express debit card, or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their SSI or Social Security benefits.

For those SSI and Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability insurance beneficiaries, with dependent children, who use Direct Express debit cards, additional information will be available soon regarding the steps to take when claiming children under 17, on the IRS website.

Please note that the agency will not consider Economic Impact Payments as income for SSI recipients, and the payments are excluded from resources for 12 months.

For more information about Social Security retirement, survivors, and disability insurance beneficiaries, please see our most recent blog.

The eligibility requirements and other information about the Economic Impact Payments can be found on the IRS website. In addition, please continue to visit the IRS for the latest information.

The agency will continue to update Social Security’s COVID-19 web page  as further details become available.

Tags: ,

Andrew Saul, Commissioner, Social Security Administration

Andrew Saul, Commissioner, Social Security Administration

Commissioner of Social Security Administration

Comments

1. Glenn Paul Blount

I have not got a stimulus check . I don’t know what I should do.

2. Shane Bales

Why dont ssi recipients get the covid-19 relief famous weekly like unemployment benefits. What they’re extra $600 per week

• c

What? I read this three times and still do not understand what you are trying to say. Sounds like you are wanting a stimulus check every week. If so, dream on.

3. Carrie Alexandra Wieczorek

I am on SSI and I was supposed to get my stimulus check today in my back account and I have not received it yet and I wanna know why I haven’t gotten it yet !!!!!!!!!!

• Kenny O., Public Affairs Specialist

Hello Carrie. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS), which is part of the U.S. Treasury, will be making Economic Impact Payments (EIP). Please visit the Internal Revenue Service’s website here for all your EIP-related questions. If you are unable to find the answer, call the IRS hotline at 1-800-919-9835. We hope this helps.

4. Eulalie Walling-Sampson

Prior to retirement, I worked in the U.S. for many years. I relocated to Canada years ago, but I do receive Social Security because of my years working in the U.S. Do I qualify for the stimulus chequeE I am not required to file income tax in the U.S. because I file in Canada.
    Please reply and let me know if I qualify and how to apply.
    Thank you.

Hi Eulalie, thank you for your question. Please visit the IRS Economic Impact Payments Information Center to answer your questions about eligibility, payment amounts, what to expect, when to expect it and more. If you are unable to find the answer, call the IRS hotline at 1-800-919-9835. Thanks!

• Eulalie Walling-Sampson

Thank you for your reply Vonda, but unfortunately, the 1-800 is not applicable from my calling area, i.e. Canada. Is there another number? I don’t mind if it is a long distance. Or can I call SS directly? They too have a 1-800 but that won’t work. Appreciate your help. Many thanks

5. Paul

Is there any information on the second stimulus check for social security recipients? Do we qualify under the current plans?

6. Anaida Vartanyan

I did not get supliment 1200$

7. Anaida Vartanyan

I dont get 1200,what i shood du?

Hi Anaida, thank you for your question. Please visit the IRS Economic Impact Payments Information Center to answer your questions about eligibility, payment amounts, what to expect, when to expect it and more. If you are unable to find the answer, call the IRS hotline at 1-800-919-9835. Thanks!

• cnn

For one thing, learn how to spell.

8. Paulina Martin

Soy beneficiario SSI y hasta hoy, julio 17, 2020, no he recibido el de pago estimulo economico. Tengo cuenta bancaria. Cuando debo recibir el pago?

9. Cheryl Simard

My daughter is on SOcial Security for a Disability. She is 24 yrs old but did not receive a stimulus check. Who do I contact about this?

Hi Cheryl, thank you for your question. Please visit the IRS Economic Impact Payments Information Center to answer your questions about eligibility, payment amounts, what to expect, when to expect it and more. If you are unable to find the answer, call the IRS hotline at 1-800-919-9835. Thanks!

10. Adele J Campenni