Disability, Online Services, SSI

New Wage Reporting Application

June 28, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 1 Minute

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

woman on computer On June 2, 2018, new capabilities were added to my Social Security accounts. The my Social Security online portal now accepts wage reports electronically from Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients and deemors, concurrent beneficiaries, and representative payees. This capability had been available only to Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) beneficiaries and their representative payees.

This new application makes it possible to avoid visits to a field office to report wages in person.  However, users must still contact an office to report when they first start working for each new employer. It’s also important to note that representative payees are able to report wages, but won’t have access to beneficiaries’ or recipient’s other information. When you sign up for or log in to your personal my Social Security account, you’ll have access to this convenient application on your desktop, laptop, and mobile device. After you report your wages online, you can save or print a copy of your receipt.

We’re expanding and improving our services to put you in control of your time by providing applications and services when, where, and how you need them.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Laverne T.

    My social security is not allowing me to get the information I need I am trying to find out how much money I am allowed to make while working and collecting social security

  2. NORA V.


    • V.V.

      Hi Nora. If your granddaughter is receiving SSI, you will need to:
      •Call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; or
      •Contact your local Social Security office.

  3. Marguerite L.

    I emailed you this morning telling you my problem. I was wrong in the amount. I said $2004.70. That’s wrong. It should be $1844.10. What I received for November was not $1844.10. It was less.

  4. Murray A.

    Is there a way to look up my overall or history paystubs (2018) in case if i miss filling in the paystubs information? I do have my social security account.

  5. Leslie J.

    I have been receiving a death benefit since my husband died in 2010. I am now working part time and wondering how much can I make without affecting that? If I’m making too much I need to discontinue it.

    Thank you

    Mrs. Miller

    • V.V.

      Hi Leslie. Thank you for your question. There are limits on how much survivors may earn while they receive benefits. The allowable amount depends on your age. If you attain full retirement age in 2018, the earnings limit is $45,360 but we only count earnings before the month you reach full retirement age. Beginning with the month you reach full retirement age, earnings no longer reduce your benefits, no matter how much you earn. If you’re under full retirement age for the entire year, then we deduct $1 from benefit payments for every $2 earned above the annual limit. For 2018, that limit is $17,040.

  6. Marianne M.

    I told my local social security office a year ago I started working part time. I get a little SSI each month. I was never told to report anything…only that SS would figure it out eventually. As of this month I can no longer work because I started having seizures. I’m afraid SS will send me a letter saying “OOPS! Looks like we overpaid you…we will take it out of your next SS check or checks until the SSI is paid off.” What will happen?

  7. Jacqueline M.


    Several years back SSA sent me for a reveiw update on my medical status. I was told to fill out a medical release with my Dr’s name at the time of medical review and the results would be sent to him. They never were, I ave called and sent letters to both my local and national SSA office asking to please send me a copy of the Doctor’s findings. I have been told, call or go to local office I have, also told they don’t have to release findings of the physical. The review did find me disabled, but I really need to know the opinion of the M.D that examined me. Please tell me what I need to do to get a copy of the M.D’s professional opinion on my disability please. Thank you so much for any assistance.

  8. Alvin M.

    How can I report my employment.
    I tried by phone that didnt work.

  9. Jawn S.

    I planned on taking advice from the social security advisor, yet the Voc Rehab person is treating me very poorly and when I was contacted about keeping on the wait list for over a year now, I said to keep me on in a phone conversation documented by my phone, weeks later I was told that since they couldn’t reach me that I would be removed from the list. I had to call them again and do not know if they are going to do the right thing in Helena Montana.
    I wish someone would speak on my behalf about the matter and let them know to be accountable for their failed attempt to help me get retrained and back working. Please contact me about this matter. Thank you

    • R.F.

      Hello Jawn. Unfortunately, but for security reasons, we do not have access to personal records in this blog. Please continue working with your local office. You can request to speak with the manager to see how we can help to resolve your situation. If you are unable to visit the local office, you can call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, representatives are available Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Generally, you will have a shorter wait time if you call later in the week. Thanks.

  10. Dan &.

    My husband is on disability because of his back and cancer. He used to have his own business and is feeling good enough to fool around with his woodworking for right now. It’s the first time in 1.5 yrs he’s been able to do this, and even if it’s for a short time, it’s the BEST medicine for him mentally!
    He contacted ss disability and was told 2 scenarios for reporting his income (he has built some cabinet doors, etc. and sold them).
    We were told that he could report any income online. T Then we were told that he would have to “Mail In” any income info.
    Could you please clarify? The second person he spoke with was very short with him (almost to the point of rudeness, I’m sorry to say), and maybe was just having a bad day. Online would be so much easier.
    Dan & Sheila Sennet
    shsen45@ me.com

    • V.V.

      Sheila, thank you for using our blog to ask your question. Individuals receiving Social Security disability benefits and Supplemental Security Income may use the my Social Security online wage reporting tool. However, if your husband needs to report self-employment earnings, he cannot do that online. He can report his income by visiting, calling, or writing his local Social Security Office. See Reporting Wages Online for more information.

Comments are closed.