General, Online Services

my Social Security 101: When You Need Additional Help With Your Account

May 20, 2021 • By

Last Updated: August 19, 2021

Sometimes we need help with or have questions about our online accounts. For your convenience, we want to share some frequently asked questions you may find helpful with your personal my Social Security account needs.

What if I forgot my username or password?

It happens to all of us on occasion. We can’t remember our username or password. If you’ve forgotten your username or password – perhaps even both – we have you covered. Visit our my Social Security Sign In page and select “Forgot Username” or “Forgot Password.” Follow the prompts, and in just a few minutes you will be back in business – Social Security business.

What if I am locked out of my account?

Your account may be locked because you – or perhaps someone else – entered inconsistent or incorrect information. We lock your account to protect your information. If you are locked out of your account, you can call our my Social Security Help Desk at 1-800-772-1213 from Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET. When you call, say “Help Desk” at the voice prompt.

How can I block access to my account?

We know that in certain instances, like for victims of domestic violence or identity theft, you may want to block access to your information.  You can choose to block any automated telephone and electronic access to your Social Security record. When you do this, no one, including you, will be able to see or change your personal information online or through our automated telephone service.

Please call us at 1-800-772-1213 or call your local Social Security office if you need to block access to your record. You can find the number for your local office using our Office Locator. If you change your mind in the future, you can contact us and ask us to unblock it.

What if I live overseas?

At this time, you must have a United States mailing address to create a personal my Social Security account. People with an overseas APO/FPO/DPO address can create an account, but our system does not yet support registration for users with a foreign address. However, you may be able to access our services by creating an account. is a Single Sign-On provider that meets the U.S. government’s most rigorous requirements for online identity proofing and authentication. On our my Social Security account set up page, select Sign in with and follow the link to create an account.

We recommend that people living outside the U.S. contact the nearest Federal Benefits Unit or U.S. embassy for any assistance related to our programs and benefits. Our Office of Earnings and International Operations page also has more information.

What if I need additional help?

We’re happy to help with any difficulties you’re having with your personal my Social Security account. For assistance, you may call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778). Lines are open from Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET. Please say “Help Desk” at the voice prompt. You can also contact your local Social Security office.

We encourage you to sign up for your personal my Social Security account if you haven’t done so. Please share this information with your family and friends—and help us spread the word on social media.

Tags: , , ,

See Comments

About the Author

Darlynda Bogle, Assistant Deputy Commissioner


Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment.

  1. Anonymous P.

    It would be nice is we could actually register.

    Registration uses the Jewish Credit Bureau System to “verify” you (lol good joke), which I’m not a part of. It instead poses a security question about my LANDLEECH, whom owns the property I live at for the last 4 years…and he’s not on f*cking ssi nor does his name look anything like mine

    Gee thanks, sh1t heads.

    I have to register in person, Norfolk is an hour away, and I don’t own a f*cking car and have to live on $790 SSI, so of course years later I am still no t registered.

    Of course, it’s nigh impossible to call in, and of course, you can’t register for the website over the phone. It was recommended to block registration if you aren’t or can’t register, so that just seals the deal even further.

    Nice to know our government is trying to out-jew the rest of capitalist society

  2. Shari L.

    I have tried for two days to reach you by the phone number provided. I set up my online account 9 years ago and have accessed many times but it no longer even recognizes my email address. I am sunk. PLEASE don’t tell me to try calling because no one ever answers. I need a physical address or an email address.

  3. Ann

    I set up an ssa account with my social security and when I tried to access that account, it said this is not the correct email address, it took me through the verification process and it still said not the correct email address. How do I reset my account and start over with the new email address or is there an IT department that can help me. I called the 800 but I get conflicting information

  4. Jessica C.

    I no longer have access to the email associated with my account. I signed up for my account a few years ago and only accessed it a couple times so I can’t remember my password. I do know my username though. What can I do? Desperately need to order a replacement ss card

  5. James

    Hi, I have been trying for 2 days to reach the Help Desk for help with My Social Security signon. What else can I do?

    • Vonda

      Hi James, thanks for using our blog. We are sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing contacting Social Security. The help desk is available to callers between 8:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. (Eastern Time). You can also contact your local Social Security office directly. Look for the general inquiry telephone number using our Social Security Office Locator link. We hope this helps! 

  6. Robert D.

    I am not able to log into my account because my existing e-mail account is blocked I want to switch account to new e-mail

    • Patty

      Hi Robert.  Thanks for your question. If you have a new email address, check out our Blog: How to Change Your Second Factor Authentication for Your Personal my Social Security Account. If you still need assistance, you may call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Eastern Time). At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or contact your local Social Security office.  Please look for the general inquiry telephone number at the Social Security Office Locator.  The number may appear under Show Additional Office information.  Please be aware that our call wait times are longer than normal.  We hope this information helps.

  7. Mikel

    I’m trying to open an online account and I’m having major problems. I received an email from SSA on August 25th 2021 when I finally got this far, stating I should be receiving a code to put in within the next 5-10 business days but I’m still waiting for this code as of September 16th 2021. When I called my local office they said I’ve been locked out. Why? What can I do to solve this problem? All the local offices are closed due to covid and speaking on the phone to a representative doesn’t seem to help.

    • Patty

      Hi Mikel. We are sorry that you are having difficulty creating a personal my Social Security account. We have established a dedicated my Social Security hotline to assist with account issues. You may call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.  At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk. We hope this helps.

    • Michele M.

      Hi I. Having same issue local office is rude and wished I got the girls name whom twice I got .I’m disabled and was treated like a third rate citizen

      • Vonda

        We are sorry to hear about your experience, Michele. You can submit feedback by visiting our Contact Social Security page. Once there, select the “Email Us” link. This will take you to the “Email A Question to our Support Team” form, where you can complete and submit a compliment, complaint, or suggestion. We hope this helps.

  8. Mary E.

    How do I apply for spousal benefits?

    • Patty

      Hi Mary. Thank you for your question.  To qualify for spouse’s benefits, your spouse must be receiving retirement or disability benefits.  Also, if you qualify for Social Security benefits on your own record we pay that amount first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouses benefit.  However, keep in mind that a spouse’s benefit cannot exceed one-half of the worker’s full retirement amount (not their reduced benefit amount). For more information go to our Benefits for Your Spouse web page.

      Check out our Apply for Social Security Benefits web page which provides the details on applying for Retirement or Spouse’s Benefits. We hope this is helpful!

  9. Susan B.

    Is is possible to change the username associated with my “my Social Security” account?

    • Patty

      Hi Susan.  Thank you for the question. Check out our Frequently Asked Questions web page for details on how to retrieve or change your username and password. If you still encounter difficulties, call us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. At the voice prompt, say “helpdesk”; or contact your local Social Security office for assistance.  We hope this helps.


Leave a Comment

Please review our Comment Policy before leaving a comment. For your safety, please do not post Personally Identifiable Information (such as your Social Security Number, address, phone number, email address, bank account number, or birthdate) on our blog.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *