General, Online Services

Receive Social Security Benefits? Keep Your Address Up-to-Date with my Social Security

April 8, 2019 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

" "Keeping your address up to date with a my Social Security account helps us mail your important documents to the correct place. If you receive benefits, you can use my Social Security to update your address. If you’ve moved recently, updating your information sooner rather than later will help us deliver important documents to you, including:

  • Your Social Security Benefit Statement (SSA-1099);
  • Important notices; and
  • Your Medicare card when you first enroll or if you need a replacement.

Even if you get your benefits by direct deposit, Social Security must have your correct address so we can send letters and other important information to you.

If you don’t have a my Social Security account already, you can open one today. This is the easiest way for you to keep your information up to date. Within minutes you’ll have access to your personal information as well as control over important documents like your Benefit Statement (SSA-1099), which can be replaced if you lose it.

While you’re there, you can also check to see if your earnings record is correct. Social Security keeps a record of how much you’ve made so that you get the benefits you deserve. We can only pay you your correct benefit if your records are correct.

Putting you in control of your future is a key part of securing today and tomorrow, and having your correct mailing address helps us get important documents and payments to you. With my Social Security, we help you receive the information you need, when you need it. Open or access your safe and secure account today.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!
See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


  1. Cheryl O.

    I Cant find a user name that is not already used. Need a copy of form 1099

    • A.C.

      Hi, Cheryl. If you are still unable to create an account or encounter a problem with your personal my Social Security account, you may:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office. Your local office can also assist with a replacement SSA-1099. We hope this helps.

  2. Barbara J.

    Why do I need a US mailing address to create a “my social security” account? People overseas need an account more than anyone else.

  3. Petros

    In order to create My Social Security personal account you need a US mailing address…What happens when you live in Europe and particularly in Athens? The system doesn’t accept a mailing address outside of USA..Any suggestions?…of course I have US relatives in USA…should I use their own address? Thank you in advance ….Petros

  4. Kathy O.

    I would like to receive my Social Security Statement to my home address.
    Kathy J Olsen
    1230 Damyien Arch
    Chesapeake, Va 23320
    It’s been a while since I received a statement.
    Thank you.

  5. Holly W.

    I would like to put sum of my benefits on a different card,how would I go about that?

  6. Chester C.

    Need to change my address to 1005 files Ferry Rd#312 Marion,Al.36756
    From 3691 hwy 183 Uniontown, Al.

  7. William W.

    My comment is that I reside overseas in Thailand. Having only an overseas residence means that I am unable to establish a MY SOCIAL SECURITY ACCOUNT. I will respectfully suggest that there are many U.S. citizens who retire overseas and would like to be joined with Social Security online. Thank You.

  8. Tanya p.

    Been at a temporary address with my moms resident due to restraing order in la Mesa I’ve since lost my home it caused divorce and revenge against myself and my family even as far as being followed up by my moms home in sun city, ca having been followed and my car hit on left and right tear at the same time by two vehicles friends and family of the person I have a restraining order against. I fear their f as miky and friends are getting into all my accounts with them working in law enforcement, social security offices and even modified my state medical and ebt on a consistent basis messing with my medical food and benefits from my own federal benefits I paid with my jobs . Trying to seek revenge against me for my criminal civil and financial abuse restraining orders filed at el cajon ca court house where he also has friends and family members working and messing with my protection order cases.. I am legally Tanya Sue David DeVelbiss David Palser. I’ve had family members pass away with his friends and family trying to take mine and my DeVelbiss children’s benefits from us by changing their workman children to DeVelbiss in Tennessee.. trying to take my children legal Benefits and inheritance and sports memorabilia in my children’s name and collecting profit off of them. My phone number is 619-771-7311 temporary address is with my legal biological mother Cathy Jo Thrasher David in sun city till I can get a place where I will be safe from their revenge a restraining order they have out after me for my cases.

  9. Jules E.

    How to prosecute someone that stole my debit card took money off it

  10. Cathy J.

    I cannot get into my account because I can’t remember my answers to the security questions. In order to get a temporary password, I need to update my mailing address since I just moved. How can I do this?

Comments are closed.