Online Services, Social Security Number and Card

Need to Change Your Name on Your Social Security Card?

October 9, 2018 • By

Reading Time: 2 Minutes

Last Updated: November 3, 2023

A stack of social security cardsAre you changing your name? If so, let Social Security know so we can update your information, send you a corrected card, and make sure you get the benefits you’ve earned.

To change your name on your card, you must show us documents proving your legal name change and identity. If you are a U.S. citizen, you also must show us a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in our records. You must present original documents or copies certified by the agency that issued them. We can’t accept photocopies or notarized copies.

To prove your legal name change, you must show one of the following documents:

  • Marriage document.
  • Divorce decree.
  • Certificate of naturalization showing a new name.
  • Court order for a name change.

To prove your identity, you must show an unexpired document showing your name, identifying information, and photograph, such as one of the following:

  • U.S. driver’s license.
  • State-issued non-driver’s identification card.
  • U.S. passport.

If you don’t have one of those documents available, we may be able to accept your:

  • Employer identification card.
  • School identification card.
  • Health insurance card.
  • U.S. military identification card.

To prove your U.S. citizenship, you must show one of the following documents:

  • U.S. birth certificate.
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • U.S. passport (unexpired).
  • Certificate of Naturalization.
  • Certificate of Citizenship.

Whatever your reason for your name change, Social Security is here to help you with the new… you! Fill out the form online and follow the instructions to ensure your Social Security card is delivered in a timely manner. You can also locate your local field office so you can apply for your updated card and show your required documents in person.

For complete instructions, visit our Social Security Number and Card page, which includes information for non-citizens. And remember, if you simply need to replace a lost Social Security card, but don’t need to change your name, you can — in most states — request your replacement card online using your personal my Social Security account.

Did you find this Information helpful?

Thanks for your feedback!

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications

Jim Borland, Acting Deputy Commissioner for Communications


  1. Jo E.

    My name has been Jo Ellen Janson for years, When I married Keith Wills, I changed my name to Jo Ellen Janson Wills.

    My name when I was born it was Jo Ellen Janson in 1954. Jo is my first name, Ellen is my middle name, and Janson is my last name.

    I added my husbands name when I was married to my last name.

    At some time Social Security changed my name. I don’t know who did this, I never authorized anyone to combine my first and middle name as my first name. I need someone to look into who and why this was done. I keep arguing with my doctor to correct my name, but they say that you told them that my name was changed. They thought that you cannot accommodate a 2 letter name.

    Jo is my first name and I am really upset over this. I want my record corrected.

    • Ray F.

      Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page for complete information on how to correct your name on your Social Security number/card. If you need further assistance and need to speak to one of our agents, call our toll free number at 1-800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thanks!

      • Christina B.

        I just want to change my middle name how do I do that

  2. Eva R.

    I believe this process to be bias and borderline immigration profiling, I received mail delivered to me by the United States mail service and by Social Security since my employment of 30 plus years documents me as a US citizen….this mail has been delivered to my residence, as I approached retirement age, and demonstrates my employment history!! Any barriers to retirement should be an illegal process, my taxes were taking from me through my employment and with each and every employment. As a Native of the United States it saddens me to even receive documentation GENERALIZED mail due to my surname, last or married.

  3. Marlene E.

    Change of Address:
    Marlene Epps-Curry, 8800 NE 82nd St. #171, Kansas City, MO. 64158; (816)883-8588(DOB) 02/09/1939
    (SS#*** – ** – ***)
    0ld address was: 12200 E. 56th Terrace, Kansas City, MO, 64133

  4. gerald h.

    no name change needed, never received new media care card

  5. Ricky

    Can I get a copy of my birth certificate from social security or where??

    • Patricia

      You get a copy from the repository, usually the city or county of birth.

    • BETTY G.

      county courthouse or state dept. vital statistics

  6. Connie A.

    ever since I remarried and changed my name I have had trouble getting into my account. Do I need to go to the local SS office to have my account transferred over to my new name? Your guidance is appreciated

  7. Maria L.

    Good morning, it’s Wed. 7:48 am, NZ time, Yes I am waiting for such a long time to find real people to help me catch, who took my identity stolen my documents, but I am the “ORIGINAL” person who got married at Miami/Fla. since 1981 and I work at Hiahleah Factory but they closed the factory already and I did not get anything. That’s why I got my US Soc. Sec. Card lifetime number and I never change my name, fighting for my right to find out who is using my name there. My ex-husband pass-away already and I have his “Death Cert. He signed for my Naturalization/and he left me his US DD214 documents and US Passport for my son.But I do not know what happened to my US Passport that was approved and he hide it so that I can not go traveling that’s what I know.But I have old documents about Naturalization. I don’t have copy of my Divorce paper but I am registered this year we find at registration system and I have it here. I also have the “Original Cert. of Eligibility for Housing and I never used it yet.OK please let me know if you can cooperate w/me who are using my identity.Right now me and my two son’s stay in NZ Permanently and we are sponsored by the old man partner of my eldest siter Elena Dulay but He also pass-away. Thank you.

    • Snarky

      Was there a question in there some where or at least a purpose for your post?

  8. Violet P.

    With the passing of my husband following 64 years of marriage I have found social security if a rip off for the living spouse. Due to my woring at various ties during our life I was drawing on my Social Security as that was
    how I was adise at the time and my hsband drw on his
    but at his passing I still had to draw on mine and they gave me a percentage of his which has left in a low income. I feel I was given a low percentage as he had worked all his life. He started working at s14 and his life ended at age 88. Also, it is unfair that a person can be married several times (10 years to each person) and at his/her retirement they all get a share while those of us are married to one person all our lives we get a nothing accomplishing a good wholesome life.

  9. D'Laine H.

    My name is correct on my SS card but I do not understand why the same name does not appear on my Medicare card. I have always gone by my middle name and now it creates issues with my private insurance which uses my middle name and my Medicare card which has my first name and middle initial

    • Nytisha

      Hello, on the document I saw i need both parents ssn. My father and I are not on speaking terms so I doubt he’ll give to me. Is there a way around this?

      • Meathead

        if you are over 18 you do not need your parents ssi #.. Why aren’t you and your Father on speaking terms? Actually that is private and you should not feel as though you need to share that with the public. But if you aren’t speaking to him then he must of mistreated you

  10. veronica B.

    I dont need to change my name. My details are still same.

    • Snarky

      Well, goodie goodie for you!

      • EVEREEN S.


        • Jonny

          play some game ? U can login at Supra4D

          • indojayatogel

            Data sgp tercepat dan terlengkap hanya disini

          • bobby

            faster result togel at indojayatogel

          • Togel 7.

            check Live Draw Sgp for live result sgp everyday.

        • IONBET88

          IONBET88 Merupakan salah satu Agen SBOBET Euro2020 serta Bandar BOLA88 yang layak menjadi salah satu rekomendasi untuk bermain Judi Online

          • paitopools

            The best data hk site that is enjoyed by most people today and the most popular

        • mbahgatot

          situs data sgp terpercaya dan teraman, data sgp terlengkap dan terpercaya teraman dan terpercaya di indonesia

          • Situs N.

            Nonton Anime dengan Sub Indo dan kualtias vidio yang tinggi hanya ada di AnimeMalam

          • Panenpoker

      • 7betasia

        check Live Draw Sgp for live result sgp everyday.

        • indogoal4d

          situs resmi hasil sidney terbaik dan terpopuler di kalangan masyarakat, sangat baik untuk kita simak bersama data sidney tentunya. Semua orang berminat dan tertarik untuk bermain dengan data sidney yang paling di cari oleh para penggemar togel online di seluruh dunia

          • togelsakti4d

            Pasaran togel online yang paling diminati para pemain togel yang sangat baik. transaksi depo dan wd yang sangat cepat akan membantu para member untuk lebih memper mudah transaksi dalam bermain.

        • 8togel

          kunjungi untuk mendapatkan hasil pengeluaran togel secara resmi dah sah.

          • togelonline338

            data sidney terlengkap dan update setiap harinya

    • situs

      senangpoker Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

      • iolpoker

    • DGPKR88

      Thank you for the Poker Online auspicious writeup. It if truth be told was once a leisure account it. Look complicated to far delivered agreeable from you! However, how can we be in contact?

    • Situs N.

      Nonton Anime dengan Sub inddo, dan kualitas vidio yang tinggi hanya ada disini

    • LonteQQ

      Lonteqq adalah situs permainan Poker Online dengan tingkat kemenangan tinggi dan memberikan banyak kemenangan cuma cuma sejak bergabung.

      • Sakong R.

        Sakong Online adalah permainan populer di dalam pkv games yang tersedia di VIRALQQ.

    • senang4d

      nice explanation. thanks for sharing.
      SENANG4D merupakan Situs slot online terpercaya

    • jeniustoto

      Banyak yang terbaik dan selalulah tetap bijak dalam memilih permainan bandar togel singapore

    • yvonne

      I need assistance on changing my last name on my social security card I just got married

      • Vonda V.

        Hi Yvonne. Thank you for using our blog to ask your question. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to change your name on your Social Security card. Keep in mind that the Social Security offices are currently closed. You may need to wait for them to reopen to conduct your business. We apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

Comments are closed.